Is it worth fixing, and modding with 215k miles on body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As the title states, is it worth modding, and fixing the truck if it has 215 on the body, new tranny (Previous Owner)? I plan on having the truck for a while, and then sell it later. It's a 98, and I paid 1200 for it, and was thinking of making new cab corners, replacing the box, repainting, and straightening the bumpers, and fabricating some new bottoms for the fenders, and then different heads and tails, doing the plenum+ full tune up, intake, exhaust, debadging, different wheels. And probably more. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you already made your decision? Why go through all that trouble and not keep it, let alone by it in the first place. If my old '95's frame want rusted through and every body panel shot, I'd still have it lol. Only paid $500 for an rcsb 360 5spd manual 4wd. I'd rather have that over my 3rd gen.

OP
OP
D

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like you already made your decision? Why go through all that trouble and not keep it, let alone by it in the first place. If my old '95's frame want rusted through and every body panel shot, I'd still have it lol. Only paid $500 for an rcsb 360 5spd manual 4wd. I'd rather have that over my 3rd gen.
When I sell it, it'll be because Ill be heading off to college, I'm actually a high school student that has a pretty big passion for vehicles, haha. But thanks!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah...that don't make a lot of financial sense. It's not worth much. I'd fix what needs to be fixed to keep it running but the rest will just be sunk costs you'll never recover.

OP
OP
D

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah...that don't make a lot of financial sense. It's not worth much. I'd fix what needs to be fixed to keep it running but the rest will just be sunk costs you'll never recover.
But at the same time, I'm wanting it to be a mud truck to run it through, and I won't be sticking much into it to fix it up. So I'm not sure.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i agree with Maddog. it really sounds like you would end up spending more on fixing the truck up than the truck would ever be worth even in decent shape. also when you say mudtruck i think money pit because the moment you mud stuff all the weak or old stuff starts breaking.

OP
OP
D

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay. I see where you guys are coming from. The way I see it is: I paid 1200 for the truck. Realistically. If I fix it up, I can get close to 2500, in my area. Bases upon it having 235K, which is about what I'll put on it total. A box is $500 rust free. Cab corners I can do for free, plus paint. Bumpers are paint, which I already have the paint. Heads and tails are $170. Plenum and tune up would be about 300. Intake will be cheap, exhaust will be cheap. Debadging is free. And wheels, I can get for probably 200. So all in all. $2370 invested for 2 years of a vehicle.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how bad is the box on it? if it is not too bad you might be better off to just pretty it up especially if you plan on only keeping it for 2 years. foil tape and a thin lair of latex caulking to smooth things out would probably make things look just fine under a coat of paint but then again i am taking my dads word on that. he use to do body work. we filled above the wheel wells on my 91's box with bondo and sealed it up pretty good and it looked the same for the entire time i had that truck.

OP
OP
D

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
how bad is the box on it? if it is not too bad you might be better off to just pretty it up especially if you plan on only keeping it for 2 years. foil tape and a thin lair of latex caulking to smooth things out would probably make things look just fine under a coat of paint but then again i am taking my dads word on that. he use to do body work. we filled above the wheel wells on my 91's box with bondo and sealed it up pretty good and it looked the same for the entire time i had that truck.
It's not bad. I'd have to weld in or pop rivet some new metal above the wheel wells. Everything else for fixing rust I don't have to put any new metal in.