Need help! Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got a remote start kit for Christmas it's a crime stopper rs4 G5 came with no install instructions and idk where the wires go can anyone help me and show me where all the wires connect to so I could get this thing to work I'd appreciate it a lot thanks

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I found the wire diagram I just don't know which wires go where cuz the instructions to the crime stopper are confusing

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly there is a lot to installing those types of remote starts. It's not just a connect a few wires type of deal. You need to know how to use relays, resistors, and diodes to do this type of install.

Basically, if you find the directions confusing, you'd be better off letting a shop do it. I don't get into trying to walk people through a remote start install because they are very vehicle specific and require a lot of 12v electronics knowledge.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would have to agree with Justin. if you don't know what your doing you are best to have a professional do it. they can be pretty complicated to install especially if you are not familiar with wiring or security systems. i know a lot of newer vehicles come from the factory with security systems and immobilizers as my mom found out 1 cold winter day. if you mess things up it could cause way more issues and cost you more than paying a professional to do it right the first time.

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I know what you mean I called around today and people want to much money to install it 400 500 bucks that's a little crazy to install it

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
But the $400-500 also likely includes the bypass modules and everything needed to install a remote start in your specific vehicle. The more expensive the vehicle the more expensive the stuff is to install a remote start. There is more to getting a remote start than what is in the box at the store

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But the $400-500 also likely includes the bypass modules and everything needed to install a remote start in your specific vehicle. The more expensive the vehicle the more expensive the stuff is to install a remote start. There is more to getting a remote start than what is in the box at the store

This is correct. If you have a chip in the key you will need an immobilizer bypass which is also a tricky install. 400 dollars to install the full system is normal. That's about what we charged to install them when I did installs. In a shop with all the right tools and equipment, and with trained professionals doing it, it will still take around 3-4 hours or more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I don't have th chip so I don't need the bypass module my brother has the same truck but different remote start I was gunna try and follow off his wires but his remote start has different color wires then the one I got has so I couldn't do that only thing his truck has is two relays for th door locks to work I was trying to see if anyone installed one before or could help me and show me what wires go where

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just finished an install (with immobilizer bypass) on my 02, and although I can't help you solve you're wiring dilemma, I will mention that unless you are absolutely positive you know how to wire and program a remote start system to your truck, I wouldn't recommend doing it. You only have one ignition harness and if you mess it up or tap into the wrong wires, you could be looking at higher costs simply to fix things. Not to mention the possibly risk of causing an electrical fire.

I'm not in any way doubting your ability to do this this though. I've just read enough horror stories from installs gone wrong and would hate to see try this and end up having issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I just found a wiring diagram for it so I'm gunna try it and see if it works if not then I'm just taking it somewhere to get it done

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Yea I don't have th chip so I don't need the bypass module my brother has the same truck but different remote start I was gunna try and follow off his wires but his remote start has different color wires then the one I got has so I couldn't do that only thing his truck has is two relays for th door locks to work I was trying to see if anyone installed one before or could help me and show me what wires go where
just because you don't have a chipped key doesn't mean your truck doesn't have an immobilizer and need a bypass. if you got a key fob and you press the locked button twice and it honks at you then you can set off the alarm by manually opening the door with a key then you likely have an immobilizer. if you were to set off the alarm like that it would keep you from being able to start your truck until you reset it with the key fob. i know my mom learned this the hard way.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just because you don't have a chipped key doesn't mean your truck doesn't have an immobilizer and need a bypass. if you got a key fob and you press the locked button twice and it honks at you then you can set off the alarm by manually opening the door with a key then you likely have an immobilizer. if you were to set off the alarm like that it would keep you from being able to start your truck until you reset it with the key fob. i know my mom learned this the hard way.

While yes this may be considered an immobilizer, an aftermarket immobilizer bypass for remote starts just mimics the chip in the key to let the vehicle start. That's really all they do. If you do not have a chip in the key then you don't need an immobilizer bypass.

With an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry, when installed correctly, it will automatically arm and disarm the factory security system when it needs to so that the scenario you brought up won't happen. This isn't something that you need an immobilizer bypass for. Just a correct install.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is good to know but i guess that also proves that you really need to know the vehicle and wiring pretty good to hook up a remote start. i guess i am lucky i only needed to hook up about 5 or 6 wires with my 93 to make the remote start function and turn the heat on.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that is good to know but i guess that also proves that you really need to know the vehicle and wiring pretty good to hook up a remote start. i guess i am lucky i only needed to hook up about 5 or 6 wires with my 93 to make the remote start function and turn the heat on.

Yeah back in the day it basically was just energize the ignition and acc circuits, energize the starter, use virtual tach to verify that it started, and a ground. Now there is a lot more circuitry that has to be energized and monitored, relays, diodes etc. parking lights, door locks, interfacing with the factory security system, safety features such as hood switches, it goes on and on.

The real fun ones are remote starts with full security, glass break and shock sensors, cell phone control modules, and immobilizer bypass on a modern, all computerized manual transmission car lol. Done a couple of them before and it took me and another certified installer a full 8 hrs each

Last edited:

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I think when installed mine there's at least 8 wires that need wired into the ignition harness alone, not to mention the brake, neutral safety, hood pin, alarm, locks, parking lights, horn, door sense and probably a few more. Not to mention the handful of resistors/ relay you'll need to get the locks/ lights/ alarm to function properly.

I happened to have a viper remote start system and bought a dball2 immobilizer bypass. I don't think I'd ever purchase a different one. About 4 wires to the vehicle (6 if you have a chip) and it takes care of the alarm, locks, sentry key immobilizer, tach, and door sense. That's a savings of 4 relays, 4 diodes, 4 resistors and the headache of finding all those wires! I think it actually sends most the info direct to the computer via the OBDII port.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I think when installed mine there's at least 8 wires that need wired into the ignition harness alone, not to mention the brake, neutral safety, hood pin, alarm, locks, parking lights, horn, door sense and probably a few more. Not to mention the handful of resistors/ relay you'll need to get the locks/ lights/ alarm to function properly.

I happened to have a viper remote start system and bought a dball2 immobilizer bypass. I don't think I'd ever purchase a different one. About 4 wires to the vehicle (6 if you have a chip) and it takes care of the alarm, locks, sentry key immobilizer, tach, and door sense. That's a savings of 4 relays, 4 diodes, 4 resistors and the headache of finding all those wires! I think it actually sends most the info direct to the computer via the OBDII port.

Those DBALL units were awesome. For the newer chryslers like you said, it took longer to get to the wiring harness than to do the actual install. It sends and receives all its information through the vehicle's can bus system. I installed one on a friend's Jeep Patriot in like 20 minutes. Last I heard they were removing that functionality from the DBALL because it wasn't profitable enough, but I've been out of the game for a few years so I don't know what ever came of it.

Last edited:

argroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those DBALL units were awesome. For the newer chryslers like you said, it took longer to get to the wiring harness than to do the actual install. I installed one on a friend's Jeep Patriot in like 20 minutes. Last I heard they were removing that functionality from the DBALL because it wasn't profitable enough, but I've been out of the game for a few years so I don't know what ever came of it.
Yeah, I don't know. I bought mine dishes because it was easier and cheaper than getting the flashing tool. It's biggest bonus was it's "D2D" connection to the remote start unit, otherwise it would have been another 10 wire connections to get it all hooked up. Even still, I would go with a dball2 over any other bypass for these trucks just because it minimizes unit-to-truck connections (less wiring, less to mess up!).