1988 D100 V6 3.9 codes 26 & 33 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Not sure whats going on with my truck. Stumbles terrible if I go to restart it after warmed up either right away or 1 mile down the road. Can barely limp it home... Ran the codes on the info panel & coming up with code 26 & 33..
33 is I think a AC Clutch relay circuit & the truck never had AC so I don't know if that's important..... Can't seem to find what a code 26 is... Appreciate any impute I can get on whats going on. Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? this might be what the issue is

1980s Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge computer fault codes
During cranking, the computer will test the current through the injector to see whether there's too much resistance in the injector's path. If there is, code 26 is set.

The problem may be cured with tuner cleaner on the connectors.

For TBI engines, the injector's cold resistance should be between 0.9 and 1.2 ohms (specs vary with year). This is a peak-and-hold injector. With the engine idling the peak period should be about 1.2 milliseconds whereas the hold period will vary. If it's lower than this at idle, then the injector's shorted or there's a defect in the injector driver circuit.

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well thanks for the info.... What I have is an 88 D100 with the v6 in it. It has a factory Holley, ( I assume TBI).... My next question is where are these connections located that you suggested cleaning and OHM testing ? I have a bank of connections on top of the passenger rear side Valve cover. I also have some wires in the TBI on the Top side.

Its weird, yesterday it was stumbling everytime I started it & today it started and sounded fine.... But its still throwing a code 26 today ....

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think you might have to take the top off above the injectors to get to where you need to be to check them with a multimeter.

did you erase the code? if not it is likely the same code stuck in the system. i think codes generally stay in the computer for 50 key cycles or something like that. i think you can reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and trying to start the truck. should clear the codes.

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ok Thank you again ! I have the air cleaner off and can see 2 possible injectors looking down the barrel of the TPI... They appear to have Black Caps over them. Is this where your talking ? If so then I guess what your saying is pop those covers off & then ???? Just disconnect, Clean the connections and run the current test......Correct ?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya you have to pop the top of to get access to things but if it seems like it is running better you could put it off see if the issue has sorted itself out. could also try clearing codes.

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ok I'll unhook battery & see if that clears code... I ordered a new o2 sensor & That should be here Tuesday... Thought that might be the problem.... If not then I'll proceed with your idea... I appreciate your help.

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
YES NTK, I think I picked up on that one from one of your other posts. By the way, unhooked battery & reset computer, now no code 26.... Spooky, It has rained here pretty hard all spring & then been dry and windy for the last few days... Humidity/moisture ?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is possible. you never really know with old vehicles. could be something simple or just a bad connection.

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well put the 02 sensor in & popped the covers off the TBI to expose the injector wires & those looked clean & unrusty/crusty... So Tried starting & code 26 came up..... Unhooked the battery for 20 minutes & Started truck & it ran fine, Cked coded & 26 was gone.... Tried it again this AM, nope running rough again & code 26 back..... Out of ideas

OP
OP
M

MiMod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
UPDATE, Found a bad section of wire on a fusible link on the drivers side fender well. A Vac Hose that sorta collapsed & a slightly dirty injector... Running decent now...

Dcdoc45

Reaction score
Ram Year
1991 W150
Engine
3.9L V6
UPDATE, Found a bad section of wire on a fusible link on the drivers side fender well. A Vac Hose that sorta collapsed & a slightly dirty injector... Running decent now...

How did you clean the dirty injector?
I need to clean mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk