1990 radio swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movindirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hello all, I have a 1990 w250 that has the factory radio in it, it doesn't work really at all anymore, so I want to switch it to a new radio. I am not very good with wiring, is it very hard to switch one out?

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
It's easy I'm 16 lol. Those trucks have less wiring than newer trucks if you want to do a direct wire. Even easier if you do a metra kit that hooks up to the factory harness. All you need to remember is the colors and what they are and you'll be good.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
most 72-00 dodge vehicle use the same radio hole and the 88ish and newer vehicles have the same connector as the 88-00 stereo's. just have to make sure you don't get a stereo out of one of the vehicles with the Bose setup. you can also go aftermarket. that usually cost you about $30 on top of the new stereo for the direct wiring kit and face-plate adapter.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Nope - but if you haven't installed a car radio in 25 years - like me, when I did it :rolleyes: - set aside about 2 weeks worth of summer evenings, to do it right. :eek:

gwgdog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
My brother and a buddy replaced the stock stero in my 90 D150 this past weekend. I bought the kit to hook up to the stock factory connectors. I also bought the kit to make the single Din Sony stero fit the dash. Replaced the stock speakers with kickers and it sounds pritty good. Just take your time and follow the directions. Good luck

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either get a schoshe or other factory install adapter and it takes literally about an hour to swap out the stereo. I'd also replace the door speakers.