Engine Bay Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,
I was hoping someone can give some tips on what can be done to clean up the engine bay. It seems there is some crud and dust and what not in there. I have a 2015 1500 and want to clean it out a bit. I have heard from some that you can just spray and run a hose in there but just need to cover the battery terminals and some other things... does anyone have any write-ups or tips besides going in there with a rag and going over inch by inch? Thanks in advance all!

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all,
I was hoping someone can give some tips on what can be done to clean up the engine bay. It seems there is some crud and dust and what not in there. I have a 2015 1500 and want to clean it out a bit. I have heard from some that you can just spray and run a hose in there but just need to cover the battery terminals and some other things... does anyone have any write-ups or tips besides going in there with a rag and going over inch by inch? Thanks in advance all!
You are going to need a long handle brush, pressure washer or garden hose with adjustable nozzle. Some all purpose cleaner and a Vynol,rubber and plastic dressing. Spray the apc and let dwell for a bit with engine warm or cold. Agitate the areas that are heavily soiled and rinse. When you are satisfied with the cleanliness, use the VRP to dress the plastic and rubber after completely dry. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I have always used a detailer spray and micro fiber cloth with good results... I usually detail mine after each wash. Once you get into that rhythm the subsequent cleanings are quick and easy because the detail leaves a film that repels dirt...
I use this for my engine bay, cheap and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-Sh...0819&sr=8-1&keywords=eagle+one+detailer+spray

Results below, Ram and Jeep. ;)

Attachments

• AEngineBay2.jpg
    AEngineBay2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 100
  • AEngineBay3.jpg
    AEngineBay3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 84
  • AEngineBay4.jpg
    AEngineBay4.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20160615_133628226_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160615_133628226_HDR.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20160615_134124980_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160615_134124980_HDR.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are going to need a long handle brush, pressure washer or garden hose with adjustable nozzle. Some all purpose cleaner and a Vynol,rubber and plastic dressing. Spray the apc and let dwell for a bit with engine warm or cold. Agitate the areas that are heavily soiled and rinse. When you are satisfied with the cleanliness, use the VRP to dress the plastic and rubber after completely dry. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info! Do certain areas need to be covered? any certain products you recommend?

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always used a detailer spray and micro fiber cloth with good results... I usually detail mine after each wash. Once you get into that rhythm the subsequent cleanings are quick and easy because the detail leaves a film that repels dirt...
I use this for my engine bay, cheap and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-Sh...0819&sr=8-1&keywords=eagle+one+detailer+spray

Results below, Ram and Jeep. ;)

WOW! That is beyond the results I had in my head. Great work! Do you recommend anything for the initial cleaning? I haven't done much in the bay for 30K miles but once the initial cleaning is done I will definitely be using the detailer and microfiber as you suggested.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you want to get the engine bay cleaned right away or do you have time to research. If short on time, go to your favorite parts store and get some Purple power or citrus degreaser. Meguiars has a good rubber and plastic dressing you can buy at Walmart or parts stores. If you have time to research I suggest Autopia or Autogeek or Detailed Image. Each site is great. As for covering, cover what you do not want wet or sensitive electrical parts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you want to get the engine bay cleaned right away or do you have time to research. If short on time, go to your favorite parts store and get some Purple power or citrus degreaser. Meguiars has a good rubber and plastic dressing you can buy at Walmart or parts stores. If you have time to research I suggest Autopia or Autogeek or Detailed Image. Each site is great. As for covering, cover what you do not want wet or sensitive electrical parts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, the season hasn't been cooperating too well lately so I do have some time before I tackle this task so I will look into your recommendations. I just like to get what is needed ahead of time and the knowledge so that when the time comes I am more than prepped. Thank you again!

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I never let my engine bay get that bad. I take my truck to the car wash and I spray the engine compartment down every two weeks. If your motor is that bad go get your self some engine gunk and spray the motor down and go to a car wash and spray it down with a high-pressure hose. Motor will come out like new. If you didn't neglect it that bad. I have had cars that were over 10 years old and the motor compartment still look like new. Not too mention it you have a motor leak it is easy to find.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW! That is beyond the results I had in my head. Great work! Do you recommend anything for the initial cleaning? I haven't done much in the bay for 30K miles but once the initial cleaning is done I will definitely be using the detailer and microfiber as you suggested.

Thanks. I would take a bucket of water and car wash soap and give it a good wash... Thereafter the detailer will do the job.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup pretty much what everyone said. I used all purpose cleaner and cover anything major electrical like computers etc. Keep in mind, most modern engine bays are weather proof but never bad to be cautious. If you have an engine cover, remove it and clean outside the truck and you'll be able to clean the intake manifold. Also I clean from underneath as well cause when you're rinsing all the **** off the top it goes somewhere. I don't like using dressing but there are some new ones that don't leave a residue or film and won't allow dirt to stick.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I detail cars and trucks for a living now and from what i read its all sound advice above when i do it i bag and elastic band off the electronics then i use genrous amounts of degreaser leave it soak then pressure wash on a very low and wide setting. After that i unbag it all i start it up i then use a leaf blower to express dry it all and then use a top coat similar to mothers or armour all and spray ir all down and leave it when its done looks like new

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I detail cars and trucks for a living now and from what i read its all sound advice above when i do it i bag and elastic band off the electronics then i use genrous amounts of degreaser leave it soak then pressure wash on a very low and wide setting. After that i unbag it all i start it up i then use a leaf blower to express dry it all and then use a top coat similar to mothers or armour all and spray ir all down and leave it when its done looks like new

That's what I used to do with the armour all. Problem with that is it collects a lot of dust. What the motors do look good.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you guys think about the do it yourself car washes with the engine wash feature is it safe to use???