Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone put a back up camera on their truck? Any recommendations? Would like to make hooking up to my trailer a lil easier.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love one to help with the tiny rear view mirror.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i added one on the front and the rear. both are audiovox.any aftermarket will do for what they are.i should add they work way better at night if you have installed pods or flush mount backup lights.i have both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i added one on the front and the rear. both are audiovox.any aftermarket will do for what they are.i should add they work way better at night if you have installed pods or flush mount backup lights.i have both.

Is yours a wireless one or wired? Wireless would be nice but worries me on loosing connection.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Plenty of threads about adding one and a ton of You Tube videos to help install.. I had the a OEM installed last week at my Dealer 525$ but that can run up to 1k$ depending on the dealer.. The OEM camera kit is less then 300 $. 2/3 hr install and the marker lines will move w/the steering wheel unlike after market which are fixed I believe..Plus the OEM need s to be flashed at the dealer, Tones of after market and the cheapest version is a GARMIN GPS 67 LM I think ,it can have a camera to it , not sure if it is wireless! I have the Uconnect Factory radio and it was made to take the Camera.. If you have a regular radio you will need a after market radio that is Back up camera friendly. Also look in the search box for tons of threads on it.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Is yours a wireless one or wired? Wireless would be nice but worries me on loosing connection.

wired,so i can move it up to the camper when it's on the truck,or just the truck.i have about 4 feet of extra wire coiled up behind the bumper right now. fortunately,my kenwood dd has inputs for two cameras.rear one on a switch on the dash that i can turn on while moving forward and the front through the deck switch by tapping the screen.i can adjust the marker lines on both or make them invisible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Plenty of threads about adding one and a ton of You Tube videos to help install.. I had the a OEM installed last week at my Dealer 525$ but that can run up to 1k$ depending on the dealer.. The OEM camera kit is less then 300 $. 2/3 hr install and the marker lines will move w/the steering wheel unlike after market which are fixed I believe..Plus the OEM need s to be flashed at the dealer, Tones of after market and the cheapest version is a GARMIN GPS 67 LM I think ,it can have a camera to it , not sure if it is wireless! I have the Uconnect Factory radio and it was made to take the Camera.. If you have a regular radio you will need a after market radio that is Back up camera friendly. Also look in the search box for tons of threads on it.

I didn't look in the 4th gen but none came up when I searched in the 3rd gen. I don't believe it was an option from factory for any 3rd gens.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I didn't look in the 4th gen but none came up when I searched in the 3rd gen. I don't believe it was an option from factory for any 3rd gens.

Does the 3rd gen have the Uconnect Radio 5.0 or 8.4 ? If not the I would guess you need to go after market or a unit with a remote screen. Check out the Garmin GPS units or a radio upgrade

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
you can also replace the rear view mirror with one with a camera monitor built into it.i almost went that route before my stock h/u **** the bed and i upgraded to the kenwood .

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does the 3rd gen have the Uconnect Radio 5.0 or 8.4 ? If not the I would guess you need to go after market or a unit with a remote screen. Check out the Garmin GPS units or a radio upgrade

No it doesn't. Guess I should've asked for input on aftermarket set ups in my first post so I didn't confuse people. Sorry about that.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you can also replace the rear view mirror with one with a camera monitor built into it.i almost went that route before my stock h/u **** the bed and i upgraded to the kenwood .

Yea I saw the mirrors but mine has the night dimming and the Bluetooth for my phone in it so i don't think I wanna go that route. Probably would be fine with a monitor that comes with most kits. Just not sure what kit to get cause you can find one on Amazon with decent reviews for $45, which seems to cheap but it has good reviews. Then there's the obvious better ones for $150-200. Just seeing if the better ones are worth the money or should I just try the cheap one from Amazon.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
No it doesn't. Guess I should've asked for input on aftermarket set ups in my first post so I didn't confuse people. Sorry about that.
Not a problem at all wait till you hit my age and ask a question lol
As mentioned there are tons of aftermarket radios that will do the trick,, Depends on your budget, But the more you spend on a unit the better the picture and sound from the radio ! I also learned you get what you pay for ,A better unit will usually hold up better then a cheapo. If you travel a lot the GARMIN GPS/Back up camera is a good option and is a good brand. They also have a refurb section to save a few bucks, I have a Old Garmin Refurb GPS that is 10+ years old FYI

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not a problem at all wait till you hit my age and ask a question lol
As mentioned there are tons of aftermarket radios that will do the trick,, Depends on your budget, But the more you spend on a unit the better the picture and sound from the radio ! I also learned you get what you pay for ,A better unit will usually hold up better then a cheapo. If you travel a lot the GARMIN GPS/Back up camera is a good option and is a good brand. They also have a refurb section to save a few bucks, I have a Old Garmin Refurb GPS that is 10+ years old FYI

Yea I saw the garmin kits and they seem nice but I already have the factory nav in my truck so that seemed a lil unnecessary. But that's good to know a refurb is still working after that long!

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have the navigation and wanting the back up camera for my wife because she has trouble backing up the truck compared to her car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yea I saw the garmin kits and they seem nice but I already have the factory nav in my truck so that seemed a lil unnecessary. But that's good to know a refurb is still working after that long!
So you have the factory Nav in your truck then Maybe this OEM kit will work, Has to be flashed at the dealer to get it to work. I do not know of any hacks to bypass it.. Here are a few I had bookmarked when I was looking.. Also You Tube and on sight here tons of install info
OEM Kit
OEM MOPAR Backup Camera for RAM 82214240 | TascaParts.com

I found a Crutchfield kit
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5flYxlqKM0e/p_249RCH75DC/Crux-RVCCH-75DC-Backup-Camera-System.html

Aftermarket
Yada Backup camera BT53328M-1 - Read 5 Reviews on Yada #BT53328M-1

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same for the price you almost can't beat it. I would only want a bigger screen like my navigation but beggars can't be choosers I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 Big Horn with the 8.4 UConnect radio. I do not have the backup camera. Can you tell me where the camera goes? Does it mount to the bumper? Do I need a hole in bumper for camera? Im seriously looking into doing this to my truck.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2013 Big Horn with the 8.4 UConnect radio. I do not have the backup camera. Can you tell me where the camera goes? Does it mount to the bumper? Do I need a hole in bumper for camera? Im seriously looking into doing this to my truck.

On yours it goes in the tailgate handle. Would have to get another handle with the camera hole in it.