Mishimoto's Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Oil Catch Can R&D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gentle men, gentle men, There is no reason to turn every Catch Can thread into a fight between believers and non-believers. Can't we all just get along? :)

I will admit that I always have my fun in catch can threads talking about the HP gains and proper decal placement to add to that HP, but if there are believers and non-believers there is room in this forum to co-exist.

The thing is I don't think either side can prove or disprove if it makes any real difference in your vehicles. Sure, the believers can show pictures of dirty intakes and non- believers can point to many vehicles with high mileage and no issues without catch cans.

Main point is nobody can force people on each side to repent either way. Let's all just enjoy our trucks . :favorites13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Placed my Pre-order! Now I am just waiting for you guys to announce that you are working on a performance radiator for the Ram 1500 with the 5.7L (hint, hint...)

Awesome! We've gotten so many requests for that, it's getting hard to put that off for much longer. I've, again, forwarded the interest in a radiator based off the responses from this thread. We will look into it!

Post number 21 is the best description on this item or any oil catch can, for that matter.
If they were all free, I would not install one.
The manufactures of this product and any catch can has found a gold mine in the people that are so naive about their Hemi motors.
How about Helium for your tires?LOLOLOLOLOL
Capitalism at It's best.

Not sure about him, but I try to help people. I am cheap, so I won't buy anything unless I know it has a proven benefit. Some people buy just because everyone else did, or it's the forum ***** (saw this all the time when I was big into Car Audio). I think people should at least have an alternate opinion to think about before spending $200.

You are right though, I should not insult anyone that has bought one. I know people pay a hell of lot more money than $200 for peace of mind. I will however continue to argue that it's benefits are not proven.

Catch cans are more of a preventative measure than anything. It's not a part designed for you to see immediate benefits or changes in performance. Some automotive manufacturers design engines to have factory air/oil separators, so the issue is prevalent enough that engineers in that field have devoted time to it. The problem with AOS systems is that they just reroute what they separate back into the system.

The reason you don't see companies have a kit like our on their cars is because it's an extra step in maintenance the general driver will have to pay attention to, and in the automotive field, that's something engineers tend to stay far away from.

Our market research team won't suggest we make something that is totally and completely unnecessary for that market. We carefully vet every avenue of aftermarket parts to be sure that it's something the community will want and can certainly benefit from. Some parts, the benefit comes later on down the road, some are immediate bolt-on parts designed to bump your power output. It all depends. In this case, this is a maintenance part that we have shown can provide benefit.

I can go back to our catch can project on our 2016 Mazda Miata.

Oil-Buildup-1.jpg
Check out the full writeup at this link

Within 3000 miles, the walls of the intake manifold already had a thin coating of oil. While this may not really seem like a big deal, combustion efficiency is already affected due to the mixture of contaminants like oil being burned. That is also what causes carbon deposits on your valves. Catch cans significantly reduces this from happening, which is good for your engine in the long run.

Of course, there are vehicles out there that hit 200,000+ without a problem not running a catch can. But what this product does is just make the engine run a bit cleaner. This is also why a lot of people with applications that have forced induction need catch cans. Since this blow-by goes to your intake track, that means it will get to your turbo and intercooler, and that is bad news.

We've cancelled catch can projects in the past after we found that our design wasn't doing anything. But catch cans can work if designed properly and if the application it's designed for throws a lot of blow by, making it more necessary on some applications than others. For this truck, we have documented evidence that the product is doing something! Otherwise, we certainly would not have spent the time to make it. Any catch can we make goes through extensive testing to be sure it's doing something. Hope this clears a bit up! Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

-Diamaan

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
While not definitive, Road and Track weighed in on the science behind these. Not all Catch Cans are created equal.
How Oil Catch Can Works - Why Doesn't My Car Have an Oil Catch Can?

Also, doesn't Chevy employ factory installed Catch Cans on some of their performance engines that auto drain back into the oil pan?

That's a cool video in that link, pretty informative!

Those are more known as air-oil separators or AOS. It performs similar duties to a catch can, but it routes the caught content back into the engine instead of actually catching anything. A true catch can holds the content that is caught for you to dispose of so it completely removed from the system.

-Diamaan

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I'm going to come up with a product for the Hemi motor, it will be the only one of It's kind, I will claim 16 horse power, can you imagine the fools that will make me rich LOLOLOLOLOL

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what is the price and is there any chance for a group buy price?

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is correct. Early September!

The presale price is set at $169.95, and we are not planning to do any group buys.

-Diamaan

Do you have an updated timeline? I haven't heard anything.

Thanks

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone heard back?
I sent a Direct Message to Diamaan, and I emailed the Mishimoto customer support this afternoon. Just looking for an update since the original timeframe was early September.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone heard back?
I sent a Direct Message to Diamaan, and I emailed the Mishimoto customer support this afternoon. Just looking for an update since the original timeframe was early September.

I did the same, no word. I'm at the point of wanting to cancel and get something else.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Billet Tech always has a once a year 40% off black Friday (close to that date).

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Anyone heard back?

Looks like he hasn't been logged in since 8/25. I'm not in a huge hurry to get mine but a lack of communication isn't going to cut it for long.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks like he hasn't been logged in since 8/25. I'm not in a huge hurry to get mine but a lack of communication isn't going to cut it for long.

Agreed, no hurry, but as a point of feedback the communication of late has been lacking and will influence my future purchasing behaviors in regards to Mishimoto products.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got an email back from Mishimoto:

Thank you for the email. I do apologize for the delays on your order. We do list all pre-sale items with an estimated date to ship. We leaves this as estimates so that the production team has time to make changes or revisions if need be. It also allows us some flexibility if there is a delay in the production or shipping process on our end.

Unfortunately it looks like this may have been a product affected. As of now, our most up to date ETA on these products is 10-15-2017. Unfortunately as always this is not a guarantee and simply an estimate. I do apologize for any delays or inconvenience this may have caused you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help in the meantime.

Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with. Mishimoto strives for the best Customer Service.

Best Regards,

Jacob Trimmer
Mishimoto Automotive

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a good thing Mishimoto strives for the best Customer Service. I'd hate to see what the time delay would be if they strived for the worst. :roflsquared:

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I sent an email a few days ago and just received a reply stating that they expect to start shipping Oct 15.