Engine dies after gas full up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DReinke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 5.7 hemi has an irritating habit of dying if i have to stop at a light or stop sign if I've only driven a short distance from the gas station after a fill up. It will start and run fine after it quits but I don't like the unplanned stop. Any ideas what is causing the engine to stop?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I can think of being that that is the only time its doing it is you might be over filling you're tank. You could be getting gas in you're Evap system, it's ment for vapors only, not liquid.

OP
OP
D

DReinke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always allowed the gas pump to fill to the shutoff point. I don't try to add more gas after is shuts off the first time. The problem has come up the last couple months so something has changed. Either the station auto off has been modified or something has changed on the truck. I would think the evap system is set up to deal with a tank that has been filled by the pump. I wonder if there is something in the evap system that needs attention?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you always use the same gas station? I'd change gas stations on the next tank and see what happens, some pumps pump slow and some are faster, a slower pump will allow more fuel before it clicks off. I wouldn't think that there would be an actual problem with the EVAP system if you're not getting any warning lights, but that's just me thinking. If it was mine I'd be calling the dealer if changing stations doesn't fix it. Chasing something like this will drive you crazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963