Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Was at Auto-zone this morning looking at cold air intakes and they had one for my truck, I almost bought it, but I decided to ask y'all what ya thought about it? What do they do performance wise?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Helps in air flow. Getting rid of the ribbed stock one and how it clogs with the filter right before the throttle body.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Here is mine that I made
100_2144.jpg

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You got a link for the one they had for sale? We can give ya a yeah or no on it.

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Luke(MI) - you might want to ask adamwilkes14 about his, he has a '96 with a 14x3 air filter, he really likes it.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Luke(MI) - you might want to ask adamwilkes14 about his, he has a '96 with a 14x3 air filter, he really likes it.
Here is the 14x3 setup
l_2439fd3ad3ebe0ec0022145d2629c906.jpg

With any CAI he is gonna watch out too, since he muds.
Luke I would take a look at ones that are enclosed. I believe Volant has one

Last edited:

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
S&B also has an enclosed filter. I love mine
798acbaa.jpg

e35ba80e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
I have a cone shaped enclosure for the filter one of the guys gave me when I was asking about them. Basically like a sheet metal "coat" that clamps around the pipe and shields the filter, It's 7" around at it's biggest and 6 at it's smallest, and has slots cut into it, and a 3" round hole on the end. It's hinged on one side and has 2 clamp latches on the other If I hadn't dropped my camera I'd get a pic for ya.

Joy Ehlers

I Love RamForum!
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
like cold air intake, it brings cool air to the engine from the outside system. The air has oxygen and through this it generates more power and it improves performance and acceleration.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is really factually inaccurate. All air has oxygen in it. Cool dense air simply has more oxygen. In addition, since most CAI get their air at virtually the same place as the stock intake, they are not truly "cold air" intakes. Rather, they simply reduce restrictions compared to the stock intake.

I know that the majority of our members already know this, I posted for any of our newer members who may still be expanding their knowledge base.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I get mine from the front I think just helps in getting the flow there
100_2123.jpg

Roman4405

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is really factually inaccurate. All air has oxygen in it. Cool dense air simply has more oxygen. In addition, since most CAI get their air at virtually the same place as the stock intake, they are not truly "cold air" intakes. Rather, they simply reduce restrictions compared to the stock intake.

I know that the majority of our members already know this, I posted for any of our newer members who may still be expanding their knowledge base.

So, would it make more sense right now to just get a drop in replacement by k&n or amisol? I'm not planning to do too much right now but I'd like to be able to get the most out of my truck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
some days I think about going back to a drop in. I don't "need" a CAI..........but it sounds spiffy. :D

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, would it make more sense right now to just get a drop in replacement by k&n or amisol? I'm not planning to do too much right now but I'd like to be able to get the most out of my truck.

There are lots of opinions on that...

Let me share MY experience and then you will understand MY opinion.

I have had a PVC "******* pipe" intake, a mopar/k&n "filter on a stick" intake, a vararam "ram air" intake, and now a k&n drop in filter.

The ******* pipe and mopar/k&n gave the same performance- a slight loss of bottom end (felt while towing) and a slight gain during wot runs.

The vararam was a gain all the way around, low end to top end. The quality was a little cheesy, but it was a performer. There are some concerns when running in/near water with the low intake scoops.

Now I run a drop in. I have all of my lowend and no water worries, at least not any more than stock.

Although I have some performance mods, I am obviously not a track truck. I run 37s and I tow, so bottom end is king for me.

I am positive that one of the street guys will have a different impression of these intakes.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are lots of opinions on that...

Let me share MY experience and then you will understand MY opinion.

I have had a PVC "******* pipe" intake, a mopar/k&n "filter on a stick" intake, a vararam "ram air" intake, and now a k&n drop in filter.

The ******* pipe and mopar/k&n gave the same performance- a slight loss of bottom end (felt while towing) and a slight gain during wot runs.

The vararam was a gain all the way around, low end to top end. The quality was a little cheesy, but it was a performer. There are some concerns when running in/near water with the low intake scoops.

Now I run a drop in. I have all of my lowend and no water worries, at least not any more than stock.

Although I have some performance mods, I am obviously not a track truck. I run 37s and I tow, so bottom end is king for me.

I am positive that one of the street guys will have a different impression of these intakes.

Thanks. I think part of me wanting a cai is that it looks cool, but I'm not gonna do too much to it anytime soon so a drop in is probably what I'm gonna do. When I decide to get an exhaust then maybe I'll get a cai.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I use a ram air type setup on mine that is truly a cold air intake. I have flex hose that goes to the air filter housing run to the opening in the front bumper, so the air entering the housing is gathered from outside, rather than under the hood, and the faster you drive, the more cool air is forced into the housing. Seems to work pretty well, although you definitely have to clean the air filter more often, as it seems to gather a lot more dust, dirt, bugs and leaves this way, especially when driving off road. Dave

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are there any differences between an intake setup or the air cleaner in power, torque and mpg.

dblisle

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab
Engine
Magnum 5.2 L 318
K&N Not fitting over Throttle Body

Evening,

I have a K&N 57-1511-2 that is having clearance issues with my 5.2l engine. The screw stud hole is offset from center and there is very little space to squeeze the intake over the throttle body. Right now it appears slightly canted on the throttle body.

I could use advice if anybody know if the throttle body in the Mexican Built Rams is different than the US built Rams?

Thank you

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Need an s bolt or offset bolt bracket. Spectre sells the s bolt or the offset bracket is standard on factory Dakota airhats