HD's to be made in the US again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hopefully, this doesn't just turn in to a political thread and get way off topic or shut down. And for the record I grew up in a very liberal household and am a registered independent. All that being said, the talk of jobs staying/coming back to the USA is a REALLY nice thing to hear for a change.

I'm not rich by any means but am comfortable. I'd gladly pay more for my shopping cart full of crap at Walmart or Target if it means keeping jobs here. I know there are many fears with the incoming administration but few could argue that running this country a bit more like a business is a bad thing.

:favorites13:

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Since most/all of the HD's come out of Mexico currently I would assume this is the case.

Fiat Chrysler announces $1 billion investment in U.S. manufacturing, 2,000 new jobs | Fox News

Ironically I had 2016 1500 made in Warren that I traded in on a 2017 2500 made in Mexico and the 2500 is made better.

I had to realign the drivers door on the 1500, it was off kilter. Took about 1/2 hour and was pretty easy, I was impressed with the way it was engineered once I figured it out, but it was off 1/4 inch from the factory and there's no excuse. The 2500 is 100%, and I've gone over it pretty extensively.

Anecdotal, but still happened.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ironically I had 2016 1500 made in Warren that I traded in on a 2017 2500 made in Mexico and the 2500 is made better.

I had to realign the drivers door on the 1500, it was off kilter. Took about 1/2 hour and was pretty easy, I was impressed with the way it was engineered once I figured it out, but it was off 1/4 inch from the factory and there's no excuse. The 2500 is 100%, and I've gone over it pretty extensively.

same here. 2014 1500 to a 2015 2500. less 'oopsies' on the Mexican truck

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've got one of each, 2013 1500 built in Warren and a 3500 from Mexico. I guess I'm lucky because I didn't have a build issue with either outside of a loose nut in my steering system on the 3500. Folks that live in the Detroit metroplex are aware of the strained relationship between Chrysler and the UAW. The UAW signed a contract that later, they decided they didn't like due to the work hours.

Since Trump is showing he can bring back our jobs, then the UAW has to step up, shake the attitude, and take responsibility for their work.

It isn't the labor costs that encourage companies to move out of our country, it is the business taxes, another issue Trump said he would address.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I did not buy a 2500/3500 Ram and wont because it is made in Mexico.
Call me stupid, but, that is how I feel about it.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
That would be awesome. My dad worked at the STL plant till it shut down to move to Mexico. Over the last few years I have seen most of the huge auto manufacturing plants torn down. Hopefully they start getting rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like, from recent news reports that FCA will be spending the money on new Jeep production..

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

I noticed this as well. While waiting in the showroom for my paper work on my 2500 to be done, I couldn't help but notice how bad the fit & finish was on all of the vehicles made in the US.
This concerns me a lot! Many people in this country have become lazy & have no work ethic. I am a Plant Manager & one would think that as bad as the economy has been that it would be easy to find employees to fill positions. Hell a quarter of them can't even pass the drug test & the Millennials, forget about it! The only ones to make it in my shop are over 30yrs. old.
If Trump brings back all these jobs he says he is, this younger generation is going to have to step up. Get back to how our parents & grand parents did it, with hard work & pride in what you do!

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've heard the same regarding quality control in US vs Mexico but also heard the plant in Michigan is very outdated in some areas. So hopefully the new plant will help bring QC up to par.

That said, I agree they still have to fix the work ethic and sense of pride in the plants. Don't think the UAW is helping the situation here either. My father was a plant line manager at Ford and had some creative ways of addressing QC problems on the line. But don't know if those techniques would be well received today:)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would still seek out a Mexican built RAM if possible.

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No issues (that I know of yet...) with my '16 2500 Megacab built in Mexico, but I do support bringing the jobs back to the US. Again, I'm all for bringing the work back, but since the Detroit factories might have up-fit issues, it could mean manufacturing jobs might be created elsewhere in the US, so that is a plus as well!

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's because soon to be president Trump threatened all car makers with a big tax if they continued to make cars out of the states. Good for him if you ask me.

I'm not a hard core union guy but I did not see the UAW sticker on my 3500. It was made in Mexico. My Ford F150 had a UAW sticker. My Ford was a great truck and I took pride in knowing that US workers put it together. :waytogo:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would rather have Juan build my truck then to have the money go to the UAW, who intern will use that money to get the left elected.

I am proud of stuff being built in the US, but not if the money is going to put people I don't agree with in power. Maybe if the UAW showed to be less bias and more partisan in their donations and lobbying then I would not mind. Until then, Hecho En Mexico.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
bring back real jobs to the united states. this is good.
obammy creates service jobs - bartenders, bus boys, and waitresses etc.
trump creates real jobs with real middle class pay
this is great news comrades! cheers

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's because soon to be president Trump threatened all car makers with a big tax if they continued to make cars out of the states. Good for him if you ask me.

If i remember correctly, these are plans that were announced in 2015, before Trump was elected. Good for him to give incentives for products to be made in the US, but I don't think he should really get the credit here.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While that may be true, FCA is just latest in a list of companies who have now changed course and announced plans to stay or build in the US since he became the president elect.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I noticed this as well. While waiting in the showroom for my paper work on my 2500 to be done, I couldn't help but notice how bad the fit & finish was on all of the vehicles made in the US.
This concerns me a lot! Many people in this country have become lazy & have no work ethic. I am a Plant Manager & one would think that as bad as the economy has been that it would be easy to find employees to fill positions. Hell a quarter of them can't even pass the drug test & the Millennials, forget about it! The only ones to make it in my shop are over 30yrs. old.
If Trump brings back all these jobs he says he is, this younger generation is going to have to step up. Get back to how our parents & grand parents did it, with hard work & pride in what you do!

Agreed. I'm on the other side of that equation... I'm 53 years old and looking for a job. I am really picky because anything I choose to get involved with I give 100% and then some. Worked for 6 weeks at the local Harley dealer in 2015 and went from zero to hero by selling more bikes than their 8 year veterans with no book and no pipeline. I made $10,000 in 6 weeks on $200 commissions with spiffs. Had to walk out the door when they hired a shady General manager who started walking my sold customers because he knew better. He lasted 3 months but I was already gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm a team player and want to do anything I can to be better as long as it's constructive, including the usual management bean counting wheel spinning, but I have a very low total ******** tolerance. Luckily I don't "need" a job, though. :naughty: