Front differential leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willmunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is some sort of device on my front differential that is leaking. It is on the passenger side and has a couple of hydraulic lines attached to it.
The truck is a 2001 5.9l , slt. The 4wd seems to work correctly. I did not see anything in these forums when I looked. Thanks for any feedback

OP
OP
Willmunny

Willmunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4wd actuator, I think I found it lol

OP
OP
Willmunny

Willmunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a photo, it smell like gear oil not motor oil

Attachments

• 20170715_103427.jpg
    20170715_103427.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have you checked the fluid level in your front diff? Pull off the plug and stick your pinky finger in there and set the first joint from the tip onto the bottom of the plug area and turn it down. If the tip of your pinky touches the oil, your level is fine. If it doesn't reach it, add oil little at a time until it does.

Or, if you don't care to be that precise, just add oil until it just starts to spill over the fill hole. This is considered "over filled" for our axles but it's debatable if it will cause any real problem. If you're unlucky, oil will leak past the seals and create a little mess.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yes it can leak. It's a metal-cored cork gasket. TBH, I made my own gasket and didn't have any issues but I would suggest new to somebody else. Problem is you can't buy it new. Have to get it as a piece of some other kit. Summit I believe has a kit that eliminates the actuation part of the actuator for like $30. Easy way to make your 4x4 easier to maintain and get the gasket. Or get it for the gasket and keep the other parts around for later if you're unsure about it

OP
OP
Willmunny

Willmunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information guys!