Another 2500 sping swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I have a 2001 1500 2wd quad cab that I use as a farm/work truck. I also use it to tow a 31 foot camper for short distances (75 miles or less) across flat land. I want to improve its towing capabilities a bit as well as give it a little better stance. In the rear I am planning to add a leaf as well as put on a set of monroe coilovers. In the front I plan on installing new shocks and a set of 2500 coil springs, which leads to my question. I am going to order a new set of springs from Moog, so should i order the springs for the v8 or v10 gasser 2500? I wasnt planning on ordering the diesel springs as it is my understanding that they may lift the front end too much. Anybody have suggestions as to which set I should order? It would be great if I could get a couple of inches of lift in front without having to do any major mods other than popping in new springs and shocks. Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
V8 springs won't be any stiffer than what you have now, v10 and dsl springs are the same

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
So the 2500 front springs are the exact same ones in the 1500?

OP
OP
C

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks yall. Moog makes a replacement spring for the v10/ diesel 2500. I think I'm gonna purchase a pair of these and some new shocks instead of jer king a pair out of junkyard that's 20 years old. Do yall reckon my stock control arms can handle it?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You should be good to swap in the 2500 springs from a V-10 or diesel. There is no difference as far as i'm aware between the 1500 and 2500 mounting wise. Your front end will sit a bit higher, how high i'm not sure, mine has had the diesel set on it since I bought it.

An add a leaf in back will raise it by less than an inch unless the back is really tired. Then it could lift it by 1in or more, but not for very long.

The best bang for your buck would be to goto a place like rockauto or Husky and get some 5 leaf spring packs. That way you are good for your short trips, but if you do want to load it down or go for a longer trip, you won't have to worry about snapping one of the old leafs on the road.

I paid about $350 for the pair, including shipping on a set of Husky springs.

Thats what happened to me at least. I hit a pothole a couple hours from home with a flatbed trailer and small tractor. The rear eye snapped and the spring slammed into my bed, i'm lucky it didn't bust a hole it in.

Now, my back end sits about a 3/4in higher in back, and there is no sway from my travel trailer. Before, I could see the axle shifting slightly when the wind would hit the trailer going down the highway.

Just an FYI to replace the rear springs, you need to drop the tank, or at least loosen it to get access to the front mounting bolt.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I'm not sure how much v10/dsl springs will lift it on the 2wds but if its over 2.5" you will need new upper control arms.

OP
OP
C

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input yall. Dudeman2009 I am gonna take your advice and get a 5 pack of leaf springs for the rear. Did you buy the Husky's off or rockauto? Also is your 1500 a 2wd?

stickpony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I have a 2001 1500 2wd quad cab that I use as a farm/work truck. I also use it to tow a 31 foot camper for short distances (75 miles or less) across flat land. I want to improve its towing capabilities a bit as well as give it a little better stance. In the rear I am planning to add a leaf as well as put on a set of monroe coilovers. In the front I plan on installing new shocks and a set of 2500 coil springs, which leads to my question. I am going to order a new set of springs from Moog, so should i order the springs for the v8 or v10 gasser 2500? I wasnt planning on ordering the diesel springs as it is my understanding that they may lift the front end too much. Anybody have suggestions as to which set I should order? It would be great if I could get a couple of inches of lift in front without having to do any major mods other than popping in new springs and shocks. Thanks!

How did this turn out for you? I am thinking of doing the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963