Alternator charging at 15+ volts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Lately my alternator began charging at 15+ volts. I replaced the alternator, checked all the wiring, checked every ground under the hood and everything seems fine but it still overcharges. Reading 15.2 without a load and 15.8 to 16 with a load but never goes any higher. It may be coincidence but it seems like it started right after I had the intake manifold off doing the plenum plate upgrade. Alternator, a/c, etc. had to come off so not sure if anything could have happened there. Anyone have any ideas? Really hoping it's not the pcm because I need the stock pcm to get me by until I am ready for the 5.9 swap!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The charging voltage is controlled by the PCM. It is likely not a coincidence that this happened right after removing it to access the intake. You should have not just a positive charging lead, but also a second two pin sense and excitation plug on the back of the alternator. Make sure this plug is in and secure. Then retest your charging voltage.

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Mine does not have any electrical connectors. It has a harness with a battery positive wire, 2 ground wires, and a block with two eyelets that bolt to the portion of the regulator on the alternator. All of that is connected properly not to mention I replaced the alternator after all of this started. Unless there is something in the block that connects to the regulator that could cause this I have no idea.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I didn't see that you had a 94, It should be pretty close to the 95 model (thats the oldest service manual I have). There should be 4 connections total. Battery positive, a ground wire, and two additional wires either in a connector or as two ring connectors in your case. Of those two outlined in red, one runs to the PCM for charging voltage control, there is no real voltage regulation occurring in the alternator itself, it is controlled from the PCM.

You may have connected one of those wires, but you may have dropped the other one.

One wire should be 18 gauge and dark green in color, the other also 18 gauge and dark blue in color.

I'm not sure if there is a way to tell which is terminal one on the alternator, so after hooking up the fourth wire nothing happens, try switching those last two.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 24