1985 Dodge Power Ram W150 steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
Not following that Wolfie. Just pound the pin and the plastic piece at same time ? I think it's moot. I'm already pressing forward with mashing down those flanges and devising a way to shore that up some. When I figure something out I'll post it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do you got a proper roll pin punch? usually it should just push it right out with a roll pin punch. i did about 2 or 3 a couple months again and all came apart pretty easy but none of my steering boxes were on a vehicle.

OP
OP
Brucecmc

Brucecmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 Power Ram W-150
Engine
318 V8 5.2L
I have several sizes of punches. Dunno if they're "proper" or not. But, I think I'll save this for a future effort. Like when I decide this crappy set up needs to be replaced with the borgeson heavy duty telescopic steering shaft #000940 (which I probably should have done instead of this). Guess I was more curious than anything on this effort.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya normal flat tip punchs are definitely not the same as a rollpin punch. a roll pin punch has a little bump on the tip the keep the roll pin from bending in when you hammer on it. sometimes having the proper tools makes things so much easier but then again you live and learn. a borgeson steering shaft is the best route to go especially if you plan on keeping the truck.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the Borgesson shaft on my 1977 Ramcharger and it rocked. The stock one was sloppy and dangerous.

ajs196

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9L

Bill1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm to lazy to read this entire post but I just did the rebuild kit lastnight with my brother. It is fairly easy and took almost all my play out. If you can grab the shaft and tug on it and it moves a bunch, they say you need a rebuild. RamchargerCentral.Com - Articles - Dodge Steering Coupler Repair - Dodge Ram, Ramcharger, Cummins, Jeep, Durango, Power Wagon, Trailduster, all Mopar Truck & SUV Owners. Dodgeram I know its a different forums page but this guy explains the steps well.
I did mine the cheap way picked up a lower steering shaft with a ujont in it from a late 90s Tahoe shorten my stock shaft carefully ground flats on each side to slide it together and clamped the u joint to the steering box input shaft cost a whole 12$ for the lower shaft off the Tahoe when I did a 3"body lift later the shaft wasn't an issue it's still on and no issues

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk