Trying to figure out where LoJack is.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out where my LoJack transmitter might be cuz I don't think its working and I really don want to pay the highly inflated price for LoJack to come out and service it. Anybody ever found theirs? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
do you have to pay a monthly service fee,if so just tell then you want to discontinue monitoring . I'm not qiute how lojac worked BUT NOT paying gets their attention real quick
brianj

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no monthly fee or nothin. It was already in the truck when I bought it. All I had to do was provide a bunch of identification to prove ownership to have it transferred to my name.

Not sure myself how exactly this thing works but, for the plain models, the module isn't activated until LoJack tells it to once you call in and report your vehicle stolen. Mine has a fob that came with it that, if it isn't present in the vehicle once started and moved, LoJack sends alerts to you notifying of unauthorized movement of your vehicle.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing they charge is the cost of the unit and the installation but when you buy a vehicle that has it in there already, all they "recommend" is fee to send someone out to test it and make sure that it works.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I am surprised Lojack still exists. I haven't heard or seen it advertised in years.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theyre probly not as popular as they once were considering all the advances in the technology but they're still around.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the little fob at home one day when you go to work and see what happens. That will let you know if it is working.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the little fob at home one day when you go to work and see what happens. That will let you know if it is working.

See, that's just it, I'm not sure if it is working or not or if it's just because of the area I live in. Since I got the thing transferred into my name over three years ago, I think I've only gotten one alert. I have two sets of keys I alternate but only one LoJack fob.

The other day though, I went down to a fairly big city and left the keys that has the little fob in it at home and I never got a single alert.

Considering the fact that this thing only works in certain areas, I may just yank it out when I find it and just pursue other, more simple and updated options for stolen vehicle recovery.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just wish I could find more information about it elsewhere since LoJack is so tight-lipped about it.

From what I've read on other forums, it is wired to the vehicles unswitched power and supposedly uses a 12 volt battery as a backup. Some have said they did a good job of hiding it and others have said they didn't. Since this is a truck with limited space, it shouldn't be too hard to find. I hope.

If it is a bad connection in the wiring or a bad battery, I got no problem fixing the issue and continue using it.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just talked to the lo jack guy at my work. He says that they are installed in a different place every time so they cannot be easily found. LoJack should have a record of where it is located because they are supposed to come check it out every 3 years or so. Depending on how old the unit is, it may need a battery or something.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Thanks for finding that out. By "supposed to", that something they do free of charge or is that one of the 99 dollar fees to have it looked at?

I'm not sure how old this unit is, I've had the truck for four years this December and it was already in there. When I got it transferred to me they recommend me to pay the fee and have it checked out to make sure it worked. Maybe I shoulda done that. Lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello folks, just reviving this topic. Really needing more input concerning this.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With my experience... if your concerned I would look into a GPS locator. Lo jack I dont see much anymore.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking about upgraded equipment but, Id like to know where they install these things and hopefully somebody on here has found one.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just talked to the lo jack guy at my work. He says that they are installed in a different place every time so they cannot be easily found. LoJack should have a record of where it is located because they are supposed to come check it out every 3 years or so. Depending on how old the unit is, it may need a battery or something.

Hey, where is the common places they like to mount these things?? I've looked behind my glove box, under the steering column, under the front seats, even under the middle, bottom cubbyhole where I think the airbag module is and nothin'..... What kind of trouble to these installers go through to find suitable mounting locations?

I really just wanna find mine to see if it works. See if it has a wire goin to it or if there's a battery backup or something. Maybe the battery is dead. I'm not sure when exactly this thing was put in here, I'm going to assume within the first 4 years of it's life, but it was already in when I bought it.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Try checking behind the side panels at the back of the cab.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try checking behind the side panels at the back of the cab.

I thought about that, especially considering since I seen a few pictures online while desperately trying to find hints, where people had said they found theirs behind the interior C-pillar covers.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I thought about that, especially considering since I seen a few pictures online while desperately trying to find hints, where people had said they found theirs behind the interior C-pillar covers.

It used to be a pretty common place in cars back in the day. They want them to be difficult for a thief to find and rip out, but you have to figure the LoJack techs aren't going to be pulling a bunch of parts out to get to a super crazy hiding spot.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, since the lower seatbelt mounts in this 08 of mine are rather impossible to reach when the only T-50 Torx bit you have is attached to a half-inch drive socket, I didn't get the lower panels all the way off but I did get to see all the way down to the bottom with a flashlight and um, nothin'...

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It used to be a pretty common place in cars back in the day. They want them to be difficult for a thief to find and rip out, but you have to figure the LoJack techs aren't going to be pulling a bunch of parts out to get to a super crazy hiding spot.

They sure did a good one here...lol.

The only other place I'm curious about is behind the cup holder but, I don't know how to remove that without breaking anything.