Parts store stories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone have any funny stories from dealing with parts stores.
I'll go first.

I was in a certain parts store buying windshield wipers. Guy behind the desk asks if he can help. Tell him what I need he puts my info in year make model etc. Then proceeds to ask if it 2 or 4 wheel drive. Look at him seriously and as if it made a difference and if the the 4x4 ones had mud grips.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I walk into one....

Pretty much anytime I would go in getting parts for an old 85 CJ I had... it was a 85 CJ with a 99 Vortec 4.3L / 4l65E, Dana 60 rear with Exporer disk brakes, a J20 Dana 44 up front, and all custom from there... it would make the parts guys head spin cause he didn't know what to put in the computer to find what parts I needed.

But still any other time.... Like yesterday I had a guy tell me not to use high temp engine paint cause it is harder and will crack.... Uh what.....?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any funny stories from dealing with parts stores.
I'll go first.

I was in a certain parts store buying windshield wipers. Guy behind the desk asks if he can help. Tell him what I need he puts my info in year make model etc. Then proceeds to ask if it 2 or 4 wheel drive. Look at him seriously and as if it made a difference and if the the 4x4 ones had mud grips.

I worked at a local O Reilly's for a few years part time and like most parts stores everyone there does know a lot about vehicles. The computer parts program make you ask/enter those kind of questions even for some things that don't matter. They don't always know that it doesn't matter if a truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive for things like wipers, bulbs, etc.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just yesterday I was in a parts store buy brakes a caliper and a rotor. The guy asked all my info. Get ready to check out and he proceeds to ask me if in was working on a car or a truck!

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haven't really had any personal issues I can remember but my best friend growing up worked at O'Reilly's as a manager and he told me a customer came in once and asked him for a 710 cap (Seven Ten). He looked at the guy perplexed, then realized that 710 flipped over is OIL... Some people are just not very bright.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've had a lot of pieced together vehicles over the years and learned to ask for the part for the vehicle it is from not the vehicle it is on so their head doesn't explode. A friend worked at an auto parts store and a customer keep telling him his car was a Pontiac Goolee. He finally says, lets go have a look sir. It was a Pontiac 6000 LE. Goolee is how he read it.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I worked at a local O Reilly's for a few years part time and like most parts stores everyone there does know a lot about vehicles. The computer parts program make you ask/enter those kind of questions even for some things that don't matter. They don't always know that it doesn't matter if a truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive for things like wipers, bulbs, etc.

I currently work at another chain parts store and this is correct. Computers are supposed to help but sometimes they just complicate the most simple task. Then to top it of the computer geeks decide that we need a new program on the computer, instead of developing a complete new program they just design an add on that sort of works with the other one. Went to work one day and according to the computer we didn't have one part in the store, nothing. We could look up part numbers and then go look on the shelf to see if we had it or not. Its all good when it works.

78loadstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My regular parts store is closed on Sunday so I went into a chain and asked for a two prong 12v flasher. Guy asked what kind of vehicle. Told him '63 IHC c-900. went to computer and said he didn't have a listing for that vehicle. Told him just go back to where they keep that kind of stuff and pull out a 12v two prong flasher. Couldn't make him understand that it was not a vehicle specific part. Left and went to my store when they opened Monday. Walked out with flasher two minutes later.
Dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mag V10,Mag V8
Well nothing comes to mind but might need brake shoes on my '44 Dodge military axles...imagine that!!(JC Whitney...??)

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I used to get parts for my Shelby Charger I always got "Shelby only worked with Ford" or "they never made that" and then I would have to show them on their computer that it was there

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
next time walk in and ask for spark plugs for 78 Yugo with a 2011 pinto engine with the 454 in in lol
when ever I go to get parts I ALWAYS say quad cab 4x4 w'air cond. power windows, the guy looks at me and laughs and knows where I have been before.
His computer doesn't care if its a quad cab or not lol

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I currently work at another chain parts store and this is correct. Computers are supposed to help but sometimes they just complicate the most simple task. Then to top it of the computer geeks decide that we need a new program on the computer, instead of developing a complete new program they just design an add on that sort of works with the other one. Went to work one day and according to the computer we didn't have one part in the store, nothing. We could look up part numbers and then go look on the shelf to see if we had it or not. Its all good when it works.

I don't understand why companies have bad coded computer programs. I am 29 year old vet and never did programming but now after a year at my University I can program some complicated sh*t. So I shake my head when I hear these stories. I criticize the f**k out of my wife's IT department.

Then again before programming I have 10 years with PC Repair and Networking from both Civilian and Military Life. So, yeah I am unsure what there deal can be.

Inventory would be EASY to code and spit out to you guys at the store. Shoot they could use processing the software with a simply GUI rofl.