Transmission grind, dealer says normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having issues uploading a video through tapatalk so let me know if it works...

My truck has been to the dealer 3 times for this grinding issue, the Stoneridge transmission tech keeps telling me that it is the solenoid that is making this noise.... I showed him this video and he said that doesn't sound right, but I can't go off video because you can edit it... so my truck made the exact same sound today, and he said yup solenoid... Thanks to Kori, they took my truck anyways, gave me a rental, and I think she is waving the diagnostic fee if the don't find anything... but FFS, really a solenoid. I asked him will any 6 speed make this noise, and he was like idk....

I also said does this explain why it grinds in 4th under light acceleration, he said idk you'd have to replicate it, I was like I doubt I will be able to, he goes you sure it's not your duratacs or exhaust... I'm like dude it's grinds going into reverse and in 4th gear... not exhaust ...

The video shows me turning on the truck, while tranny is warmed up 120-145 roughly, this occures at anytime, but easily replicatable on a warm turn on. I got Park-Reverse multiple times, and does it everytime, sometimes its quieter, sometimes its ridiculous like that.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Noises can always sound different in a video. im going to assume the noise you're talking about is that slight grinding noise when changing gears. In my professional opinion it sounds a lot like the noise you get from the brakes when out into gear. The noise is caused by the load being applied to the brakes when put into gear. A lot of times the noise can be made as well by slightly letting of the brakes in gear.

If that's what it is, it's completely normal and all vehicles I've driven do it from time to time. Like I said though noises can be tricky in a video, and that's just what it sounds like to me.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noises can always sound different in a video. im going to assume the noise you're talking about is that slight grinding noise when changing gears. In my professional opinion it sounds a lot like the noise you get from the brakes when out into gear. The noise is caused by the load being applied to the brakes when put into gear. A lot of times the noise can be made as well by slightly letting of the brakes in gear.

If that's what it is, it's completely normal and all vehicles I've driven do it from time to time. Like I said though noises can be tricky in a video, and that's just what it sounds like to me.

Thats what i thought, but it also does it when i press the brake to release the lock on the shifter then put into reverse while brakes are not pressed. The tranny tech confirmed the sound coming from transmission, but said that is normal operation of the solenoid engaging reverse. I know older chryslers are known for noisy transmissions, and this is essentially the old 4 speed. i have owned all gens of rams, starting with 89 for a few months, then 97 for 1.5 years, than an 04 for 3 years, and now this 13. All trucks from 89-04 never made a noise going into reverse. I would accept the noise if it was something small like a tinny grind or what ever, but that too me seems excessive.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thats what i thought, but it also does it when i press the brake to release the lock on the shifter then put into reverse while brakes are not pressed. The tranny tech confirmed the sound coming from transmission, but said that is normal operation of the solenoid engaging reverse. I know older chryslers are known for noisy transmissions, and this is essentially the old 4 speed. i have owned all gens of rams, starting with 89 for a few months, then 97 for 1.5 years, than an 04 for 3 years, and now this 13. All trucks from 89-04 never made a noise going into reverse. I would accept the noise if it was something small like a tinny grind or what ever, but that too me seems excessive.

There is noise from the solenoid pack when being put into gear, it's a common noise and is normal. I can't really say wether it's excessive or not just by the video. It does sound fairly normal to me, but I'm not there in person. Has the noise always been the way it is now or has it changed?

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is noise from the solenoid pack when being put into gear, it's a common noise and is normal. I can't really say wether it's excessive or not just by the video. It does sound fairly normal to me, but I'm not there in person. Has the noise always been the way it is now or has it changed?
From what I have always noticed a solenoid sound is usually an electric type of sound. This seems like it's trying to engage reverse and the internal grinding.. but idk... just seems excessive for a 2013 to be doing this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer called and said that everything is normal... but they did update the shift pattern or something. I guess there is a flash for the 6 speed that makes the shifts better, changes the pattern, makes shifts smoother, and can hold more power. But I haven't tested that yet, it's still at the stealer...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dealer called and said that everything is normal... but they did update the shift pattern or something. I guess there is a flash for the 6 speed that makes the shifts better, changes the pattern, makes shifts smoother, and can hold more power. But I haven't tested that yet, it's still at the DEALER!!!!!!!!..

Ya there have been quite a few flash updates for transmission shift quality issues. Hopefully that makes it a little better for you. As for the noise I wouldn't be to concerned about it, it is a normal thing and is no cause for concern.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya there have been quite a few flash updates for transmission shift quality issues. Hopefully that makes it a little better for you. As for the noise I wouldn't be to concerned about it, it is a normal thing and is no cause for concern.
Sweet cause I felt like the transmission does have some shift issues, like under light accel first to 2nd gear,I would loose all my power, and some shifts felt weak.

Should I notice something.

You work at chrysler?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sweet cause I felt like the transmission does have some shift issues, like under light accel first to 2nd gear,I would loose all my power, and some shifts felt weak.

Should I notice something.

You work at chrysler?

You may notice a difference in the shifts, you may not. Depends on how familiar you are with how it shifted before.

Ya I've been a Chrysler tech for just about 10 years now.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may notice a difference in the shifts, you may not. Depends on how familiar you are with how it shifted before.

Ya I've been a Chrysler tech for just about 10 years now.
I'm hoping so...