Replacing turn signal stalk/multifunction switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My turn signal switch/stalk is acting up when turning left. It doesn't always return to the middle and I have to sometime lift it up to help it out.

I took the switch apart and tried greasing the mechanism but even with the stalk out of the truck and in my hand testing, it still sticks so im guessing the plastic just wore out a bit (92k miles).

My truck is out of warranty and it is part #56046114ad which is now superseded by part# 56046114ae

Do these new trucks require re-programming if I end up getting stuck with the superseded part? I know the german vehicles are very picky with stuff like this and I can't do anything on my VW without reprogramming modules.

Also anyone know why it got superseded or if there was an improvement?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the functions of the new part number are same as the old unit, no reflash is necessary.

I have no idea what the changes were.

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
changing is super easy
from what i remember its only a 4 wire plus and i don't even think its screwed in
it just pops in and out
i did a 2012 caravan and was surprised at how easy it truly was
can't see trucks being any different as they run off the same system

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
changing is super easy
from what i remember its only a 4 wire plus and i don't even think its screwed in
it just pops in and out
i did a 2012 caravan and was surprised at how easy it truly was
can't see trucks being any different as they run off the same system

Yeah I already had it out and took it apart to regrease it but still is sticking.

Just the two screws that hold the column cover on, then release the latch, no screws and it pulls straight up.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
92,000 miles on a 2014?! Good God where do you drive?

Seems like a lot of miles but easy to do if you live far from work. I put just over 54k in one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
from what i remember that the switch is released by a nub on the column. if you look at your switch the part that faces inwards. when you flip the switch the nub pops out. if you press on it that should cancel it to the off position. if its working like it should then id be looking at that column.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If the last two letters of a part number roll and the front part stays the same, that newer part most times is backwards compatible and is just a in line change for whatever reason that may have corrected a defect or other internal change.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the last two letters of a part number roll and the front part stays the same, that newer part most times is backwards compatible and is just a in line change for whatever reason that may have corrected a defect or other internal change.

This. It means the part has been superseded, and the new version is considered the correct replacement for any vehicle that used a prior version.