Lowered Suspension: An Engineering Perspective.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Awesome. I had cut a coil off of the stock springs you sent me and a few coils off the rear. It was strange. It rode decently but definitely was stiff. It certainly did not have that bouncy feeling at all.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

That's more or less where I'm at now. One full coil off the front and three off the rear. The rear still sits too high, so I ordered a set of Belltech 4" rear coils. I'll try those and see how they are.

I'm also going to compare the Crown 1/2 springs to these.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's more or less where I'm at now. One full coil off the front and three off the rear. The rear still sits too high, so I ordered a set of Belltech 4" rear coils. I'll try those and see how they are.

I'm also going to compare the Crown 1/2 springs to these.
Sweet. I may cut half a coil on the front and the three on the back. I need 20's!

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that's what I had before I cut them, so yours should sit pretty close to mine.
Cool. I don't want mine that low in the front though. So I may just cut half a coil in front. It still seems like you have an inch to inch and a half of rake in the pics. You're running the B/T drop bracket or just the adjustable track bar?

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cool. I don't want mine that low in the front though. So I may just cut half a coil in front. It still seems like you have an inch to inch and a half of rake in the pics. You're running the B/T drop bracket or just the adjustable track bar?

Yea, start with half a coil and see what you think. You can always cut off more or add a shim.

And yea, it's still a good inch or two of rake.

No bracket, and I haven't adjusted the bar yet. It actually just sits about right on its own.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here's how mine sat stock:
037073566b7e83dfeadd067606ef61f9_zpsoaolxd1t.jpg

Here's how it sits now:
20170106_125417_zps5vgyywo7.jpg

20170106_125423_zps5mbt2khx.jpg

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's how mine sat stock:
037073566b7e83dfeadd067606ef61f9_zpsoaolxd1t.jpg

Here's how it sits now:
20170106_125417_zps5vgyywo7.jpg

20170106_125423_zps5mbt2khx.jpg

If you still have issues with the truck not sitting close to level on the left and right side. Loosen all the bolts on the rear upper and lower arms and the pan hard bar. Drive the vehicle slowly in your neighborhood and than on level ground retighten (torque to factory spec) the upper arms, lower arms and pan hard bar with the wheels on the ground. Recheck your measurements and hopefully this helps.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you still have issues with the truck not sitting close to level on the left and right side. Loosen all the bolts on the rear upper and lower arms and the pan hard bar. Drive the vehicle slowly in your neighborhood and than on level ground retighten (torque to factory spec) the upper arms, lower arms and pan hard bar with the wheels on the ground. Recheck your measurements and hopefully this helps.

Yea I made sure not to tighten down the control arms until the suspension was settled. That's not the issue, it's just that the drivers side is a lot heavier on these trucks thanks to the fuel tank.

For those that don't understand why this needs to be done, it's because factory rubber bushings are preloaded to a set ride height. Rubber bushings twist as the control arms move up and down, and as such they act like a spring. That's why you can't just turn a rubber bushing control arm as it sits. With poly, delrin, or metal, the joint slides rather than twists.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Take a tape measure to the engine,it's offset to the passengers side of the truck 2". You can tell just by looking at the floorboards in your truck . The pass side footwell is narrower then the drivers side footwell.
When I weighed my little rcsb 4X4 Sport these are the weights off the 4 corners full of gas . Just food for your conversation that's all.

Drivers side front 635 kg's
Pass side front 670 kg's

Drivers side rear 520 kg's
Pass side rear 450 kg's

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Take a tape measure to the engine,it's offset to the passengers side of the truck 2". You can tell just by looking at the floorboards in your truck . The pass side footwell is narrower then the drivers side footwell.
When I weighed my little rcsb 4X4 Sport these are the weights off the 4 corners full of gas . Just food for your conversation that's all.

