Adding cooled seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chris3209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran a fused positive wire from my battery to into my cab under my drivers seat. I installed 10 slot fuse box under the seat. I tap into power for my seats and power folding mirrors and any other accessories I need to wire there. You just need to tap into the solid black wire and solid red wire in the yellow plug in each seat. Dodgetk81 and 00/RT were nice enough to send me some great schematics. I will be happy to forward them to you if you want to PM me your email add.

Rick, would you mind posting a couple pics of this setup?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick, would you mind posting a couple pics of this setup?

My wife takes my truck to her work since it's a lot closer to home. We work completely different schedules. I will try to get some pics for you when I can do it in the daylight. It's a simple setup. Just a positive fused wire into the cab from the battery connected to a fuse box I mounted under the seat with velcro. Then you just run your power from there to anything that requires constant 12v power like the power seat adjust or in case my power fold mirrors. This is a picture of a couple of different fuse boxes on ebay. It's actually extremely simple to I install. I will shoot some pics as soon as I have my truck in the daylight if you want.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-10-11-51-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-10-11-51-22.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2017-01-10-11-49-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-10-11-49-12.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 70

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK jus a quick update on the heated and cooled seats and wheel. I just got it all finished up and it works! Everything functions exactly as it should! The first thing I want to mention is I didn't figure this out 00/RT did. I only followed his lead throughout the instalation. Before he joined our forum we were all under the assumption that this mod was impossible for the trucks that did not have the wiring. We were also told that it wouldn't work without the correct sales codes added......That was all wrong. I bought the tool from Auto ingenuity so I was able to add the correct codes for the controls to come up on my RA4 but the seats worked perfect without installing any codes. I was able to turn them on and of with the hard keys. I am going to try to do a writeup on this as soon as I get everything buttoned up. I installed my own relay because I didn't want to wait for my apt. Now that it is all done I don't believe this will be to hard to duplicate if someone wants to give it a shot. Thanks again to 00/RT and all the others who sent me schematics. I am posting a coup of picture and will do the writeup on it later.

Attachments

• 20170115_101907.jpg
    20170115_101907.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170115_105923.jpg
    20170115_105923.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 56

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You shouldn't have told anybody yet, Rick. You're gonna drive up the price on the seats before I get a set. [emoji16]

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm totally in on this!!! Rick is the frigging man!!

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK jus a quick update on the heated and cooled seats and wheel. I just got it all finished up and it works! Everything functions exactly as it should! The first thing I want to mention is I didn't figure this out 00/RT did. I only followed his lead throughout the instalation. Before he joined our forum we were all under the assumption that this mod was impossible for the trucks that did not have the wiring. We were also told that it wouldn't work without the correct sales codes added......That was all wrong. I bought the tool from Auto ingenuity so I was able to add the correct codes for the controls to come up on my RA4 but the seats worked perfect without installing any codes. I was able to turn them on and of with the hard keys. I am going to try to do a writeup on this as soon as I get everything buttoned up. I installed my own relay because I didn't want to wait for my apt. Now that it is all done I don't believe this will be to hard to duplicate if someone wants to give it a shot. Thanks again to 00/RT and all the others who sent me schematics. I am posting a coup of picture and will do the writeup on it later.

Oh yeah. My Laramie seats can't wait for a little heat and cooling when I install them!!!

A lot of people are really great full for all of your and 00R/T's efforts to make this work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Def can't wait for this write up. Just did a 5 hour ride with my sweet no lumbar Express seats. The search for the Laramie seats is on

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great news! Glad you guys were able to figure it out. I've been putting it off, but now I need to order my pins and such.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I added my heated cloth seats to my bighorn, just waiting on the switch. Are you saying I don't need to get a sales code added?

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have been looking for some Laramie seats. Man are they hard to find at a decent price. I have found some nice ones but $2500 is way overpriced to me. I've also found more tan seats than anything else. So it's a matter of changing more of my interior to match the tan seats I can find. Or wait until I find some black or grey ones. So happy you have figured out how to make them all work. Please do that thorough step by step DIY write up. Cannot wait to do this. Thanks for all your hard work

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have been looking for some Laramie seats. Man are they hard to find at a decent price. I have found some nice ones but $2500 is way overpriced to me. I've also found more tan seats than anything else. So it's a matter of changing more of my interior to match the tan seats I can find. Or wait until I find some black or grey ones. So happy you have figured out how to make them all work. Please do that thorough step by step DIY write up. Cannot wait to do this. Thanks for all your hard work

I hear ya. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money. It's even harder for me because I just need the front two. That means I either need to find a truck that has damage to the rear seats, a yard that's willing to break up a set, or a set that's cheap enough for me to toss the rears.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear ya. There's no way I'm spending that kind of money. It's even harder for me because I just need the front two. That means I either need to find a truck that has damage to the rear seats, a yard that's willing to break up a set, or a set that's cheap enough for me to toss the rears.

