I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
This is sound. For something that will only get used a handful of times per year and otherwise sit, rot and cost money- why eat the depreciation? And in the handful of trips that you take, it may not have enough use time for any warranty issues to pop up before the warranty is up.

Ours right now was 5 years old when we bought it- 10 years old now. It's likely going on it's last season coming up. The next one will be a 5th, but I am way to Scotch to spend that kind of money. Again, we'll grab a "seasoned" unit and enjoy the hell out of it. All we do is sleep in it- so who cares?

True, but that coachemen we looked at, at the rv show was nice and would have been $12,700 total out including my trade, which is not worth much. I thought that was pretty good

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is sound. For something that will only get used a handful of times per year and otherwise sit, rot and cost money- why eat the depreciation? And in the handful of trips that you take, it may not have enough use time for any warranty issues to pop up before the warranty is up.

Ours right now was 5 years old when we bought it- 10 years old now. It's likely going on it's last season coming up. The next one will be a 5th, but I am way to Scotch to spend that kind of money. Again, we'll grab a "seasoned" unit and enjoy the hell out of it. All we do is sleep in it- so who cares?

That's the same though process we have. We went looking for a 5er that was 2-5 yrs old.
Ended up with a killer deal on one that was lightly used for one season.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My problem with buying used is the spousal unit, much as I wanted to, she has this freakout over pooping in somebody's used toilet. I kid you not..

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
My problem with buying used is the spousal unit, much as I wanted to, she has this freakout over pooping in somebody's used toilet. I kid you not..

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

$100-200 and 30 minutes would fix that issue.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
$100-200 and 30 minutes would fix that issue.

Exactly. Some people are funny like that. I don't care at all if it's clean.

I used to be a lot more picky, but now that I'm older, if I gotta go, I GO. Lol

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I'm still trying to look to get something use if I can but haven't had any luck, I know that one is out there for me.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
RVTrader has a pretty good ap you can use to filter your search with. That's where I found mine.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It wasn't the toilet, it's the tank under the toilet that gets her. Not as easy to replace..

Don't ever buy a house with a septic system then. Lol!

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
It wasn't the toilet, it's the tank under the toilet that gets her. Not as easy to replace..

Well, you need to be one step ahead of her and tell her you changed that too.

Actually, I'd tell her to be realistic and get over it.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife and I were about to pull the trigger on a brand new Coachmen TT a couple of years back but we took a step back and decided to see what was out there for a similar used unit. We lucked out and found a very similar unit on Craigslist that was 4 years old, a little bigger and a few more options. We were lucky, the people selling it were good people we came to trust and they let us do a very detailed pre-sale inspection. All I found was that the date code on tires showed they were almost 6 years old so he knocked $500 off the price. In the end we got a bigger TT with more options for about 8K less than new would have cost.

No doubt we were lucky but I don't think I'd ever buy new unless we just couldn't find what we wanted within a few hundred miles.

On the other hand, if everyone thought that way there would be no used units on the market ;)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you find based on your experience that when all is said and done your around 30% under msrp? That's the figure i keep hearing when you buy new
Thanks

Yeah - 70% of msrp is a pretty good number to go for. You can do better with a super hungry dealer at a slow time of year or worse with a new/popular model heading into a busy time for your area.

Also, the region has a HUGE impact. With most trailers being manufactured in the midwest and shipping/transport being roughly $2/mile you can just watch the prices go up as you move away from Indiana. I'm out here on the west coast and things are expensive comparatively.

My basic methodology when shopping is to do a search on RV trader or RVT and sort by "best price first". Then decide how far I'm willing to drive or use for comparison when shopping locally.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yeah - 70% of msrp is a pretty good number to go for. You can do better with a super hungry dealer at a slow time of year or worse with a new/popular model heading into a busy time for your area.

Also, the region has a HUGE impact. With most trailers being manufactured in the midwest and shipping/transport being roughly $2/mile you can just watch the prices go up as you move away from Indiana. I'm out here on the west coast and things are expensive comparatively.

My basic methodology when shopping is to do a search on RV trader or RVT and sort by "best price first". Then decide how far I'm willing to drive or use for comparison when shopping locally.

Ok, thanks. Good info and help, i appreciate that.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Food for thought

Well, food for though. Having the 6.4 (gas), one thing that has been a bit of a headache is when fueling and having a longer trailer. Many of the stations don't have the off side or separate fuel islands for those of us that burn gas. If you are diesel fueled, most have the more accessible islands. Can't tell you how many stations that I have had to pass because of not being accessible when you are 60+ ft in length not to mention being over 13' in height.. There have been instances where I have had to drop in a lot and then drive to the station. Just a thought. Ps. I do carry 4, 5 gallon cans of fuel in the bed and have , twice in the lower US, had to use them for this very reason.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well, food for though. Having the 6.4 (gas), one thing that has been a bit of a headache is when fueling and having a longer trailer. Many of the stations don't have the off side or separate fuel islands for those of us that burn gas. If you are diesel fueled, most have the more accessible islands. Can't tell you how many stations that I have had to pass because of not being accessible when you are 60+ ft in length not to mention being over 13' in height.. There have been instances where I have had to drop in a lot and then drive to the station. Just a thought. Ps. I do carry 4, 5 gallon cans of fuel in the bed and have , twice in the lower US, had to use them for this very reason.

Good point Karl. Thankfully my family just does trips within a 2 hr radius from home, so i top off hard before we leave and then i can make the round trip without fueling.

I'm finding the 6.4 is a thirsty beast though, so that may change. Lol. But i could at least make it to the CG and then fuel.

But if we ever take the TT to Disney, that will be an issue

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Come to think of it I've never gassed up with my 5th wheel attached. I guess I've never gone far enough without stopping/camping/unhooking that I needed to.

I had a bit of an "incident" with my first 5th wheel. About 24 hours after purchasing it I pulled off a busy highway into a station. Right away I noticed the awning was far too low but I was committed so I had to at least pull into the parking lot. The attendant went absolutely CRAZY running and waving his arms, thinking I was going to keep driving into the overhang.

No way to go around the gas island roof and it really sucked backing onto the highway.... let me tell you. I gave the gas guy $10 to go stop traffic.... people honking, the whole bit. Worst part was I was still about out of fuel :)

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Not sure in other areas, but in upstate NY, all truck stops have a gas and diesel in the truck lanes. Now I realise some destinations are a long way from truck stops. Just tossing out a option some might not have thought of.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Not sure in other areas, but in upstate NY, all truck stops have a gas and diesel in the truck lanes. Now I realise some destinations are a long way from truck stops. Just tossing out a option some might not have thought of.

Thanks mowin. On I95 there are some flying J truck stops i know i could get into and out of pretty easily and my favorite place to stop on 95 in NC, Kinley 95 (large light house)

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I found a few use down in Portland, OR that I might check out but they have a lot of snow now so it's not going to happen no time soon. They also suppose to have a RV's show here this week end, it be worth going.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I found a few use down in Portland, OR that I might check out but they have a lot of snow now so it's not going to happen no time soon. They also suppose to have a RV's show here this week end, it be worth going.

Rv shows are always fun to go to even if your not in the market just to look at the new rigs. I always enjoy it