Alternator over charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hi - my battery gauge is showing the alternator over charging a bit. There is no fluctuation while driving, accelerating or deceleration - the gauge needle goes past the midpoint upon start up.

What's the best way to throttle back the the charge so it hits where it's supposed to on the gauge?

Image1483709612.083363.jpg

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

Last edited:

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a meter and get a reading off battery, when running. Those idiot gauges are not accurate.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Blue_Smoke13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
That's about where mine sits as well.

If you're worried about it, I'd take it to AZ or Advance and have them test it (it's free).

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine sits there as well. Wish my gas gauge wouldn't move from there

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
It's not overcharging, that's where mine sits. I've measured voltage on it before, when I get back to where my meter is ill post up picks showing the difference. The computer will not overcharge the battery, but when you give it gas it's going spin faster thus producing more power, but the computer regulates current situation. I'm running a 160A alternator and the gauge is the same with it or stock.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not overcharging, that's where mine sits. I've measured voltage on it before, when I get back to where my meter is ill post up picks showing the difference. The computer will not overcharge the battery, but when you give it gas it's going spin faster thus producing more power, but the computer regulates current situation. I'm running a 160A alternator and the gauge is the same with it or stock.

Did you get the 160 from a durango?

Colinc429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a 07 5.7 I recently started having issues myself first time was due to aftermarket radio install I didn't wire all the way right battery went dead. Jumped it and had no throttle response, shut off and restarted then throttle came back drove to oreillys and checked check engine light that came on during this and it was loss of communication to computer from low voltage. Charged battery after returning home and was ok for a while. Now having more issues with keeping charged after driving it, checked voltage from alt and battery separately with multimeter running between 16.5v to 19.9v at idle with or without lights ac radio w 1500 watt amp. My question is there a easy to replace voltage regulator or does anyone have a different answer besides removing and replacing alternator with a high output version?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a 07 5.7 I recently started having issues myself first time was due to aftermarket radio install I didn't wire all the way right battery went dead. Jumped it and had no throttle response, shut off and restarted then throttle came back drove to oreillys and checked check engine light that came on during this and it was loss of communication to computer from low voltage. Charged battery after returning home and was ok for a while. Now having more issues with keeping charged after driving it, checked voltage from alt and battery separately with multimeter running between 16.5v to 19.9v at idle with or without lights ac radio w 1500 watt amp. My question is there a easy to replace voltage regulator or does anyone have a different answer besides removing and replacing alternator with a high output version?
Old thread man, you would do better to start your own on this topic. Regardless, as SilverStreak88 stated, voltage regulation is controlled by the PCM (computer), there is no way to change it other than replacing the PCM.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bad connections can cause the computer to think the voltage is low and try to make it higher