when do should you replace transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rajohasa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
We have a 2003 dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 dually with auto that we only use to pull toys ,5th wheel toy hauler ,boats etc. It has 118k miles but since we really only use this truck for long trips at what point do you build the transmission ? Always keep Lucas in all my transmissions and truthfully after owning 3 dodge Cummins I have never had a transmission failure ! Got a big trip coming up to haul toy hauler and atvs to west Virginia .

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is working fine, and you service it properly, you've got a long way to go before you need to rebuild it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Keep running it til it fails.

OP
OP
R

rajohasa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
When do most fail ? I do keep it serviced ,I think most g.ms fail little over 100k ,dodges I always figured around 130-150 ? Is there a average when they go ! We just finished building a toy hauler and with two kids and a trailer loaded with atvs I just wanna to know when to expect it .

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have no signs of it going, you should be good for a while. Issues with auto trans' include slipping, shifting differently cold vs warm, changes in shifting (without reprogramming), Frequent locking an unlocking of the torque converter.

If you don't notice any weird changes, you are fine... When it goes, either get a rebuilt one and swap it, or have yours rebuilt.

I wouldn't worry until then.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is no set point when it's going to fail. Run it and forget about it.

Pretty much. Yours is much stouter, the 545RFE behind the hemis is decent enough if you leave the engine stock. You start putting some power to it and the crap factory programming doesn't cope well and eventually they fail prematurely. I'm on my third lol.