AC conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
Has anyone done a AC conversion? I have a 86 W150 with a 318. I've been thinking about redoing my ac system because the one I have isn't working right now. I've read on other forums where people just pump it down and refill with 134. I don't plan on doing that because the oils don't mix correctly between 12 and 134. Any insight is appreciated.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think when people do the conversion they generally drain the entire system and change the oil. you likely want to change the oil anyways since it is pretty old anyways.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best way is to drain as much old oil as possible. Replace the drier. Recommend a new expansion valve. If any of the hose and connections look oily/wet they are leaking and should be replaced. Once ready full system with Esther oil to recommended amount, install new 134 retrofit fittings, draw a deep vacuum for at least 30 minutes. Charge initially at 3/4 of r12 capacity. Watch pressures and slowly add till pressures are good. Also check fan clutch

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
... I'M going to ask a question here . My 1988 V8 318 HAS THE old V style compressor on it .
AC DOESN'T WORK & I believe the compressor is leaking in it's front . SO I bought an old dodge ram charger 1987 318 & It has the Sanden compressor on it . What would be wrong with me changing all the pulleys & stuff off the front of the 87 motor onto the 88.
& I'd think when it's time for another compressor it'd be easier to get a good SANDED STYLE . & I BELIEVE THEY use less HorsePower than the v STYLE .
...........what's wrong with my thinking GOOD or BAD ..

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
... I'M going to ask a question here . My 1988 V8 318 HAS THE old V style compressor on it .
AC DOESN'T WORK & I believe the compressor is leaking in it's front . SO I bought an old dodge ram charger 1987 318 & It has the Sanden compressor on it . What would be wrong with me changing all the pulleys & stuff off the front of the 87 motor onto the 88.
& I'd think when it's time for another compressor it'd be easier to get a good SANDED STYLE . & I BELIEVE THEY use less HorsePower than the v STYLE .
...........what's wrong with my thinking GOOD or BAD ..
Nothing wrong with using the Sanden compressor. It actually does use less power to run the compressor too.