Issues with factory front end link removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easiest way to do it is put weight on the wheel when you loosen and torque down the links. The weight of the truck on the joint keeps it from spinning if you use an impact.

That's actually exactly what it says on the Hellwig instruction sheet.....not that I follow instructions or anything[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I'm looking at on both sides. See how close the Tie Rod is as well.

I wouldn't think the tie rod and sway bar would hit? They both move at the same time when the suspension goes up and down.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's actually exactly what it says on the Hellwig instruction sheet.....not that I follow instructions or anything[emoji15]

Hahaha really? I never even read my instructions. :roflsquared:

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha, me either. My 17 year old son was bugging me about bushing orientation.....so I had to shut him down by actually reading them[emoji57]

Last edited:

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the double post, but I can't figure out how to delete it

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Easiest way to do it is put weight on the wheel when you loosen and torque down the links. The weight of the truck on the joint keeps it from spinning if you use an impact.

Instructions didn't have enough pictures for me, decided to just jump in. Oh well, got a few new tools and some newfound knowledge about the end links!

OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wouldn't think the tie rod and sway bar would hit? They both move at the same time when the suspension goes up and down.

I was concerned more with the way the tie rod hitting the swaybar as I turn left to right. I haven't heard anything yet going around turns, so maybe I'm good.

By the way - QA1's are here!

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing this back from the dead.
Interested in getting an update of how you made out with these? Did the angle of the sway bar ever cause it to hit the tie rod?

How has the ride quality been?

Looking to upgrade my end links to the F150 ones but am looking to see if its worth it in the long term?
*I wont be installing hellwig front sway bar. keeping the stock OEM 4x4 one.

to confirm these are the end links I'm looking at;
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1417340&jsn=255

Last edited:

Ohninehemisport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bringing this back from the dead.
Interested in getting an update of how you made out with these? Did the angle of the sway bar ever cause it to hit the tie rod?

How has the ride quality been?

Looking to upgrade my end links to the F150 ones but am looking to see if its worth it in the long term?
*I wont be installing hellwig front sway bar. keeping the stock OEM 4x4 one.

to confirm these are the end links I'm looking at;
More Information for MEVOTECH MK80337

When I first did the switch I instantly noticed a change. At first when the suspension travels it felt like it was binding. I feels more smooth with the shorter links. You will not a have a problem if using stock sway bar. I think the hellwig swaybar is a bit shorter causing more of an angle on the end links. Those links on the picture look a tad too long. Make sure they are for a 2006 f-150 2wd. Like these.More Information for ACDELCO 45G20700

OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry for the delay - I've not been on the forums much due to travel.

I've not noticed the sway bar making contact with anything. I'll say I've heard a couple clunks from the front, but I don't believe that it had anything to do with the sway bar making impact with anything, but moreso the bushings being too soft. I've not addressed the issue because it has happened 2 times in 1000 miles.

I do have an issue at full right lock where I hear and feel a gurgling noise. I checked full lock position while parked and couldn't see any issues involving the sway bar - will have to diagnose that issue later when I get time.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to hear you've had no issues. I'm a few weeks away from installing everything.
I don't have any clunks in the front currently and hope these links don't create something.

Seems 1 mod always leeds to another.

jonwrong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing this back from the dead. I worked on lowering my trunk this weekend. I struggled to get the stock end link off, but ended up using an open end wrench up in the recess on the nut and a small impact and 8mm socket on the end. I am going to buy a pass-through socket set.

Here is my question? How did you guys installed the F-150 links. They use an 18mm flat on the top side of the A-arm. None of my wrench can fit between the A-arm and the link ball joint body. It's like I need a splat piece of stock to hold it while I tight the nut from the bottom with a socket.

On a side note, my Inez relocation brackets did not come with instructions, and I cannot find them online anywhere. I messaged them, but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. I also found (an an experienced gear head) the Belltech instructions lacking. I assume you would want the suspension loaded to torque most of them suspension bushings (shock top), sway bar end link, etc. Finally, I think I will source some poly stock-style end link bushings for use with the mood link.

2019-10-20.jpg

2019-10-20 (1).jpg

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bringing this back from the dead. I worked on lowering my trunk this weekend. I struggled to get the stock end link off, but ended up using an open end wrench up in the recess on the nut and a small impact and 8mm socket on the end. I am going to buy a pass-through socket set.

Here is my question? How did you guys installed the F-150 links. They use an 18mm flat on the top side of the A-arm. None of my wrench can fit between the A-arm and the link ball joint body. It's like I need a splat piece of stock to hold it while I tight the nut from the bottom with a socket.

On a side note, my Inez relocation brackets did not come with instructions, and I cannot find them online anywhere. I messaged them, but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. I also found (an an experienced gear head) the Belltech instructions lacking. I assume you would want the suspension loaded to torque most of them suspension bushings (shock top), sway bar end link, etc. Finally, I think I will source some poly stock-style end link bushings for use with the mood link.

I had to cut down an allen wrench to put in the bottom and just used a wrench to tighten it up. It sucked

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not following...
Dude I'm a idiot.

I completely forgot I had the IHC control arms. But getting them on the stock arms I just held that bottom nut with an open wrench and had to tighten it with the allen wrench with another wrench attached to that.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dude I'm a idiot.

I completely forgot I had the IHC control arms. But getting them on the stock arms I just held that bottom nut with an open wrench and had to tighten it with the allen wrench with another wrench attached to that.
do you have both upper and lower ihc control arms? or just the adjustable uppers?

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have their 5/7 kit so yes full set of control arms
gotcha. i'm wanting to only lower mine to 3" up front so was thinking about getting the adjustable uppers for alignment issues. I'm wondering if my stock control will work bringing my front down to 3"

jonwrong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up using one 7/16 Grade 8 washer to fill up that slight recess in the stock A-arm. And, then I bought this flat wrench (18 mm) to hold that little flat just to the top of the A-arm.

Capture.PNG