Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
She visits BITOG regularly! I would bet she rarely if not at all here! Your best chance Burla is just keep trying through BITOG.

I know visiting the on-line forums isn't her top priority so it might take a week or 2 for a reply back.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I PMed her on BITOG. I guess it will just take weeks, no prob. Thanks

Diesel358

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So about a week ago I changed my oil and added the PUP from the Pennzoil challenge. I chose the 5W-30 blend and installed a WIX XP oil filter. My motor is a 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi with a total of 10,500 miles purchased new in March 2016. Before the oil change I was using Royal Purple High Performance 5W-20 and was pleased with it. I added the Royal Purple when the motor reached 1,000 miles and ran the oil for 9,500 miles. I chose Royal Purple after reading some post from other members, oil analyst, and honestly I got a great deal on 2 one gallon jugs at Walmart. I never had any issues with the Royal Purple, no Hemi tick, nothing and was a little hesitant switching to Pennzoil, but hey it's free oil so why not.

I sent my Royal Purple oil out to Blackstone for testing and just received the results yesterday. I've posted a pic of the report with this reply but if you can't see it let me know. Blackstone says I could try running it up to 11,000 miles. Like I said I was pleased with the Royal Purple but I'm anxious to see how this PUP works in my Hemi. It may be in my mind but I think the top end of my motor is a little more quiet and I've had no Hemi knock or lifter noise at start up. I've only put maybe 150 miles on the truck since changing the oil but I gotta admit that so far I like it. Good luck to the other guys in the program!
9cc2ba92fc455ea209d8fd36258a9205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gena got back to me and said she is sending another kit asap. Once you send in the first UOA just PM her, I'm sure she double checks and sends you the second. I have the values on the first uoa posted in the syn thread from old oil, I will wait til I get a full run on PUP and post the two together in this or both threads.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got my second kit, thanks again to Gena and Penzoil and our boy Syn. Penzoil really stepped up and payed for us to understand how high the quality is of their GtL based oils. I will post both uoa's up in syn thread when I egt the second one done, here as well.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've messaged her on bitog and no reply yet to get my second kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It takes a while, but she'll get it out.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
I believe it is over.
Been 3 months, 2 separate e-mails, no replies, no oil.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
From what I remember Gena telling me her team is only allowed so many kits per run.
I think they do one give out in the summer and one in the winter. Or basically spring and fall.

Best thing to do is keep an eye out at BITOG within the passenger car/truck oil thread.

I will try to as well and announce it here as fast as a can. She wants other owners besides us (Ram Owners) to get kits as well.

She might start ignoring my request a lot more due to the fact that I told her I was probably switching back to M1 since the ultra has gone almost extinct as well as been given ridiculously high pricing!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You said that, Dang Synister. But I have to say the lack of availability of PUP is the most disappointing thing around the oil world imo. Let's hope they solve it, especially for the SRT guys man. It was last year when you saw all of those commercials, and I have not seen a single commercial on Penzoil Synthetics since last super bowl.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good news! I was at my local Walmart (St-Bruno,QC, Canada) yesterday and they had some PUP! Now it was 14$ CAD a quart so I didn't buy it since I still have some stock leftover for at least another oil change. But it look like it's still available

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You said that, Dang Synister. But I have to say the lack of availability of PUP is the most disappointing thing around the oil world imo. Let's hope they solve it, especially for the SRT guys man. It was last year when you saw all of those commercials, and I have not seen a single commercial on Penzoil Synthetics since last super bowl.

Burla: I have a very distinct problem of telling people exactly how I feel. (I call it Honesty)!

Shell and Pennzoil really let me down on this one. I had intentions and High hopes on using the ultra throughout my 5.7L lifespan.
This oil really has my 5.7L running smooth/quiet. Has since the day I poured it in.

I figured in a short amount of time it would end up back on every shelf at the same price point as M1\Castrol\all the other synthetic oils would be. So far in my area that has not happened.
The only place I have access to the ultra is through Amazon which it is always out of stock or priced so high the normal owner wouldn't even look twice at it. Or at Walmart.com to where it is almost always out of stock.

I just don't honestly feel like I as an owner should have to search high and low to find their product in stock at a reasonable price / And them (Pennzoil) expect me to buy it @ these stupidly high prices. When I can buy M1 for $25-$28 for a 5qt jug as well as Castrol Edge. I can actually purchase Amsoil now dropped of at my door for about the same price Amazon is asking for PUP.

I would really like to keep using the ultra it is a remarkable oil. But if this fiasco is still going On in June which is time for my summer old change I will have no other choice than to switch either to M1 / Amsoil.
I'm Not a fan of playing Marco Polo.

Just as 1 prime example:

Pennzoil 550045201 Ultra Platinum 5 quart 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF-5 Jug) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M266FWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EfkKyb7BTT4CY

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Burla: I have a very distinct problem of telling people exactly how I feel. (I call it Honesty)!

Shell and Pennzoil really let me down on this one. I had intentions and High hopes on using the ultra throughout my 5.7L lifespan.
This oil really has my 5.7L running smooth/quiet. Has since the day I poured it in.

I figured in a short amount of time it would end up back on every shelf at the same price point as M1\Castrol\all the other synthetic oils would be. So far in my area that has not happened.
The only place I have access to the ultra is through Amazon which it is always out of stock or priced so high the normal owner wouldn't even look twice at it. Or at Walmart.com to where it is almost always out of stock.

