K&N Dusting my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is going back to the dealer to check out my grinding noise in my 6nspeed. So I took out my home made intake tube, and out the original airbox back in. I Shined my led flash light down my tube and noticed dust lined the tube.... I'll take pics later. So either my tube is a bad design, or the K&N is letting small particles through... I should have my next oil tested next oil change....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As long as K&N filters are properly oiled, not damaged, and installed properly; they will not let any form of dust in. There is most likely a leak in your custom tube.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only Diesels with dusted turbos I have ever seen at the dealer, had aftermarket K&N style filters.
Never had one yet with the OE filter.
So either they are not maintained, installed correctly, or they flow better because they filter less dirt. I suspect the latter. This is an interesting read.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the K&N needs to be recharged it can allow larger particles to come through to your engine ie: dust/dirt.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
This applies to all oiled filters. Too many people install these and do not clean/oil them properly which will allow dirt to get through. If properly maintained, they will filter the dirt as well as stock while still allowing better airflow.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only Diesels with dusted turbos I have ever seen at the dealer, had aftermarket K&N style filters.
Never had one yet with the OE filter.
So either they are not maintained, installed correctly, or they flow better because they filter less dirt. I suspect the latter. This is an interesting read.
K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Most of the time those filters are not maintained properly and also cause damage to the compressor wheel of the turbo from the oil and dust particles that come through.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the old KN vs paper filter debate. i stick with stock filters.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of the time those filters are not maintained properly and also cause damage to the compressor wheel of the turbo from the oil and dust particles that come through.
I have a gas engine, the filter maybe has 15k on it, and is factory lubed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Should be cleaning and reoiling it every engine oil change; that's what I do anyways and have never had dust in the tube.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be cleaning and reoiling it every engine oil change; that's what I do anyways and have never had dust in the tube.
The box said every 50k, so i was going todo it at 25

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Yes, that's what I mean by turbo being dusted. Dirty air is abrasive, the turbo spins very fast, the dirty air sand blasts the veins right off the turbo.
Not making any definite conclusions but have only seen this on aftermarket filters. Never an OE filter

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that's what I mean by turbo being dusted. Dirty air is abrasive, the turbo spins very fast, the dirty air sand blasts the veins right off the turbo.
Not making any definite conclusions but have only seen this on aftermarket filters. Never an OE filter
I'm thinking of going back to oe filter, that can't be good for the rings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I once was all about k&n on my racing quads until i dusted the engine. All was properly oiled after every ride. But again its offroad at all times. I know run a foam that goes into another foam and is straight bad a and stays clean. But i will say im all about stock for our trucks otherwise foam.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I had a K&N years ago and really wasn't impressed.. no performance improvement so i went back to OE filters and never looked back