Performance tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbelarde808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys! I'm a newbie here and was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to help me out? I got an 06 ram 1500 reg. cab 4.7l. Bought it about a week ago, It's got a thrush exhaust on it (came with the truck) and planning on changing it out. Other than that, everything else on the truck is stock. What I'm not liking is the power and terrible gas mileage it's getting. So I'm planning on getting a cold air intake, and I know that a programmer/tuner would be a big help! Especially if I'm going to run 33" or bigger tires in the future. But I'm not sure on which one to get. I've been looking at the superchips and the edge cts2. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

ohh7_5sevum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 07 5.7 and when I first got it I had got a cai 18in cherrybomb and superchip it woke the truck up made it more "peppy". But if you have the extra cash I'll invest in a Diablo trinity depending on how far you plan on getting into the performance..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a superchips tuner on my 08 4.7 recently. So far, these are my impressions:

Mileage XS tune - Power is the same as stock, maybe slightly better. City mileage is the same as stock, highway mileage improved 1.5 mpg.

87 Performance tune - Power is hugely improved. Shift points are changed. It truly feels like a completely different motor. Overall, it feels like I dropped a new motor in the truck. City mileage improved 1.5 mpg, highway mileage is the same as stock.

I have not tried the 91 or 93 tune (don't want to buy the premium gas). For me, the 87 performance tune is perfect. I'm keeping the tuner in the center console. If I'm going to take a long road trip, I'll just switch the tune over to Mileage XS.

Also, my truck is bone stock except for a K&N drop in filter.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Superchips 3865. Same results as lharrell79.

Someone has one for sale in the for sale thread for $150 right now if i remember correctly. As for MPG, do a full tune-up. That'll be your first and best step to getting any lost mpgs. Anything the tuner adds might go away once you put 33's on.

OP
OP
J

Jbelarde808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'll go with the superchips! I'm just trying to get a little more power and somewhat more mpg. out of my 4.7L not really doing too much mods to it. Thanks guys!

jhosler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I think I'll go with the superchips! I'm just trying to get a little more power and somewhat more mpg. out of my 4.7L not really doing too much mods to it. Thanks guys!

I just ordered the Superchips 3845, Thursday the 26th can't come fast enough. lol.