Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocketman1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm at the dealership this morning and the tell me there is a flash for the ITBM in my 2015 Ram 1500. I'm trying to attach the print out they gave me with the specifics. Hopefully this may help someone else having some of these issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 174

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interesting, the symptom/concern description. I can't wait to get my tug out of storage, get the update and through a scope on the brake line wire. Crossing my fingers this fixes what they broke so I can get the P2 out of the way, keeps hitting my leg/knee on entry/exit.

rocketman1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did as well as it states the issue is with those that hooo up there trailer before the vehicle is started. I truly hope this fixes the issue and let us know what you find out Boss when you get up and running in the spring. My trailer is in for service in Lansing and will hopefully be getting it back here in the near future. I will post any seat of the pants changes I notice when I get it back. Before the update, I could not lock up the trailer tires with the slider bar. I wonder if that will change.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
4c1efb32f9a6dbe1f879b781ebd3569a.jpg

Can't hook up til the end of Feb. but will certainly update if the assometer notices anything.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Interesting, i wonder if my 2017 ram 2500 , 12/16 production date, already has the current software update?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interesting, i wonder if my 2017 ram 2500 , 12/16 production date, already has the current software update?

Since the TSB (posted above) was released mid-October of last year and the TSB states MY15 and MY16, I think it is safe to assume your MY17 build is current.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did as well as it states the issue is with those that hooo up there trailer before the vehicle is started. I truly hope this fixes the issue and let us know what you find out Boss when you get up and running in the spring. My trailer is in for service in Lansing and will hopefully be getting it back here in the near future. I will post any seat of the pants changes I notice when I get it back. Before the update, I could not lock up the trailer tires with the slider bar. I wonder if that will change.

Every time I hooked up the engine was running so the rear air leveling system could do its thing. I never heard what the issue was with hooking the electrical with engine off until now, didn't even know it made a difference. But then again, never heard anyone say the braking improved after a few brake applies either.

I wonder if it is just some CYA verbiage to escape possible liability.:word:

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We tow an 8,000 pound 5th wheel with our 2016 ram 2500. I had to put the system on "heavy electric" with the gain up to about 8-9 but it seems top work fine. However, this doesn't correspond to the owners manual information. It should work well on light electric. Guess I need an update.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We tow an 8,000 pound 5th wheel with our 2016 ram 2500. I had to put the system on "heavy electric" with the gain up to about 8-9 but it seems top work fine. However, this doesn't correspond to the owners manual information. It should work well on light electric. Guess I need an update.
At 8000 pounds your 5th wheel probably doesn't have the size brakes that require more voltage like others in here.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Grantopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have this issue while towing my Crossroads Elevation 3612 with 2015 Ram 2500 6.7l. Very little braking from the trailer at all. While troubleshooting trailer brakes I noticed only 1.5A at each wheel (Heavy electric and gain set to 10). I then checked the output voltage from the truck was low ~7V DC....all this led me here. I hooked my Chevy with Prodigy P2 controller and get 3A at each wheel of trailer and 12V+ at the truck.

I will be going to dealer Fri morning to get SW update and will post back.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I will be interested in what comes of this. You may not see an improvement while sitting but maybe while driving. Please post back as this will help a bunch of people and give peace of mind to those who have the factory controller and use an aftermarket one due to not trusting the oem. Like me.

Grantopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have this issue while towing my Crossroads Elevation 3612 with 2015 Ram 2500 6.7l. Very little braking from the trailer at all. While troubleshooting trailer brakes I noticed only 1.5A at each wheel (Heavy electric and gain set to 10). I then checked the output voltage from the truck was low ~7V DC....all this led me here. I hooked my Chevy with Prodigy P2 controller and get 3A at each wheel of trailer and 12V+ at the truck.

I will be going to dealer Fri morning to get SW update and will post back.

Update.....

No Joy unfortunately. Seat of the pants test feels the same to me after the SW change. Still only getting 1.5A per wheel and around 7V DC from the truck. Was still unable to adjust the gain as you normally would and no difference at 25mph or 40+mph panic stops the trailer pushes my truck quite badly.

Tekonsha here I come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Show of hands from those who are surprised by this. Anybody? Anybody? Is this thing on? (Thump,thump) No one? Well, moving along then. Next order of businesses seems to be, hmmm. Ah, yes. "Class Action Lawsuits and You. How best to lube for eventual Bum-Buggery".

Cpylot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
I did as well as it states the issue is with those that hooo up there trailer before the vehicle is started.

I really don't mean to be obtuse, but how in Hades does FCA think that the time of hook up (before or after starting engine) or how many times the brakes are applied, is going to make a difference in how the brakes work?

When we stop to fuel when towing, are we all supposed to go back, unhook the trailer wiring, start the truck, go back again and plug trailer back in? It amazes me that the morons at FCA truly seem to believe that each and every one of us that drives a RAM is mentally impaired enough to believe their horse manure.

Plain and simple THE ITBM SHOULD PUT OUT THE DESIRED VOLTAGE AS NEEDED!!!

This sounds to me like more smoke n mirrors for when the wrongful death cases start hitting them.

As an aside, for those who have been following this for the long run, remember when "Erica the FCA person came on and was going to "help us"?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Show of hands from those who are surprised by this. Anybody? Anybody? Is this thing on? (Thump,thump) No one? Well, moving along then. Next order of businesses seems to be, hmmm. Ah, yes. "Class Action Lawsuits and You. How best to lube for eventual Bum-Buggery".

It's been said many times, the only way this is going to be fixed is when someone gets killed because a Ram towing well within its towing limits couldn't stop because the trailer brakes didn't work right.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As an aside, for those who have been following this for the long run, remember when "Erica the FCA person came on and was going to "help us"?

She was sweet. ******' useless thus far but sweet. {Sigh}

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe Erica did her best but she hit the same walls we did at Chrysler. Remember when she came back to us and relayed that you can't measure the power on a PWM line. She was just telling us what she was told. When we challenged that claim, she went back to RAM engineering which started the conversation moving again.

I've kept all of the emails, voice mails, and my findings. Would love the opportunity to show all this to a jury.

Last edited:

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I half hope she got fed up with the ******** and found a more rewarding/lucrative line of employment. The other half hopes she walks into a room of engineers at the same time everyday and loudly proclaims "Those brake modules still ain't workin' right, assholes! Still ain't workin'!" Yessir, that's what the other half hopes. {Another sigh, sips drink, smiles}

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk