Anyone seen this and how to fix it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 1979 1947
Engine
440 318 flathead
Changing out the fuel in my tank and found the filter laying in the bottom, its a brand new Mopar sending unit only installed a couple of years ago and the truck has less than 100 miles since installation.

Any ideas what holds it on, just slides on and will slide back off at this point.

1986 W100

Attachments

• Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 57

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I wouldn't worry about it. Leave it off. You can install a filter before the fuel pump or after, which you should already have anyway.
Either a cheap one or go exotic.

Attachments

• th (5).jpg
    th (5).jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 132

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is just a screen to keep crap from being sucked up. it is not really needed but it would be nice if you can re-attach it. how is that stainless steel unit holding up otherwise?

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 1979 1947
Engine
440 318 flathead
I know what it is and what its supposed to do and how to get around it having to be there but Im going to assume that if Chrysler spent all that extra money to include that in the fuel pump package that I should make an effort to figure out why it wont stay on.

Ive had no problems with the pump but then as I mentioned the truck was put on the rear burner for some other projects that needing attending.

Thanks for the comments anyway and I hope everyone got what they wished for this Christmas day.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya but is at an original sending unit? i am pretty sure you are the one that pointed me to the stainless steel units on another website. now since the sending unit would not be an original there is the possibility that they cheaped out on stuff like the in tank screen

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its just a pre filter screen. It does screen down bigger particulate matter prior to it getting to the filter. Personally, id remove it and let the fuel filter filter it out and allow it to be removed from the tank instead of that screen letting it stay in the tank. You are right about it being designed in but many people take them off and allow the filter to catch it and just change out the filter once a year or every five or so depending on use. Oh, and it is held on by friction fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 1979 1947
Engine
440 318 flathead
ya but is at an original sending unit? i am pretty sure you are the one that pointed me to the stainless steel units on another website. now since the sending unit would not be an original there is the possibility that they cheaped out on stuff like the in tank screen

Definitely original Mopar, I am certain of that. Cant remember how I got it but ...Oh yes dealer going out, overstock, online in a Mopar box.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 1979 1947
Engine
440 318 flathead
Well after things dried out the friction started in again and it went on sorta tight, I put it back on, installed the tank and I believe its still on there. At least I made an attempt I guess to do the right thing.

If it falls off than so be it. Thanks for the responses