Just Got My Butt Kicked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Went to get new tires mounted and balanced (ordered on Amazon), walking out with front and rear brakes and rotors and front struts and shocks. 70k miles. Shocks are actually still good but I had a leaky strut so I figured I might as well knock them out too.

That's what I get for thinking I was walking out of here without spending a lot of $$...Good thing I didn't go with the bigger more expensive size!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like the struts and shocks would have lasted longer maybe?

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
that **** happens to me a couple times a year.i can't not have something on my vehicles fixed if it's broke, no matter how minor it is.it snowballs if i let it go.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Seems like the struts and shocks would have lasted longer maybe?
Shocks were OK but are usually replaced between 60-80k miles, so I just said screw it.

I had one leaky front strut... Definitely early for struts but they obviously have to do two at a time. Since I was putting new tires on I didn't want to chance having a tire wear uneven because of a bad strut.

Side note - Falken Wildpeak AT3w tires are CRAZY quiet for an aggressive all terrain tire. I'd say the ride feels really smooth too but that could just be from all the other work I just had done haha.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
that **** happens to me a couple times a year.i can't not have something on my vehicles fixed if it's broke, no matter how minor it is.it snowballs if i let it go.
Yea that's why I had it all done. The guy was trying to ease it on me and I just told him, do what you have to do, I'm keeping this truck for a long time!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what brand struts and shocks did they use to replace?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
what brand struts and shocks did they use to replace?
I actually don't know. I go to our local Mavis instead of the dealership because of how poorly the service was at the dealership. The Mavis is the last privately owned non-franchised location and I know a couple of guys there so I've had a pretty good experience with them on 3 different vehicles.

I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow. Something I should keep an eye out for or just curious?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
You also don't have struts FYI. Make sure they also changed your blinker fluid.
Ohhhhh...Almost got me there!

fb9a33d3289b6dfde5ba61d736c97aeb.jpg

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
lol I think the shop got you because you don't have struts
You're crazy @scubabill...I like you, but you're crazy.

I'm pretty sure I've got struts (or I do now at least haha), but I'm an accountant not a mechanic so I could be wrong!

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Pretty sure you're wrong about that brother...Maybe you're thinking of earlier year Rams?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I may be wrong, my mechanical skills are not that developed, but don't the RAMs have a front strut and spring assembly?
They do, but what do I know? I forgot to ask them to check my blinker fluid!

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Well damn it. You better get back there and order a new 710 cap while you're at it.
I remembered to have them use the orange wiper fluid...Heard it gives you a 5 HP bump at WOT when you have a hemifever tune.

In all seriousness, I have zero desire to get in arguments on here, but the RAM has front struts and rear shocks like you mentioned. I don't know that just because I know it...I know it because I saw it on the lift yesterday and I have 0 reason to distrust the person who took care of the services haha

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I actually don't know. I go to our local Mavis instead of the dealership because of how poorly the service was at the dealership. The Mavis is the last privately owned non-franchised location and I know a couple of guys there so I've had a pretty good experience with them on 3 different vehicles.

I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow. Something I should keep an eye out for or just curious?

i was just curious . tks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
who says our ram 1500s dont have struts? ever been under your truck?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
i was just curious . tks
I was just thinking now I shoulda had them throw on some Bils... Missed opportunity lol

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was just thinking now I shoulda had them throw on some Bils... Missed opportunity lol

You probably would have come out okay if your guys are willing to do online tires they'd probably let you buy the Bils and hand them over.

A lot of franchise places insist on providing the parts at a 100% mark up, because of 'corporate policy on warranty claims'--or so they say.

They also like to put no name brand shocks on unless you insist on a specific brand and they carry it.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
You probably would have come out okay if your guys are willing to do online tires they'd probably let you buy the Bils and hand them over.

A lot of franchise places insist on providing the parts at a 100% mark up, because of 'corporate policy on warranty claims'--or so they say.

They also like to put no name brand shocks on unless you insist on a specific brand and they carry it.
Yea they wouldn't mind. They've gotten plenty of business from my vehicles haha. I'm friendly enough with a couple of the guys...I actually have one of their personal vehicles right now while they finish my alignment haha.

I wish it would have crossed my mind...Wasn't expecting to be doing any of that yesterday so I wasn't thinking.