Time For A Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Someday I want to join you in the CTD fun with an Aisin though. I can't fit my family in a truck anymore so was considering a Diesel Suburban maybe I can put Ram heads on it to pretend Ram makes a big SUV for me. :(

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what did all that cost you? "Ball park" is good enough-

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Someday I want to join you in the CTD fun with an Aisin though. I can't fit my family in a truck anymore so was considering a Diesel Suburban maybe I can put Ram heads on it to pretend Ram makes a big SUV for me. :(

LOL

They used to make diesel powered Suburbans back in the day. I bet you could do a Cummins swap and then you can tell the wife you got the family a hybrid. :naughty:

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So what did all that cost you? "Ball park" is good enough-

It depends on whether you do any of the work or not.

A full delete, with a cold air intake, tuning & software, egr delete, throttle valve delete, cat delete, straight pipes, ********* tip at the back...with all labor performed by a shop would be right at $2800 - $3000.

Add the Edge CTS 2 programmer/configurable display + $450

Someone with good computer skills, some wiring savvy and with a full set of tools can reduce their price by $550 - $600.

Given the little bit I've driven the truck since the work was complete I can honestly say it's worth it.

A couple of optional items to consider would include the BD Diesel 68RFE valve body upgrade and a deeper transmission pan. Flowing more fluid at higher pressures will keep those clutches from overheating, slipping and failing.

Oh...beware the 120 HP tune which I've decided to call the "HolyPhuck!" tune.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hit 38 psi yesterday afternoon on the 80 HP tune (Tune #3) and I had no idea my truck could move like that.

I need to back off a bit until that BD kit goes in the transmission! LOL

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I wouldnt make a habit of going over 38 psi that often, your headstuds wont like it and anything over that is really over the stock turbos efficiency.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh, you got that right, Cody.

I'm gonna be talkin' to the shop later today because I firmly believe I need a few more upgrades to help keep this thing in one piece!

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha ha domino effect. One upgrade turns into another and another. Sounds like your truck is gonna be a monster when your done with it. If I had a CTD I would definitely do this also. My bro has one and his check engine light has came on several times before 30k for DEF system crap.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had 5 CELs in 5200 miles. Once it went into limp mode, leaving me by the side of the freeway in a very rural area. I was not happy at that point.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Throw a s.465 turbo and 2nd gen kit on there and you will see 50psi boost easy.
Do miss my 6.7 it was a beast..

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you can manage to keep the tune setting low you can have a very reliable truck as is.
I can't leave the tune setting low!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
LOL...neither can I, Cody.

I'm gonna go ahead with the transmission upgrade from BD Diesel & get a deeper pan.

I talked to the shop owner this morning and he will do the head studs if I want them done but doesn't think I need 'em as he is certain the OEM studs were upgraded for the 2014 and up trucks. He has done a LOT of trucks and said he hasn't had any newer Cummins powered trucks come back with head stud problems.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL...neither can I, Cody.

I'm gonna go ahead with the transmission upgrade from BD Diesel & get a deeper pan.

I talked to the shop owner this morning and he will do the head studs if I want them done but doesn't think I need 'em as he is certain the OEM studs were upgraded for the 2014 and up trucks. He has done a LOT of trucks and said he hasn't had any newer Cummins powered trucks come back with head stud problems.

No upgrades to the head studs, they are the same as the previous 6.7's. The tuning is what got the upgrade, bad tuning was the cause of most of the head gaskets failures on previous year trucks. I have yet to hear of a head gasket failure with any one running EFI live and I know quiet a few.

With EFI live tuners have access to a lot more parameters and a reputable tuner can keep the drive pressure's under control preventing the head from lifting.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are three other tuned Rams in our neighborhood + we have several visitors from time to time that own them too. Neighborhood doesn't seem to mind... LOL