This is why I hate letting anyone touch my truck!! (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, Ram is all over this. Distinct and Regional corporate managers are involved now. It looks like my entire dash "skin" is going to be changed out. As you might imagine, I’m very uneasy about this job due to the complexity (and they couldn’t do the simple cluster swap out right), but I cannot just leave the dash cut like it is now. I haven’t even owned the truck for a month yet. Right now it’s not that bad (very small cuts), but who knows what they will look like in a year or two. Ramcares is trying to get a corporate technician to come to the dealership to do the job for me. If that doesn’t work out, then have a corporate manager supervise the job. I really hope one of those happen.

One thing the dealership should know about me (need to tell them) is that I spent 10 yrs in the military (7 in the Army and 3 in the Air Force). I was an aircraft mechanic at 1st but became a TI (Technical Inspector) in the QC (Quality Control) Dept. I was final sign off of all of the work the aircraft mechanics did. My tools were a flashlight, mirror, and a red/black pen. I will spend at least 30 minutes inspecting my truck when I get it back. I might even have my red/black pen with me. I haven’t forgotten how to be a TI. 

Ramcares (Andrea) has been phenomenal. I’ve been very impressed with her and how Ram (FCA) allows her to manage the issues and get things taken care of. I really hope this is a permanent approach used by Ram Customer Care Services.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm glad to hear they are acting like they give a crap anyway. Usually if you act like a reasonable person, are persistent, and are in the right it will pay off. Sometimes you have to go up the chain of command but they all want the same thing. Whatever is easier, cheaper, and makes you go away. If you end up a happy and satisfied customer in the end that's a bonus for everyone concerned. I wonder if peoples lease mentality of " I don't care it's a lease" has trickled down to the techs? So many people are getting a new vehicle in two years so these things are easier to let go.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, this really sucks to see... I would be livid.

I would not let that dealer (or any dealer) remove/replace the dash like that... I would demand that they compensate me for the entire cost of the dash and labor, and I would have an upholstery shop repair it or have a trim piece made to cover the damage...

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, this really sucks to see... I would be livid.

I would not let that dealer (or any dealer) remove/replace the dash like that... I would demand that they compensate me for the entire cost of the dash and labor, and I would have an upholstery shop repair it or have a trim piece made to cover the damage...

I know, but I don't really have those options. I'm almost thinking about leaving it the way it is. My wife is like "f@#k no!!....they need to fix it!!"...lol. The problem that I don't think she's realizing is that they could make it worse! :superhack:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know, but I don't really have those options. I'm almost thinking about leaving it the way it is. My wife is like "f@#k no!!....they need to fix it!!"...lol. The problem that I don't think she's realizing is that they could make it worse! :superhack:

I hear ya... And I would add, they WILL make it worse. Even if they don't visibly damage anything else, can you imagine the rattles and issues you would have down the road, from them removing half of the interior?!?! :(

I really feel for ya man...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm glad to hear they are acting like they give a crap anyway

So rare these days, people are generally the most miserable they have been in a long time. Death to small town values has done in all of the niceties we once enjoyed.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I hear ya... And I would add, they WILL make it worse. Even if they don't visibly damage anything else, can you imagine the rattles and issues you would have down the road, from them removing half of the interior?!?! :(

I really feel for ya man...

Stop scaring the guy. There is no reason why a good tech can't remove and replace the dash. It is not that big of a job on these trucks, anyway. If they send out someone from corporate to do it or at least supervise, it can absolutely be fixed properly.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stop scaring the guy. There is no reason why a good tech can't remove and replace the dash. It is not that big of a job on these trucks, anyway. If they send out someone from corporate to do it or at least supervise, it can absolutely be fixed properly.

You obviously don't follow the horror stories of "factory trained techs" and the wonderful work that they do...
I am not scaring anyone, I am stating the high probability of there being additional problems.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fingers crossed it all gets done correctly brother! What a freakin nightmare!

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I would take my chances and if it isn't right insist they make it right or get me a truck that is. Leaving it that way or some attempted repair would not be an option for me. Additionally, Ram and the so far un-named dealership, we are all watching to see what happens. I know when I had Ram 1500 questions, I googled them and found this site and all these threads to read good and bad. I bet a lot of other people have and will in the future also.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh I would be pissed too and smart move on taking pictures before having them work on it

It's a shame you have to take pictures though.

Very unprofessional on the part of your dealership.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It's a shame you have to take pictures though.

Very unprofessional on the part of your dealership.

Yes it is, kinda off topic. I had a car that I put snow tires on. The tire place gouged the f out of one of the rims. I had my dad go back and say something about it because it was there anyway because they never popped the bead properly and it was leaking air. The tire place said "oh that was there before we replaced the tire". They were new rims from the factory and this was the first time tires were replaced. Point is, I had no proof to make them fix it even though the guy knew damn well that one of his techs did it

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. I honestly feel like almost everyone has a valid point to consider. This is a nightmare. Haven't even had the truck a month....haven't even made a payment yet. As stupid as it sounds, I'm literally sick to my stomach over this. I'm beyond pissed....way beyond.

Just for the hell of it, I called the local upholstery shop that I've used before. I described the cut to them and they said that would be an easy fix. Would only cost $25-$30 for to fix it while I wait. They even said that they would fix it at the dealership (Mullane Motors in Lockport, NY). I'm thinking about it. I'm taking the truck to them (upholstery shop) this Friday to let them look at it and give me a more concrete "diagnosis".

:suicide:

Last edited:

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. I honestly feel like almost everyone has a valid point to consider. This is a nightmare. Haven't even had the truck a month....haven't even made a payment yet. As stupid as it sounds, I'm literally sick to my stomach over this. I'm beyond pissed....way beyond.

Just for the hell of it, I called the local upholstery shop that I've used before. I described the cut to them and they said that would be an easy fix. Would only cost $25-$30 for to fix it while I wait. They even said that they would fix it at the dealership (Mullane Motors in Lockport, NY). I'm thinking about it. I'm taking the truck to them (upholstery shop) this Friday to let them look at it and give me a more concrete "diagnosis".

you do realize the fix is gluing it and mocking the texture

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you do realize the fix is gluing it and mocking the texture

Yes. Not sure if it obvious from the picture, but the cut is only about 1/8" long and is laying perfectly flat right now.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That just sucks. Accidents do happen how they take care of you is only thing I would count for or against them.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7

Would you maybe get the repair done first, see how it comes out? Of course, this would be done and paid for from the dealership. And if you still aren't satisfied, then you will need the dash replaced, also at the cost of the dealership. I find it unfortunate that the dealership is trying to get FCA to pay for this! It's not much different than modifying, let's say your engine, and then having an engine failure. And then trying to get FCA to pay for it.
An example for me was, I had a stone chip in the windshield years ago. Called my insurance company. Free to do a repair, $100 deductible to replace. Told me that if I wasn't satisfied with the repair, then I could still get the windshield replaced for the same $100 deductible. Tried the repair, it was in my sight line, and I could tell where it was, so I ended up with the replacement windshield.
IMHO, I don't think you'd be happy with the repair, but until it's done, and I'm not an upholstery guy, you won't know.
Good luck with this

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think the only one who is not overreacting in this thread is the OP. Yes pulling a dash isnt fun, but its relatively easy to do. I can wager the first tech to work on it was some young chump that screwed up and made a huge mistake cause he didnt want to mess with replacing a cluster at warranty rates. Dealers screw up sometimes and have techs that aren't worth a damn. Allow them to fix it and see the outcome. All this nonsense about what ifs are meaningless. Corporate is involved so I highly doubt anyone higher up is going to allow this to become anymore of a nightmare for anyone involved.

OP, take a breath, let them work it out and how to fix/replace and go from there. ****** situation you shouldnt be faced with but there's not much you can do about the past. Focus on the next steps and try to relax as you've done a hell of a job at that soo far. Just my two cents...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good on OP for staying relatively calm.

This is a rookie techs fault. They clearly used a metal panel tool to pull out the bezel, when a plastic when should have been used. I made this mistake the first time I ever did a radio install. Luckily it was a super old civic that was a POS anyways.

Proper tools and training and this would have never happened. I would expect nothing less than a full replacement of the dash.