Intake / Exhaust advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello all! I have a '12 1/2 ton crew cab with the 5.7L. Since it's getting up there in miles (120k will be upon me soon), I was wanting to make it breathe better. I'm looking at getting a CAI, exhaust, and potentially some headers. I'm not sold on anything yet, but what are some of y'alls favorites/recommendations?

What I'm leaning towards:

CAI - VaraRam
Exhaust - Craven direct fit (progressive). Possibly the Borla S kit
Headers - Doug Thorley Tri Y

It should be noted that I live in a county without emmission testing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO--this would make a good street package--check with Moe's Performance(a vendor on this site).

Vararam CAI
Magnaflow muffler
ARH Headers
Diablo tuner with Hemifever custom tune
Pedal Commander

Jay

OP
OP
MooseKitchen

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm actually wary of tuners. A coworker put one on his 2011 big Horn, and it locked his truck into 4wd low.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some problems can be user error---thus a custom tune with good support
Jay

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've been putting Diablosport programmers on Hemi powered cars since 2008 and as long as you follow the process, there are not problems. It's not something you should rush.

The benefits are clear...if you have more air in and more air out, you need that programmer to optimize your air/fuel ratios, spark and timing. They work really well and

I am a big fan of the Diablosport programmers and custom tunes. I have one on my Chrysler 300 SRT8 based on a Diablosport Predator unit that was done on a dyno by a trained tuner I had a custom tune on my 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn with the 6.4L HEMI as well, using a Diablosport I2 programmer. Hemifever did that tune and the results were amazing.

You are really shortchanging yourself, and your truck, if you don't put a tune on it.

OP
OP
MooseKitchen

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've been putting Diablosport programmers on Hemi powered cars since 2008 and as long as you follow the process, there are not problems. It's not something you should rush.

The benefits are clear...if you have more air in and more air out, you need that programmer to optimize your air/fuel ratios, spark and timing. They work really well and

I am a big fan of the Diablosport programmers and custom tunes. I have one on my Chrysler 300 SRT8 based on a Diablosport Predator unit that was done on a dyno by a trained tuner I had a custom tune on my 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn with the 6.4L HEMI as well, using a Diablosport I2 programmer. Hemifever did that tune and the results were amazing.

You are really shortchanging yourself, and your truck, if you don't put a tune on it.
Understood

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good luck with the mods.

OP
OP
MooseKitchen

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you. Starting to really dig into the research now. Still a few months off.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck ran like **** when I first did the long tubes (catless) custom tune let her breathe right. Fully adjusted after data logging..runs beautiful. I to run Diablo (trinity) with zero issue

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carven- muffler S&B Intake