6.7 Emissions issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coffee_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am looking into buying a 08 6.7 cummins with 120k miles. Now i have been doing some research and have noticed a lot of people having issues due to the egr and dpf on these trucks. Now here is my question if i were to buy this truck which is currently running fine and delete the egr and dpf and also add a tuner and a straight pipe is it possible that the damage has already been done from running the truck for 120k miles with the egr and dpf or will the delete kit clear the system and be fine.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The soot buildup that has occurred over the last 120k is the only real 'damage' that has been done to the truck. As long as regular oil changes and other maintenance has been done you should be fine. Have a good shop vac ready when you do the EGR delete so you can clean everything up as it will be a mess. While you in there you will want to check/clean the grid heater as well. They are known for getting clogged up on a stock truck as well.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

truckmen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
While you in there you will want to check/clean the grid heater as well. They are known for getting clogged up on a stock truck as well.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Please excuse me stupid question but:
What is a grid heater, what does it do, where can I find mine and how can I detect it being clogged?

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins with 6-speed drive >10,000 miles/month hauling cars.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What is a grid heater, what does it do, where can I find mine and how can I detect it being clogged?

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins with 6-speed drive >10,000 miles/month hauling cars.

As far I know it preheats the fuel before it's injected into the cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cummins doesn't use glow plugs in any of the RAM trucks. The grid heater heats the incoming air to aid in starting and efficiency.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

The grid heater is located at the mouth of the intake horn. It heats the air as it passes through entering the cylinders to aid cold temp start ups. The element fins have a habit of the collecting soot being sent in to the engine when the EGR opens.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310