Drivers side front 635 kg's
Pass side front 670 kg's

Drivers side rear 520 kg's
Pass side rear 450 kg's

The footwell is smaller on the passenger side because the transfer case sits there on 4x4 trucks...

That same transfer case would also explain why the front passenger side of your truck is heavier.

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I love my rake as the rear is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher so from several feet back it looks quite close height wise. Good luck in your endeavours.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The footwell is smaller on the passenger side because the transfer case sits there on 4x4 trucks...

That same transfer case would also explain why the front passenger side of your truck is heavier.

You might want to take a tape measure to the engine ,your 2 wheel drive is also offset to the pass side. The transfer case and front diff are on the drivers side in the 4th Gens. The offset engine is why the pass side is heavier when theres nobody in the drivers seat. Put a person in the drivers seat and they become a little more equal in weight distribution on the front especially with a 2 wheel drive truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might want to take a tape measure to the engine,your 2 wheel drive is also offset to the pass side. The transfer case and front diff are on the drivers side in the 4th Gens. The offset engine is why the pass side is heavier when theres nobody in the drivers seat. Put a person in the drivers seat and they become a little more equal in weight distribution on the front especially with a 2 wheel drive truck.

First off, you can stop using my name, thanks. If I wanted it posted everywhere I'd have put it in my username.

Secondly, you appear to be correct about the transfer case location. I must have gotten confused with a different truck or the Jeep 8-speed. Not above admitting I'm wrong there.

That still leaves the point that almost all these 4x2 trucks sit higher on the passenger side without a driver in them. You can swap springs and they still sit higher. The spring perches are the same height, so the passenger side has to be lighter. It's possible they only move the engine on the 4x4s, but the 4x4s also have a completely different front suspension.

Personally, I don't care where the engine sits. I'm more concerned with ride height, suspension travel, spring rate, and corner balancing, and I'll be getting to all of that at some point. So thanks for your input, but I've got this handled.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First off, you can stop using my name, thanks. If I wanted it posted everywhere I'd have put it in my username.

Secondly, you appear to be correct about the transfer case location. I must have gotten confused with a different truck or the Jeep 8-speed. Not above admitting I'm wrong there.

That still leaves the point that almost all these 4x2 trucks sit higher on the passenger side without a driver in them. You can swap springs and they still sit higher. The spring perches are the same height, so the passenger side has to be lighter. It's possible they only move the engine on the 4x4s, but the 4x4s also have a completely different front suspension.

Personally, I don't care where the engine sits. I'm more concerned with ride height, suspension travel, spring rate, and corner balancing, and I'll be getting to all of that at some point. So thanks for your input, but I've got this handled.

That's funny lad,you use your real name on Facebook,lol. How are you going to corner balance to make the weights equal on all 4 corners,you shifting the motor over to the drivers side somehow? **** bud I figured I was doing you a favour by clueing you into the fact the engine was offset,as you hadn't picked it up on your own. So you're telling me that the front pass side is lighter,well i'd have to say you're wrong again,the scales also say you're wrong,i've weighed both my old 2wd truck and this truck,both are heavier on the front pass side,instead of trying to contradict my post about the corner weights maybe go find yourself a weigh scale and weigh your truck.Your statement about them being lighter on the pass side has no basis to it,also again measure the engine offset in your own truck,then take that same tape measure to your local dealer and measure the fender heights on several trucks on the local lot. You're arguing over something you haven't bothered to take the time to check. All you have to do on any public scale is drive only one tire onto the scale at a time,to get your corner weights.And get out of the drivers seat to get an accurate measurement of each corner. You won't find many guys with scales that will weigh the trucks, as the trucks usually weigh more then most corner scales are rated to,so you're only option is to weigh each corner individually at a weigh scale,unless you want to spend a bunch of money buying heavy duty corner scales. All I was doing was pointing out things to help you out with your thread,but apparently you took it the wrong way,not sure why though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cool story bro. I'm done talking to you. Goodbye.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
:popcorn: