How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha. At least you're on the eastern side of the country and we're not THAT far apart. There's a potential we could cross paths as your state is near the top of my list of places to visit. Poor Rick is out there on the left coast away from everybody. He has his own tool now though so he's in business.
If you ever head to Tn. Just let me know , I'm about to install a premium cluster and like cptwing I'm gonna try and get compass & temp in the cluster & radio .
My truck was an RA1 Original as well , and as you know I've already struggled with the compass heading

Poor RicksRam! He's a smart guy with the tool he can figure it out ha ha !

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you ever head to Tn. Just let me know , I'm about to install a premium cluster and like cptwing I'm gonna try and get compass & temp in the cluster & radio .
My truck was an RA1 Original as well , and as you know I've already struggled with the compass heading

Poor RicksRam! He's a smart guy with the tool he can figure it out ha ha !

LOL I had to buy the tool I'm out here all by myself! Fortunately my truck came with the RA2 so the temp and compass heading in the EVIC was one I didn't have to try to figure out.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
If you toggle thru the cluster menu there is a reset to factory default option. I do have the outside temp in the cluster. The only things I do not have are the compass and temp on the radio, but that is because my truck came with the RA1. I know in my case its a BCM sales code issue, but there does not seem to exist the Fiat service world anyone with enough brain cells to know how to enable it.

I found the EVIC "return to default" mode but it didn't help. The top left or right numeric displays has 8 modes to scroll through but outside temperature or compass setting isn't one of them :-(

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Weird one?
Ok so you had outside temp and compass on both evic and radio before the swap? I know the RA1 and RA2 do not display outside temp. But all was working as it should prior to the swap?

Ok did you do anything with the side mirrors or overhead console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Weird one?
Ok so you had outside temp and compass on both evic and radio before the swap? I know the RA1 and RA2 do not display outside temp. But all was working as it should prior to the swap?

Ok did you do anything with the side mirrors or overhead console?

Before the swap Temp was on the EVIC and compass was on the 5.0 radio.

Now I have neither :-( Really the Temperature is the one I'd like to get back on either on the EVIC or the radio 8.4 now ;-) No messing with the mirrors or the overhead console. Also somewhere along the line my horn quit working :p

I'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere I don't know about. But I do love the leather seats :favorites13:

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just like the title says

Tools needed:

1 towel or similar

T20 torx bit

9/32 or 7mm socket

Ratchet

First cover the top of your steering column with a towl to prevent scratches. Trust me the cluster is a tight fit for install and removal and you will scratch it if you don't cover it.

Second remove the 4 T20 torx screws from the top of the cluster bezel and push down lightly on the top of the bezel pushing it down about 1" releasing it from the dash. Once the top is free of the dash pull straight out on the bottom part of the bezel it is held in by two clips.

Next remove the two 9/32" bolts in the bottom corners of the cluster. These are the only things holding the cluster in place. Once they are removed rotate the passenger side of the cluster to the left. You should be able to reach behind and unplug the cluster.

Once the cluster is unplugged rotate it back around and pull it out toward the steering wheel. Then rock the bottom towards the wheel and feed the top up behind the wheel and pull it out through the top. You may need to tilt the wheel up or down and move the cluster around to find the "sweet spot". my express cluster came out easier than my premium one went in due to a slightly different shape.

Installation is the reverse of removal remember to be gentle and try not to fingerprint the lens up. Plastic cling wrap can be applied to your new cluster prior to installation to prevent unwanted fingerprints

Enjoy your new fancier cluster :)

I did the swap. Found it easier to remove the top steering wheel cowl first. gives much needed room and avoid touching the cluster on anything. No towel needed.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just like the title says

Tools needed:

1 towel or similar

T20 torx bit

9/32 or 7mm socket

Ratchet

First cover the top of your steering column with a towl to prevent scratches. Trust me the cluster is a tight fit for install and removal and you will scratch it if you don't cover it.

Second remove the 4 T20 torx screws from the top of the cluster bezel and push down lightly on the top of the bezel pushing it down about 1" releasing it from the dash. Once the top is free of the dash pull straight out on the bottom part of the bezel it is held in by two clips.

Next remove the two 9/32" bolts in the bottom corners of the cluster. These are the only things holding the cluster in place. Once they are removed rotate the passenger side of the cluster to the left. You should be able to reach behind and unplug the cluster.

Once the cluster is unplugged rotate it back around and pull it out toward the steering wheel. Then rock the bottom towards the wheel and feed the top up behind the wheel and pull it out through the top. You may need to tilt the wheel up or down and move the cluster around to find the "sweet spot". my express cluster came out easier than my premium one went in due to a slightly different shape.

Installation is the reverse of removal remember to be gentle and try not to fingerprint the lens up. Plastic cling wrap can be applied to your new cluster prior to installation to prevent unwanted fingerprints

Enjoy your new fancier cluster :)

I did the swap. Found it easier to remove the top steering wheel cowl first. gives much needed room and avoid touching the cluster on anything. No towel needed.

allena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got my premium cluster swap done. Had Dominic at TVandNav2go.com do the correction to the hours and miles. $175 including 2 day shipping back to me. LOVE it way more than the original cluster! Def a mod worth doing!

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Dodgetk81 :favorites13: found a 2013 Diesel Cluster for me so my outside Temp & TPMS are functioning again on my Cluster :) Still no compass on my 8.4 NAV but haven't got all the pieces to get it converted to Factory status. Hoping after that I get the compass back :naughty: the factory 5.0 had it, so hoping to get it working on the 8.4 :)

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Dodgetk81 :favorites13: found a 2013 Diesel Cluster for me so my outside Temp & TPMS are functioning again on my Cluster :) Still no compass on my 8.4 NAV but haven't got all the pieces to get it converted to Factory status. Hoping after that I get the compass back :naughty: the factory 5.0 had it, so hoping to get it working on the 8.4 :)

You may be able to turn it on with the AE, I just turned mine on with it. Of course I had the RA1 originally. But its possible that somehow the BCM needs to be reminded its supposed to be there.

Last edited:

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone looked into putting a 13 cluster in a 15 and getting the tpms to work? I wonder if I put 13 tpms in the truck If the cluster would pick them up?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone looked into putting a 13 cluster in a 15 and getting the tpms to work? I wonder if I put 13 tpms in the truck If the cluster would pick them up?

I have a 13 cluster in my late build 2014 no issues...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 13 cluster in my late build 2014 no issues...

Really? I'll have to pick some sensors up for my 15 then and give it a shot.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Really? I'll have to pick some sensors up for my 15 then and give it a shot.

I didn't change sensors. It just worked.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't change sensors. It just worked.

What is your build date? I've heard stories where the 13 cluster doesn't work with newer tpms that's why I was curious. I don't have them in my current wheels and hate the light. I just picked up a 13 premium cluster and was going to try to get them to work if they would.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What is your build date? I've heard stories where the 13 cluster doesn't work with newer tpms that's why I was curious. I don't have them in my current wheels and hate the light. I just picked up a 13 premium cluster and was going to try to get them to work if they would.

If I remember correctly 9/14.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Not 100% sure but I believe the TPMS sensors are the same in 13 +trucks maybe even in 09+ 4th gen .
I think the issue is with the RF Module and a difference in the can bus in 13 + trucks ?