4.56 Regearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
I did search and found nothing sorry if I missed the thread.

So I'm looking to put 4.56 gears in my 4WD 99 ram 1500 with the 5.9l on 35" grabbers in the near future.

Did a little research and I'm leaning toward having a shop do it because I don't feel like buying 200$+ worth of specialized tools. But I want to buy all the parts spaced out so I can afford it. So I'm leaning toward Motive but what do you guys recommend. I know I need a ring and pinion set and an assortment of shims but can someone give me a list of all the parts I need for the front and rear re gearing. Rear is the crystler 9.25 front is Dana 44. Both bone stock. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not telling you to do it yourself, if you don't want to. But some of the tools can be substituted, and the ones that can't have other uses. You can even make your own if you have a small welder and some basic drills and saws.

The hardest part, is doing the work on the ground.

If you feel you can do it, i'd take the extra couple weeks and spend the same amount of money you'd likely be paying in labor, and just do it yourself. Most places charge between $60-80 and hour, you're looking at a minimum 2 hours unless the guy is booking it.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Its going to be a lot more than 2 hours.

You need gearsets and install kits. There's minor and master install kits depending if you need bearings, seals, etc. Make sure the front kit is made for our CAD system with the intermediate shaft bearings. For the front dana 44 you will need either thick cut gears or an offset carrier made for 3.92+ gears.

:Try to look for regear packages, you can usually get a good deal on gearsets and install kits. IIRC justdifferentials and eastcoastgearsupply are two that have some for our trucks.

Last edited: