8 Speed 8PH70 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a lifetime warranty. Just a difference of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right. If you want to come back with another pissed off post. Have fun with that,but you took it all wrong.

Reactions: SyN

JustB_rad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a lifetime warranty. Just a difference of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right. If you want to come back with another pissed off post. Have fun with that,but you took it all wrong.

I get exactly what you are saying...That's the reason I purchased the Lifetime Maxcare warranty to begin with. As long as I follow the recommended maintenance schedule, I'm covered. That schedule doesn't suggest I change transmission fluid, so I have nothing to worry about.....Ever. If you don't have that warranty, I can see why you would want to take your preventative measures.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
O'Malley: Only you can answer these questions!
Most would be scared and just Say: Leave it alone.

My Question to U is: How many more years do U plan on being the owner of this same Ram?

If 1 or 2 more years? I would honestly say just save your money & drive it! They say it is full for life fluid, I will pretend to be brainwashed and ignore all service that probably should have been done already.

If you say: For many more years to come with many more miles accumulating very rapidly!
I would honestly say with a straight & serious face you might want to shake that $$$ Tree today!
We need to spend a very large amount of it on a Pan/Filter & Expensive Fluid!

Most 8HP70 owners would honestly ignore my thoughts/opinions! Which is perfectly fine! I will still be driving this very same Ram in 5-10 years. Also you half to understand where this is all coming from.
I am not one of those gullible/naïve owners who believe just by installing a CAI: I can gain 10 to 20 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

Here are my next 2 projects scheduled for my 8HP70 @ the 50K mile mark.
I will have the drivers side exhaust moved from below the pan & rerouted.
Then install the New Pan & Filter & Refill with RL D6 & replace my spin-on transmission filter again. (My first filter change will be at 25K miles!)

New Pan:
Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan - Ram 1500 (ZF 8HP70) [228053000] - $329.99 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance

i get what you are doing. here is my 2 cents. there is no right or wrong. i like that aluminum pan btw. pm will never hurt as long as it is done correctly. that being said, far as i know, there isnt any pm to be done to internal sensors. that, imo, is where most issues will happen. my other thought is, how does FCA define "lifetime" when it come to the trans.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey SyN, I just wanted to say thanks for doing all this research, I sincerely appreciate it! I never bought into the "transmission fluid is good for life" statement either. I'm sitting right at 47k on my 2014.
I plan on attempting the service soon! In the 50k-60k range as my RAM truck has been a highway queen for most of those miles and has lived a pampered synthetic oil life!

With that said, any feedback on the quality/effectiveness of the replaceable filter PPE uses?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

No No No! I'm very far away from pissed off! That's for the younger generation. Just the opposite for myself.

I don't have the lifetime warranty nor would I want to have to fight my local dealer for any of that warranty work to be done. I will leave that drama for the females on Facebook!

I do once again apologize! As well as for misreading your post!

I will say also: Todd the ZF tech I chatted with for over 35 min enlightened me with information I already knew---->There is no Lifetime fluid.
This Transmission should be serviced around the 60k mile mark. (That is ZF recommendation!) Not Required but Recommended! You decide whether or not You know more about this transmission then those that built it! (Built it not Sold it).
This so called Holy Elixer Expensive A$$ Special ZF fluid is not even a Full synthetic base. It's all about Profit! $$$$ Show us they Money!!!!

I'm only doing what is in my best interest as well as the mechanical depenabilaty of my Rams drivetrain & sharing that info. But None of this is done without hours/hours of research behind it.

Last edited:

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This should answer a lot of questions! ;)

Straight from ZF the manufacturer of the transmission
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantslists/TE-ML_11.pdf

5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as 4HP20 automatic transmissions: ZF 5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
- frequent highway driving in top speed range
- offensive, sporty driving style
- frequent trailer operation, being above average

oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant specifications.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:
OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^We within these walls are just a microscopic few of the owners who realize the need to service this transmission.