I just don't honestly feel like I as an owner should have to search high and low to find their product in stock at a reasonable price / And them (Pennzoil) expect me to buy it @ these stupidly high prices. When I can buy M1 for $25-$28 for a 5qt jug as well as Castrol Edge. I can actually purchase Amsoil now dropped of at my door for about the same price Amazon is asking for PUP.

I would really like to keep using the ultra it is a remarkable oil. But if this fiasco is still going On in June which is time for my summer old change I will have no other choice than to switch either to M1 / Amsoil.
I'm Not a fan of playing Marco Polo.

Just as 1 prime example:

Pennzoil 550045201 Ultra Platinum 5 quart 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF-5 Jug) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M266FWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EfkKyb7BTT4CY

completely agree. never used amsoil as it wasn't convenient. no reason the pennzoil should be convenient either. cost is set by the market.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l gas
Napa has it on sale for $5.99 a quart until the end of February.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Napa has it on sale for $5.99 a quart until the end of February.

OK I took the bait! Drove six blocks to the local Napa store or if you want to call it a store.
Walked in and looked down the oil row everything had like an inch of dust all over the bottles. Walked up to the counter and asked the two goobers if they even knew what the pennzoil ultra platinum was! You should've seen the look I got.

One of these so-called workers told me he had never even heard of the ultra. The other one just sat and looked at me. Anyway NAPA online shows few of the store stock it but I didn't see that sale Price. Anyway while those two goofballs sat and looked at each other I just turned around and walked out.
I did give them a little advice as I walked out I told him they might want to dust all the dust off their shelves and especially on the old bottles of oil people might think about buying something in there.

Long story short: my local NAPA did not stock the ultra. I checked the born on date of the platinum. At least a year to two years old.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^^ Sad ^^^^

My bet is Syn is done with PUP.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
No not so fast my friend! LoL

If the local Walmart would get it back on the shelves at the same price as mobile one EP or Castrol edge and always keep it in stock like those two brands are. I would continue to use it for the life of my RAM.
Hell I would be happy if Amazon could just could keep it in stock & at a reasonable price. That's all that I ask. But Pennzoil's really high IQ distribution team can't even handle that. I am beginning to honestly think they really just don't give a crap.

You know you have to really wonder why even send out UOA kits with oil that the customer will hardly ever have a chance of purchasing off-the-shelf.

The easy fix would just be to be what the normal owner would do and switch to pennzoil platinum 5W-30. One problem with that I'm not the normal owner and secondly I am a huge fan of Moly/ phosphorus\zinc which the platinum series is somewhat lacking.

Just to explain this trip to Napa started off wrong as I walked in the door and spotted these two workers if you call them on their phones and not actually tending to the store. Which is my biggest pet peeve of all. That totally set the tone for my in-store visit.

So Burla you might be right. We will see come June.

I should have asked them the million dollar question: does my Hemi have a flat tappet cam and lifters or a roller cam and lifters?

With all of those harsh words being spewed out my mouth I still want to run the ultra platinum I only hope Shell\Pennzoil makes it more available to Us @ a respectable price. Otherwise I will go and look elsewhere.
I just find myself thinking that this company just does not care enough to do this.
I also think this one brand can damn sure give M1 a run for it's money if it would make it available to everybody @ the same price point!!!

OK I do apologize I'm off my soapbox now! Spending an hour at the gym helped.
Work & being on your dam cell phone just don't set well with me!

Last edited:

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l gas
OK I took the bait! Drove six blocks to the local Napa store or if you want to call it a store.
Walked in and looked down the oil row everything had like an inch of dust all over the bottles. Walked up to the counter and asked the two goobers if they even knew what the pennzoil ultra platinum was! You should've seen the look I got.

One of these so-called workers told me he had never even heard of the ultra. The other one just sat and looked at me. Anyway NAPA online shows few of the store stock it but I didn't see that sale Price. Anyway while those two goofballs sat and looked at each other I just turned around and walked out.
I did give them a little advice as I walked out I told him they might want to dust all the dust off their shelves and especially on the old bottles of oil people might think about buying something in there.

Long story short: my local NAPA did not stock the ultra. I checked the born on date of the platinum. At least a year to two years old.

I am a Napa truck center.
I bought some for my Ram.
Like I said earlier, the sale is from 1/1/2017 to 2/28/2017.
The platinum is @ $4.99 a quart and the Ultra Platinum is @ $5.99 a quart.
I haven't found a Napa store that stocks it, but they have it in their DC warehouse.
Most Napa's get a warehouse delivery every day or two, so they would be able to get it for you.
As far as a born date, that wouldn't even concern me.

My DC warehouse show :
150 quarts of 0W-40
162 quarts of 0W-20
138 quarts of 10W-30
6 quarts of 5W-20

Last edited:

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l gas
SYN, where are you from / live ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here was Gena's response to me asking about distribution. And she would appreciate anyone taking part in the program to write a review about the oil. Kinda the least we can do, especially since we are seeing a decrease in wear numbers with PUP.

Hi Burla - we appreciate your praise!

In addition to being available via online retailers such as Amazon and Walmart, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is sold by national retailers. To find a retilaer near you please visit the Pennzoil Store Locator: Retailers. Once you input your zip code, dots will populate on the map indicating where Pennzoil is sold. The black dots indicate where Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is sold.

While you're on the website, we'd also love if you could post a review of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum so others can understand first hand from another customer the powerful benefits of using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum! All you have to do is visit the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum page on Pennzoil.com and click 'Write a Review'.