1740 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I just bought a 2001 5.9 off-road that has come with a 1740 code. I have found the code is tied to the tcc. For a few bucks I'll replace the filter,fluid and all the solenoid. My question is

What is the easiest way to replace the tcc/od solenoid? Should I remove the valve body or just the thing at the end with the three torch. I know there are two springs in the second method that could make it a pita. Are there any issues with removing the valve body? I am handy but by no means a transmission expert.

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I know there is a chance my torque converter clutches are worn. If this is the case would I see crap in the pan when I drop it?

Obviously I'm hoping it is a clogged filter or a bad solenoid. They are much cheaper and easier. But before I throw money and time at the solenoid I want to see if the torque converter is already bad.

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Oh. The fluid is still red and doesn't smell burned.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would drop the valvebody BUT leave it connected to the parking pawl. It will hang, not quite enough weight to do any damage, and, if you're a little careful pulling on solenoid you'll be fine and won't have to **** with the eclip up top. Dropping it this way gives you more room to work mostly but keeps it easy to keep everything organized and free from losing.

If the fluid isn't bad I'd suspect
A. Solenoid
B. Wiring going to the PCM

Code sets if the pcm doesn't detect drop in rpm from lockup at all our not quick enough. Myself, I've had that code for nearly 6 years now. Still daily drive it. However, i don't really have lockup either. I know my tcc is pretty much gone.

If you're not getting lockup or it shifts funny/******, you'll likely want to replace the tc. I haven't been concerned with mine much as i have a PATC MegaViper sitting in a storage unit for when I'm ready for it lol

OP
OP
S

Sterling

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 offroad
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for the safe advice. You're a life saver.

Now I don't have the eclip, phhhw. Do I have to worry about the neutral safety switch like 48re I saw on YouTube