I do see the plastic pans are getting cheaper in price! I myself like the 1 time buy aluminum pan as being MY best option! If it drops my trans temps 5-10 degrees its well worth it! Especially when I'm towing.

I'm not too concerned with the filter media due to I have the best of both worlds installed (Spin-On Synthetic media filter with a ceramic neodymium magnets inside). Now I have FULL Confidence my fluid is always extremely clean going back to the transmission from the coolers. But having a pan filter with some type of Synthetic media is & would be a Huge benefit.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^We within these walls are just a microscopic few of the owners who realize the need to service this transmission.

I do see the plastic pans are getting cheaper in price! I myself like the 1 time buy aluminum pan as being MY best option! If it drops my trans temps 5-10 degrees its well worth it! Especially when I'm towing.

I'm not too concerned with the filter media due to I have the best of both worlds installed (Spin-On Synthetic media filter with a ceramic neodymium magnets inside). My fluid is always extremely clean going back to the transmission from the coolers. But having a pan filter with some type of Synthetic media is & would be a Huge benefit.

i have been told, land rover a few other mfg using the same trans suggest a 70000 mile fluid change. only FCA says lifetime fill.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^I can see that! At least they have sense enough to be realistic & realize ATF does NOT last forever!

I can see 70k for a daily driver! (Land Rover)
For a Truck that works 50K-60K is very realistic & logical.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did more research. I'll most likely be buying this unit as others have done. Its similar to the OEM unit but has a replaceable filter. The filter is only $35 in the future.

$100 include pan, filter, and a new gasket!

Then I'll be sticking with the Mopar or ZF fluid for the refill. I'll take a video of the procedure and parts when they show up.

I'm going to skip the fancy $400 aluminum version since nobody sees it and this does the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-B-453-Au...automotive&vehicleId=9&vehicleType=automotive

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^ The plastic composite pans have dropped in price a lot since the last time I really looked. If that is the correct pan for the 8HP70 transmission.

The actual $325 price for the PPE aluminum pan is quite steep!
Maybe by the time my ram reaches 50,000 miles this price will have dropped in half. I really like the idea of lower transmission temps by 10 to 20° which these aluminum pans have shown to do.

I do agree though $109 for the plastic pan makes it almost hard to not go that direction.

Also I look forward to reading your refill procedure.

If the aluminum pan drops another $100 by the 50K mile mark I will go that direction along with the matching rear differential cover which will be replaced at the next service.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/gt...5urM2s8CFQWLaQodHMoK7Q&ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

Last edited:

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For sure! That ATP pan also has a replaceable filter in it too so no need to throw it away on the next change.

I called ATP to confirm and talked to their tech support. He said lots of people are using this pan on their RAM trucks. He advised that it is does hold 1/3 of a qt less oil than the factory unit but that it is a negligible amount in the grand scheme of things being that the unit holds 10-12qts of oil.

They are designing another unit that will be the exact amount of oil that will be released as well with replaceable filter. He said this will be out this year.

If you look at the amazon review on that link above you'll see a very happy ram owner that used that pan give his full review on it.

I'm going to go ahead and order this one though as I don't want to wait any longer on this current oil.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Syn with your research how many qts did you gather will be needed when dropping the pan to refill?

At $23-$30 a bottle I don't want to overbuy. Going to get the actual ZF branded oil online and need to figure this out.

I've heard between 8-10qts but want to get a closer figure.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
OMalley: My notes say pan drain & drop & refill 9qts.

I am not 100% positive! That is what I have in my notes! I would not have just wrote that down as a guess.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Syn with your research how many qts did you gather will be needed when dropping the pan to refill?

At $23-$30 a bottle I don't want to overbuy. Going to get the actual ZF branded oil online and need to figure this out.

I've heard between 8-10qts but want to get a closer figure.

8-10 qts is about as accurate an estimate as you'll get. Each service may take a little more or less depending how long it's left to drain.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine shifts great too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk