DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How in the hell are you guys getting a puller on this wheel?

I have an official "steering wheel puller" but it is older and does not work on the RAM. I also have a Sears "gear puller" that worked perfectly.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swapped out the wheel on my sons 12 yesterday. Just pulled on it hard and it came off.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@ cgeorgemo,

Any chance you can add the VR/Phone Button pn info to your OP as a reference for those that upgrade from an RA1 to RA2 & up radios?

2013-2016 VR/Phone button Assy (56054449AA)
$40

I am up against my character limit in the OP. Every time I add anything something else has to come out. I will try to get that in when I get to a computer instead of this iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am up against my character limit in the OP. Every time I add anything something else has to come out. I will try to get that in when I get to a computer instead of this iPad.

I know what you mean. I'm hitting the 10k character limit on my Ra4 fw Info thread.
If you can't fit it in, don't worry, I went ahead and added it to the 8.4 Conversion thread post 2 under "optional parts".

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Pez68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody have a part number for the 2013+ black leather steering wheel, with phone and radio controls?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anybody have a part number for the 2013+ black leather steering wheel, with phone and radio controls?

I'm not sure that they sell it under one part number like that. The wheel itself has a part number and then there is trim pieces that are a separate part and switches that are also different as well.
If you are looking to get it all at once a salvage yard or EBay might be your best options.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not sure that they sell it under one part number like that. The wheel itself has a part number and then there is trim pieces that are a separate part and switches that are also different as well.
If you are looking to get it all at once a salvage yard or EBay might be your best options.

Exactly this. You will pay out the nose buying from the dealer, especially all the individual pieces.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump ! this fantastic thread is getting buried

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi

Yep, the trim pieces, switches, and wheel are all unique part numbers. I purchased a complete leather wheel from salvage with the audio and vr/phone switches.

You can buy the leather wheel itself on ebay, or mopar websites. But you need to add the trim pieces and switches.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
The airbag clips were the most frustrating part. I cannot see how mpgrimm did this so quickly on his you tube video. The six o'clock one was the worst for me. Not to mention being paranoid about airbag deployment:puke:

Ended up using a paint can opener on the six o'clock.IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg The new leather wheel

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I jacked up my front end till the tires was very light to help turn the wheel while not having power steering.
Then I used the same tool Mpgrimm2 did and mirrored my phone and it took like 2 -3 minutes .
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didn't find the airbag to be too hard. I just lay a spare rear view mirror up against the gauge cluster and then it's pretty easy to to see. It took me maybe 5 minutes the first time around but now I can probably do it in a minute or two. I find it helps if you push in on the airbag slightly when prying on the clips and then pulling back on it when you bend them up clear of the hooks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look at POST # 1 this post exhibits a fantastic video by Super Hero MPGRIMM2 !
showing how to get the airbag off in just minutes!

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damnit !
Your links always work ....mine are 50 / 50
I really need to figure this sh** out !

Last edited:

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 ST Quad 4x4
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Question on this install, I just ordered a leather wheel complete with all buttons in it (Except gears) from a 2014. I have a 2013 ST with no audio buttons and RA1. I have new mirror w/ Mic's and 8.4 RA4 nav ready to install.

For this steering wheel, because I'm buying it complete, does it already have the additional harness installed inside of it ? I'm assuming I'll just swap airbag , wheels, PnP and go .. then should be able to install the 8.4 and use it with stock slightly not fitting bezel.

Just need to know if I need to order parts first. Thanks!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Question on this install, I just ordered a leather wheel complete with all buttons in it (Except gears) from a 2014. I have a 2013 ST with no audio buttons and RA1. I have new mirror w/ Mic's and 8.4 RA4 nav ready to install.

For this steering wheel, because I'm buying it complete, does it already have the additional harness installed inside of it ? I'm assuming I'll just swap airbag , wheels, PnP and go .. then should be able to install the 8.4 and use it with stock slightly not fitting bezel.

Just need to know if I need to order parts first. Thanks!

The new wheel doesn't have the gear buttons. Do you need those? If so you could take them off your current wheel and put them on the new one before you install it.
The new wheel will have the correct harness inside it, you should be good to just swap if you don't need the gear buttons.
If you use the stock RA1 bezel be prepared to push on it kind of hard to get it to click in place over the RA4. I ran like that for a bit before we were able to make the conversion harnesses to use the correct 8.4 bezels.

I wonder what this button does?