The Pedal Commander review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Honestly I've owned my truck since 2010 and have never used the cruise control.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a post about this product, but I'll just add my review here too.

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins. I"ve owned HEMI RAM's in the past. So I know how the pedal feels in them. Compared to the Cummins, the HEMI pedal feel is much better.

The RAM 2500HD with the Cummins has a very weak peddle. That is, the truck has a slow take off. Even if you 3/4 or more the throttle, the 2500 moves slow.

I bought the pedal commander, fully ready to return it if it did not make a change. I expected it to simply "move" the throttle curve up. That is, I figured it would make ~40% throttle feel like 80%. But its so much more then that.

I was shocked at the results. The turbo spools up much sooner, and the transmission down shifts much sooner. It will spin the tires from a dead stop now. The truck is a pleasure to drive now, so much more responsive.

I've found that Sport 3 or 4 works best for me. Sport + is really not driveable on streets. At that high of a setting, it almost feels like a lose wire or something. The throttle is un predictable, at too sensitive. I have also tried ECO modes. There it feels like a large ship. Truck will move very slow from a stop.

My MPG's have gone down. Although, I'll freely admit that I'll press that throttle more now. I'm sure if I ease in to it, like I did before I can re obtain good MPG. Before the unit, I was seeing ~18 to 19MPG in town, 24 freeway. The freeway is same, but in town is now ~16.5 to 17.

Truck is stock AF currently, except Pedal Commander.

Cruse control question: I use Cruse control on long drives, and seems it is affected by the commander.

I'm sure the BD solution does the same as Pedal commander. I went with Pedal Commander because of the wider range of settings. It is easier to adjust too, simple buttons. The BD unit, you have to open and set jumpers for range, or buy a knob.

I highly recommend for anyone with a diesel. Even if your NOT into performance. Just the improved driveability makes it worth it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm sure the BD solution does the same as Pedal commander. I went with Pedal Commander because of the wider range of settings. It is easier to adjust too, simple buttons. The BD unit, you have to open and set jumpers for range, or buy a knob.

I highly recommend for anyone with a diesel. Even if your NOT into performance. Just the improved driveability makes it worth it.

I went with the BD solution simply because it was all the talk and I ordered just before all the chatter about Pedal Commander started. I ordered the BD with the remote control push button switch which allows settings for off, 50%, 75%, 100% and insane mode, plus a valet mode. I have not tried a Pedal Commander but it sounds like they both do the same thing. The BD with the switch is about $23 more expensive that Pedal Commander. Both are too expensive but maybe that will change now that there is market competition.

The differences are mounting, the BD can be located behind the dash with a dash mounted switch, that is nice but once I set the BD to 50% I found that is all I needed and left the setting alone.

I also found the pedal response on my Hemi fine, but the Cummins, it really needed help and I installed the BD on my Cummins. No issues noted using the BD with cruise control.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruse control question: I use Cruse control on long drives, and seems it is affected by the commander.

How exactly does the cruise seem affected? This is a concern for me, because I do use my cruise control often.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
How exactly does the cruise seem affected? This is a concern for me, because I do use my cruise control often.

It seems to be more "jerky". I can only assume its due to the sensitivity increase.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is what I used to run in my Ram, until I put it up for sale. Excellent unit, just more then what I was in need of sadly.2827f43b3bb81ef9c808cf91c2c0458c.jpg

F.O.F

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Umm, this is very interesting. I thought it sounded like one of the bogus throttle enhancers that don't do crap.

But reading the reviews on Amazon, I hardly see anything negative about. The price is kinda step for a box and programming that takes them 10 minutes to do but ole well. Going to have to look into it.

So is this just throttle response, have anything to do with helping transmission shifting and down shifting?

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It seems it's dedicated solely for throttle response which is the only thing I needed enhanced on my Ram.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Placed my order for one today. Can't wait to see what it'll do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes their website isn't exactly the greatest but the best part is the return policy. If you can, buy it install it and if it doesn't work return asap. It's not like you will need to mount it to see if it works and if it does, you're good to go. If not again easy enough to return. :)

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
has anyone tried one of these on a manual trans? this sounds like something i need for my 08 2500

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I looked hard at these a few months ago, ordered one, then cancelled and went with a tuner instead.

Since then I've seen people running them alongside custom tunes. Anyone that can chime in on this? Nothing but positive reviews and the haters don't seem to understand what it does.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't have any tune, but you can tell that I am quite a fan. Will it replace a tune, not even close but what it does do is put a smile on my face everytime I push that go pedal lol.