Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblisle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab
Engine
Magnum 5.2 L 318
I'll take a look into that, thank you.

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Or you can make your own s-bolt. Just buy a threaded rod from hardware store, cut and bend. 1/4-20 is the size you need. There is a diagram of the exact dimensions if you need it.

dblisle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab
Engine
Magnum 5.2 L 318
Looks like I figured it out with a little adjustment of the intake tube.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill tell you an old trick i was shown by a guy that use to race in a stock class to give you that little more jam you get from an expencive cai.

Now if you have a active air this wont work but everything else it should open up your filter housing look how much smaller your inlet pipe is in comparison to your flex to the intake. Now hang on your going to call me crazy lol but go buy your k&n drop in then take a drill with a 1/2" bit and start to drill holes in the bottom of the housing where the air comes in the more the better it will still let the enginge grab as much as it can and give you that cai sound for free

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Ill tell you an old trick i was shown by a guy that use to race in a stock class to give you that little more jam you get from an expencive cai.

Now if you have a active air this wont work but everything else it should open up your filter housing look how much smaller your inlet pipe is in comparison to your flex to the intake. Now hang on your going to call me crazy lol but go buy your k&n drop in then take a drill with a 1/2" bit and start to drill holes in the bottom of the housing where the air comes in the more the better it will still let the enginge grab as much as it can and give you that cai sound for free

I know Ford and all their holdings put things in their intake systems (all of my buddies Ford stuff had some block or 'wall' in the intake piping). Some of GMs holdings do that too, but as far as i've seen Dodge did a pretty good job at keeping the diameter of the intake constant all the way through. Out of any vehicle I or my family/friends have owned, i'm most pleased with the way the Gen2 trucks are set up. Putting holes under the air filter might do something, i'm just not sure how much.

For reference, one of my friends had a Ford Ranger with the 3.0l and he had a plastic ball in the intake right before the air filter that served some purpose. After he put a huge hole in the side of the box right into his fender behind the headlight, he did get a noticeable difference in MAF readings and a little boost in performance, it was slim, but there.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Just thought about an cold air intake this time of year. Maybe ask some of the Midwest Ram owners what happens when driving down a prairie road in heavy blowing snow. Can tell you that air intakes have iced up many times through the years. Just a thought. Also, do you "really" gain anything other than a more time sensitive maintenance requirement? Just wondering.

Wesd100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I' m missing a bit of my factory "cold air intake" on my 1986 /6. It's the section that goes from the air filter housing to the "in fender" section of the intake. Anyone know what this is called or where I can find a replacement

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I' m missing a bit of my factory "cold air intake" on my 1986 /6. It's the section that goes from the air filter housing to the "in fender" section of the intake. Anyone know what this is called or where I can find a replacement

Probably your only bet at this point is a junkyard. You might get lucky and steal one from an older late 80s early 90s Chevy that used the doughnut filter. I think those used the same diameter tube at pretty close to the same length.