MagnaFlow Muffler Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to get a little more sound out of my 2016 6.4 engine. I don't want to spend $800+ and I do not want it too loud.
I came across a MagnaFlow #12909 that is 3.5" inlet and outlet, with one end centered and the other offset. It is 22" long and supposedly pretty quiet.
I've only been able to find reviews with guys putting it on a Silverado...no Ram reviews.
Has anyone tried this muffler?? Success?? :roflsquared:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that muffler on my 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2. W/ factory exhaust just muffler swap sounded good but a lil quiet, w/ Kooks lt's & catless y it sounded GREAT. I havent heard it on a Ram but I was very happy w/ it on my 6.2 GMC

Jake2544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the full system 19200 on my 16. Went back and fourth with the seller on price but settled at $715 shipped. It's a quality system which includes a nice polished resonator. He is still listing them on eBay but almost gone.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the Magnaflow ordered today at Amazon...$137+ tax and free shipping. Thnaks for the input, guys....can't wait to hear the sound. :favorites13:

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just bought a new to me 14 Ram 2500 6.4 19k miles with a MF s/in dual out on it. Drones terribly. I too am looking at the 12909 and a Factory resonator to keep the drone away. Best sounding quieter muffler I've heard yet. Still cant tell from videos how the drone is in the cabin around 1500-1800RPM.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is a little bit of drone at 1500 - 1800 but it's not obnoxious or intrusive. I only get it when cruising in full auto at around 65 mph.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I tow a camper often. I wonder if I put on a stock resonator if it would help.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
do you think the 12909 is the same muffler that comes wth the magnaflow cat back? i just installed the single in single out cat back #19200 on my truck the other day and it sounds awesome.

i think the magnaflow single in dual out does not have the resonator that the 19200 kit has

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
do you think the 12909 is the same muffler that comes wth the magnaflow cat back? i just installed the single in single out cat back #19200 on my truck the other day and it sounds awesome.

i think the magnaflow single in dual out does not have the resonator that the 19200 kit has

It sorta looks like it as it is an offset/center configuration. Not sure how big the muffler can is but they do advertise it as a 4 inch system.

Squirrel6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just about any muffler you put on in place of the stock one will help but you will get more drone in the cab. I just replaced the stocker for a 3.5" straight pipe and left the res on.Almost no drone at all in the cab. But you definitely hear it when you get on it. Ideal and cruising speeds are fine and even pulling a cargo trailer it's not bad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE......
Well, the magnaflow muffler arrived. I was going to install it myself, but there were issues. The magnaflow is a center outlet on one end and an offset on the other. The factory muffler is an offset on one end and an opposite offset on the other end. Also, it was a few inches shorter and I could not find and 3 1/2 inch pipe.

So, I went to the local muffler shop. I knew I was in trouble when the guy said "come into the shop and see the issues". Due to the non-comparable offsets, he first suggested taking a piece of pipe and cutting it and welding it back together to creat an angle, since he can't bend 3 1/2 inch pipe. The next suggestion was to cut the original pipe at the converter and after the muffler.....that would allow the magnaflow to be installed with a piece of straight pipe from the converter to the tailpipe....worked well.
Then he said "do you want steel aluminized pipe or stainless steel pipe." I went with the stainless pipe.
Then I got the bill.....$226.44 plus the $137 for the muffler and a two hour wait. A little more than I planned on by about $100 overall, but it looks great and it was a quality job.
The sound is another issue. It sounds really nice when I step into it, but normal driving is quiet as a church mouse. No drone at any speed except when it goes into four cylinder mode.....I left the factory resonator on the truck since I tow a fifth wheel.
My experience with magnaflow mufflers I'd that they open up a little after a few thousand miles.....can't wait!
Overall good and I'm relatively satisfied. Next post will identify any mpg increase,,,,not expecting any increase. It does shift gears at a lower rpm, and doesn't downshift on hills where it used to..,,all good

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good stuff! Glad the install went to suit you!

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put that same muffler on last 2 rams. Loved it. I never noticed any droning at all, but thats just my opinion. Just the right amount of sound. It seemed to get a little deeper over 5k miles and i think my gas mileage improved about .5 mpg

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have only had it on for about 350 miles, but I seemed to have picked up about .5 mpg also and maybe 1.0 mpg at 75 mph....getting a tad louder, too, but not too much..

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 85

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
did you look into the Mufflex/Magnaflow DOD250035??? (Google it, if you haven't) Direct fit/no welding, reversible, & about the same (or less) cash...

Terry3blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Second the mufflex, love mine great fit. 30 minutes tops on install laying on ground.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Second the mufflex, love mine great fit. 30 minutes tops on install laying on ground.

Third vote for the Mufflex. Super easy install and the sound is terrific. My 16 year old son and I had it installed in about an hour. I did have a leak however on the left hand pipe (exiting the muffler). I had to break torque and retighten, but all is good now......love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
did you look into the Mufflex/Magnaflow DOD250035??? (Google it, if you haven't) Direct fit/no welding, reversible, & about the same (or less) cash...

Third vote for the Mufflex. Super easy install and the sound is terrific. My 16 year old son and I had it installed in about an hour. I did have a leak however on the left hand pipe (exiting the muffler). I had to break torque and retighten, but all is good now......love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am right now on the fence with ordering the Mufflex, aside from a nicer tone, any other positives or negatives?

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Im seeing the MF 12909 everywhere for around $153. Walmart online has them for $134. Is there any difference in the muffler from Walmart??