I'm looking to do the same. Could care less about swapping my rear bench out. Just want the driver and passenger seats. Color wouldn't matter because I'm gonna get a set of Katskins to recover them with to match my rear bench. The prices on these seats are insane for no reason

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay vigilant, keep searching car-part.com and your local salvage yards. I just installed the front cloth seats out of a Big Horn (with Rick''s help) granted they are not the sweet leather Laramie ones, but they are power, lumbar, heated, and has the inverter. But for $300 for the set, in mint condition, including the center counsel, there was no way I was going to turn it down, since I have seat covers anyways. I'm totally going to drive Rick insane doing this mod, which is always fun...can't wait!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added my heated cloth seats to my bighorn, just waiting on the switch. Are you saying I don't need to get a sales code added?

Yes they worked without the sales code. You will also get the little icons on the top right side of your screen. You just won't have the control screen on the radio.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Stay vigilant, keep searching car-part.com and your local salvage yards. I just installed the front cloth seats out of a Big Horn (with Rick''s help) granted they are not the sweet leather Laramie ones, but they are power, lumbar, heated, and has the inverter. But for $300 for the set, in mint condition, including the center counsel, there was no way I was going to turn it down, since I have seat covers anyways. I'm totally going to drive Rick insane doing this mod, which is always fun...can't wait!

I'd be totally fine with cloth power seats as well. I just haven't found anything local to me. Heck within 100 miles even

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
OK just a quick update on the heated and cooled seats and wheel. I just got it all finished up and it works! Everything functions exactly as it should! The first thing I want to mention is I didn't figure this out 00/RT did. I only followed his lead throughout the installation. Before he joined our forum we were all under the assumption that this mod was impossible for the trucks that did not have the wiring. We were also told that it wouldn't work without the correct sales codes added......That was all wrong. I bought the tool from Auto ingenuity so I was able to add the correct codes for the controls to come up on my RA4 but the seats worked perfect without installing any codes. I was able to turn them on and of with the hard keys. I am going to try to do a writeup on this as soon as I get everything buttoned up. I installed my own relay because I didn't want to wait for my apt. Now that it is all done I don't believe this will be to hard to duplicate if someone wants to give it a shot. Thanks again to 00/RT and all the others who sent me schematics. I am posting a coup of picture and will do the writeup on it later.

That is great news! Kudo's to 00/RT and you :happy107: I picked up a set of Tan Laramie pwr/heat/cool/seats from facebook. I installed them last weekend and have the power seat portion working and am looking forward to the heated/cooling portion working. I need to order the new dash switch and heated seat module, then build up the harness. By chance does the memory seat and heated steering wheel work?, also does the heated seat switch on the dash work in both the hi and lo heat position and show the hi/lo LED on the switch? At the same time I'll be doing the fog light switch install and the 5.0 to 8.4NAV bezel swap to 7 speed fan. I have verified the wiring and sales code for the factory heated seats is not in my truck. I think the dealer installed heat seat sales code may be available. Thanks for all your hard work and persistence guys!

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Out of curiosity if I were to get a BCM out of a decked out Laramie/ Longhorn would it have the sales codes already loaded... or is it also VIN dependent for things to work? (after I get the wiring harness modified of course :favorites13:)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is great news! Kudo's to 00/RT and you :happy107: I picked up a set of Tan Laramie pwr/heat/cool/seats from facebook. I installed them last weekend and have the power seat portion working and am looking forward to the heated/cooling portion working. I need to order the new dash switch and heated seat module, then build up the harness. By chance does the memory seat and heated steering wheel work?, also does the heated seat switch on the dash work in both the hi and lo heat position and show the hi/lo LED on the switch? At the same time I'll be doing the fog light switch install and the 5.0 to 8.4NAV bezel swap to 7 speed fan. I have verified the wiring and sales code for the factory heated seats is not in my truck. I think the dealer installed heat seat sales code may be available. Thanks for all your hard work and persistence guys!

You wont need a heated seat module. The module is mounted to your drivers seat. I installed the heated wheel and clockspring with the steering wheel harness and it works perfectly. I did not try to activate the memory. Everything else works exactly as it should without the sales code by just using the switches on the dash. The LED's light up in red for heat and blue for cool. I have full control of hi and low heat and vent. You do not need to add the codes in order for it to work but you will not have the soft keys come up on your screen unless you add the codes. I added the codes with my tool and I now have the controls on my RA4 as well.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
You wont need a heated seat module. The module is mounted to your drivers seat. I installed the heated wheel and clockspring with the steering wheel harness and it works perfectly. I did not try to activate the memory. Everything else works exactly as it should without the sales code by just using the switches on the dash. The LED's light up in red for heat and blue for cool. I have full control of hi and low heat and vent. You do not need to add the codes in order for it to work but you will not have the soft keys come up on your screen unless you add the codes. I added the codes with my tool and I now have the controls on my RA4 as well.

That's great to hear Rick :happy107: I have the heated wheel (installed), new clockspring ready to install, just need to buy the switch panel and modify the harness and I should be good to go. The memory function not operating is NOT a deal breaker :favorites13: Can't wait to make this happen :happy107: