Installing HIDs in your 2013 OEM Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Quick question if I have a 2010 with quads and hids if I want 13+ projectors can I just pop in my hids by drilling a hole and would my turn signal and high beam still function properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no...you'll need our projector adapter to mate the lights to the truck.

rossbourne14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I purchased the Morimoto Elite Mopar HIDs, along with purchasing the harness to operate the lights from retroshop. My truck came with quad lights, I purchased a pair of OEM projector lights. I'm confused on how to use both the Mopar kit, and the adapter kit from retro shop together? It seems like I'm missing something, I have a 2016 Ram 1500 came stock with quads please help

OP
OP

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
You will use both parts there.

The adapter is what mates the lights to the truck, the 15+ harness is what sends power to the HIDs.

Shoot me over an email if you have any questions on the install (or call us!) - and we can get you squared away.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Morimotos were delivered this week and I was able to the install this evening. First thing, wow these are bright!
However, I ran into two separate issues after install. One is when they fire, the passenger side makes a very loud whine which gradually gets quieter over about 10 seconds. Loud enough to make someone jump if they are walking in front of the truck when I turn them on.
The other issue is a bulb-out warning. My truck came stock with quads. I purchased OEM projectors and then the conversion harness from retroshop. All worked flawless. So right after install, all lights are working but I get a parking light/left turn signal out message. Funny thing is front and rear blinkers operate at normal speed, but dash light and driver mirror signals are hyperflashing.
Anyone have thoughts on these?

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately more updates on this.
I tracked down the bulb-out/hyperflash issue; found a wire had pulled from the quad-to-projector harness adapter connector. I fixed that up and that solved that issue.
The loud whine continued from the passenger side. I drove it for the day figuring I'd just let it slide until later that night when the driver side went out.
I disassembled the truck again and checked all the connections; still nothing. I then swapped the components from one side to the other. The loud whine had then transferred to the other side as I would expect (definitely the computer module, not the igniter). The light that had gone out on the left then worked again while on the right; but only for a few hours before it went out again. I've tried swapping all the components in a myriad of configurations with no luck. So I was left with one side that works but sounds horrible, and the other that works for a few hours then quits.
Needless to say, I've yanked it all and back to square one with the halogens.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
jtjt.JPG

I stumbled upon a light vidoe on youtube that had heatsinks for the resistors, that looked smart. Do the models for the 2015+ have that from Retro Shop now to? Maby some upgrade for easy installation!??

I could not find any info on Retro Shops site, will order lights soon and may have to hunt heatsinks from some where els. Will order lights from you guy's ;)

Last edited:

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This thread needs an update. WTF does this connect to? There'
2 of them
20180427_162604.jpg

miran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are some comparison pics. The left side is still the stock halogen, on the right side the new 35W HID is installed.
After several years of use I'm still more then satisfied with these HIDs. Thanks Jeremy!
Miran

luci2.gif

luci1.gif

luci3.gif

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio