Manual Seat recline issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has fully manual seats, so no electrics to deal with on this one but there is a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and if there's an easy fix for it:

My driver's seat recline does not hold itself into place. There seems to be a sweet spot where it will keep the seat upright, but if I try to recline it at all, it will just flop all the way back, which isn't a good thing when you're taking off from a stop light. The spot that it locks into is a bit too upright for me, and being partially disabled, it really hurts my back to drive it like that.

I have not taken the seat out to see if there's an obvious problem, but I have looked at the seat mechanism in the truck and it seems to be pretty over-complicated for a simple manual seat recline. I was looking for a simple cam and lever setup, but that is definitely not what Dodge decided to put in these trucks.

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
I have a related but different problem: 2004 1500 Quadcab, manual seats, I can find NO mechanism to adjust the seat back. Did Dodge build a drivers-side seat that wasn't adjustable???

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That recline function is friction based.

All you may need to do is pull the cover off the arm where the pivot point is and tighten the screw/bolt that is there. Sometimes that's all it takes. Other times you may have to pull it apart and replace worn bushings or washers.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a related but different problem: 2004 1500 Quadcab, manual seats, I can find NO mechanism to adjust the seat back. Did Dodge build a drivers-side seat that wasn't adjustable???

Adjustable how? Recline? Lumbar? Height?

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
Adjustable how? Recline? Lumbar? Height?

Forward and backward are OK with 3-sided tubular bar under the front edge of the seat bottom, and it works fine. I find NOTHING that adjusts the seat back, anywhere, no lever on seat side, under front, side of back, back of seat back, nuthin' anywhere. Did the really make a non-adjustable seat back? The back seems to be slightly leaning back, it's bad on long trips.