Uconnect 8.4 & 8.4an update - 17.11.07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
The saga continues

The dealer after scratching my door had the truck another 3 days making it 4 days in total to fix the USB not working after the 17 version update

The y replaced the wire and the USB hub assembly and still nothing
I had to have the truck back so I went it and told them I have to have my truck back.
I figured I would take it to someone =that would do more than swap parts. the incompetence of their staff is staggering
So I thought I would try my hand at fixing it last night. came across a setting that said return to factory defaults. Thought to myself what do I have to lose right ?

Did that now the splash screen comes up SLT ??? effed up right ? not sure how to get it back to the way it was when I bought it ? Please any help is appreciated , not a fan of the new splash screen as I do not have and SLT ....

But I continued to look through all the settings and came across a setting called auto play. turned that on and boom , this had to be the problem the whole time so after a scratched door 4 days in the shop I fixed it in about 45 minutes of just Fielding around with the settings ???

But now the splash screen? please let me know if you have any ideas how to return it to the way It was

I have a 2015 Outdoorsman

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you sure it's not the SRT logo on the splash screen? Previously all RAMs had the same splash screen regardless of trim level, and it was the RAM logo. I doubt that has changed.

Either way, it should correct itself. When the radio is reset it usually displays the incorrect screen for a little while.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you sure it's not the SRT logo on the splash screen? Previously all RAMs had the same splash screen regardless of trim level, and it was the RAM logo. I doubt that has changed.

Either way, it should correct itself. When the radio is reset it usually displays the incorrect screen for a little while.
This^^^ SRT is the default and every 8.4 (in a Ram) displays that after reset. It will change after a few start-ups...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Sure you guys are right, was going off memory and I am old

cool so it will correct itself :)

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure you guys are right, was going off memory and I am old
cool so it will correct itself :)

So, I got my haircut yesterday, get back in the truck hoping to listen to some tunes that I have on a dedicated thumbdrive that I leave in the truck's USB port. Didn't work. I took it out multiple times and replacing it over and over to no avail till I got home.I was kinda pissed off about it. So this morning, the same thing on the way to work. It did not work. Go into work for 8 hours, come back into the truck today,....now it works. Weird.
Don't forget, these trucks are like computers and sometimes they just need a reboot, or a shut off and need to reset themselves.
Good luck with yours! Hopefully everything goes back to normal.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
when I did the factory reset on my the other day, the SRT logo popped up first thing upon reboot.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok, So I’ve been getting those annoying prompts to install the update on my RAM. I’ve been resisting the update but these prompts are becoming more and more frequent and annoying.

My resistance stems back to my experiences over the years with smart devices, primarily phones both iOS and android based devices but also non phone proprietary electronic devices. In my experience, these electronic devices have an initial release that generally has some quirks needing to be worked out, out comes some fixes and critical updates and bam your off to the races generally speaking. Now some time passes and technology improves. New updates come along to modernize the old devices to be on par or as much as they can be with current technology, the only problem is they were not designed with these new demands. So in turn this band aid approach I find often slows performance and or presents other new issues or worse renders the item useless. Yea there may be some improvements but at what costs. Now I read this will be a forced update after a period of time which is complete crap. I bought my truck, I own it, it’s not uconnects or anyone else’s device to update – give me the freakin option to decline -* I’m perfectly happy with my current firmware version. I don’t care about the new features I’d rather keep my working system intact. The old saying applies here, if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

So I guess enough of my soap box, does anyone know how to disable the update and its annoying prompts to do so?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But I continued to look through all the settings and came across a setting called auto play. turned that on and boom

I did this today and it works awesome.
Every once in a while I take the thumbdrive out to update it with new music on the desktop computer and it doesn't get recognized right away when I put it back in the truck. The 'AUTOPLAY' seemed to fix it.
Good call! :favorites13:

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
anybody in NO get 17 update yet. I have 2013 outdoorsman and would like to get update.. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anyone tried this? They are Canada downloads but I would think they should work. Some have posted in that forum that they work.

Uconnect version 17.11.07 (Canada and Mexico Cars only)
Thanks, I just may try seeing as how my cellular card is fried on the radio. I wonder how the Canada radios get time for navigation? My NAV is unusable because the cellular card cannot keep accurate time to give NAV position.

I know the Canada radios don't have cell cards, maybe this could fix me? It's doubtful, but I may be willing to try. Especially since I've successfully recovered two bricked 8.4s...

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks, I just may try seeing as how my cellular card is fried on the radio. I wonder how the Canada radios get time for navigation? My NAV is unusable because the cellular card cannot keep accurate time to give NAV position.

I know the Canada radios don't have cell cards, maybe this could fix me? It's doubtful, but I may be willing to try. Especially since I've successfully recovered two bricked 8.4s...

How did you recover the bricked units? I have my MY14 8.4AN RA4 that the screen backlight just goes on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs. Failed during an update.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How did you recover the bricked units? I have my MY14 8.4AN RA4 that the screen backlight just goes on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs. Failed during an update.
Is that with the update USB plugged in to the media hub in your console?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll try that now. Thanks.
No problem...after I did that with mY FIRST 8.4 I was able to use the media hub again. I believe it was a driver issue as my media reader just pulsed lights on and off but the radio never responded. if it fails to install again it may be due to a corrupted hardware module (like mine currently). You can bypass the module by performing the following I found on the Jeep forum (so long as it can see the USB update on the adapter or media hub)...

"Hello all, As on numerous other threads, I recently purchased a used 2014 JGC Limited with Nav. Previous owner had not done any updates or even recalls. After following the directions to update UConnect, downloading the file (I had no problem with a scandisk thumbdrive by the way) I too got held up at unit 10 of 12, 1% downloaded. Same error: "Air Card Bolo install failed." I tried with car in RUN, engine off; car engine running, and even while driving. All with the same result: Radio frozen, requesting to put the USB back in.

Frustrated I turned the vehicle off and called UConnect. I got a real person at 2230 on a Sat night. They knew exactly the problem. Here was the fix:

Get back in your Jeep.
Turn the vehicle on, engine running.
When the radio says, re-insert the thumbdirve/flashdrive.
As soon as Unit #1 starts loading and gets to 1% pull the drive out. (Its okay if you get to 4-5 %)
Turn off the engine and vehicle
Open the driver door and wait for the radio to go black (Sleep)
Close the door and start up the vehicle as usual. Update should be done and all systems back to normal."

I found that on another forum and it let's you get by with a partial update (everything after the failure is not installed) but your radio will report the new firmware version you flashed.

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

GPS signals contain very accurate time info. Canadian radios get the time from this source. I am pretty sure US radios get this time signal from GPS as well.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
GPS signals contain very accurate time info. Canadian radios get the time from this source. I am pretty sure US radios get this time signal from GPS as well.
I was under the impression it was a hybrid solution on these. While the GPS has its own very accurate timing I was thinking my clock constantly being off was the reason that it showed my position off as well.

Couple that with my recent 911 errors and my inability to flash the Sierra Wireless portion of the firmware and I may be on to something...

Of course I could be completely wrong.