6.4L Oil and MS-12633

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I get that Hootbro. I was just inserting my opinion. People are free to use what they want as it is their money and truck. I only find some of these posts "interesting".

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I like valvoline oils. I'll need to check and see if they have any that meets that spec.

I have a hard time believing that you'd have an engine warranty claim denied just because the oil your using does not meet that spec, so long as it was the correct viscosity (0w-40) but i guess anything is possible

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I like valvoline oils. I'll need to check and see if they have any that meets that spec.

I have a hard time believing that you'd have an engine warranty claim denied just because the oil your using does not meet that spec, so long as it was the correct viscosity (0w-40) but i guess anything is possible

Me too. I think if you went in there with a blown engine and said "hey do you think this blew because I used non MS-12633 oil" they would ask you what MS-12633 was!

About the only way I can see them deny the warranty is if you rolled in there at 59,000 miles with 1 quart of black sludge in the motor and told them you had a warranty engine claim... :crazy:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just got my Blackstone Labs back on my last OCI using MAG 1 full synthetic 5W-30 in place of 0W-40. Just as I suspected, no increase wear or detriment to using it.

Just offering this as a data point and example. I am not advocating deviating from the OM recommendations.

RAM%20OIL%202.jpg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Me too. I think if you went in there with a blown engine and said "hey do you think this blew because I used non MS-12633 oil" they would ask you what MS-12633 was!

About the only way I can see them deny the warranty is if you rolled in there at 59,000 miles with 1 quart of black sludge in the motor and told them you had a warranty engine claim... :crazy:

Yes, exactly. If your a very different viscosity, i could see it, but not if you use 0w- 40, but what do i know

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Just got my Blackstone Labs back on my last OCI using MAG 1 full synthetic 5W-30 in place of 0W-40. Just as I suspected, no increase wear or detriment to using it.

Just offering this as a data point and example. I am not advocating deviating from the OM recommendations.

RAM%20OIL%202.jpg

Thanks hoot, i appreciate that. No you're not suggesting anyone not use the MS spec oil, but your results prove you won't hurt the 6.4 by not using it. I appreciate that because again, i prefer valvoline oil and I'd rather use their 0w-40 wt.

Legally, if challenged, i don't know that the oem could deny an engine warranty claim for not using their specific spec oil, so long as your running the right viscosity.

I think the Magnussen -Moss act may have a provision that would forbid them from denying it based on that, but I'd have to review it again. It's been awhile since I've read it.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not trying to argue or shoot down what your results show, but using a different oil for one OCI isn't going to show any abnormal wear on a relatively new engine. Now, I dont think it'll cause any abnormal wear regardless but the results really don't do anything but piece of mind, doesn't prove or disprove anything. Ive always been an amsoil fan, used them on all my previous Hemi's with great results, quieter idle with less Hemi tick so Ill probably use them again, especially since its a qualified oil under MS-12633.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
You have to set a baseline, then monitor any deviations from that baseline.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just put in some Castrol Edge 0w-40 with Fram Ultra small filter. So far so good, already seems quieter than the M1.

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just put in some Castrol Edge 0w-40 with Fram Ultra small filter. So far so good, already seems quieter than the M1.

Yea I got a 100 miles on this combo so far and it seems fine.

Next time I may try the bigger filter from 5 year ago 5.7L's... :)

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yea I got a 100 miles on this combo so far and it seems fine.

Next time I may try the bigger filter from 5 year ago 5.7L's... :)

I noticed with the Fram models, the larger XG2 has smaller inlet holes versus the smaller XG10060 filter. I was this close to going with the XG2 but figured the larger inlet holes on the XG10060 would be more beneficial. I have used the XG2 before, but yesterday was the first time I held them side by side, and sure enough, the XG2 had smaller holes. Odd.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
What would be the wix xp part number for the slightly larger filter. I am running the stock size one now but will be ordering my oil and filter soon. I run the amsoil. Only changed the oil once so far. 8200 miles on truck so far. Will have it 2 years in sept. 2017

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have any of you guys run the Viper filter on your trucks? I don't even know if it will work, but many of us run it on our 6.4 cars because it has shown to be a very good filter.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Is this the right stuff?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMCCE6U

@ $52.51 for a box of 6 seems like a good price.

-Guzzler

Check your local Autozone store...0w40 PUP can be had for as low as $2.00 qt at times...Have the cashier check inventory at other close by stores and stock up...Also some of the other big retail auto parts stores will do price matching, so use it to your advantage.........