Manfold Bolts breaking and warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a new '17 Sport with 9k miles on it. Is there still a problem with the bolts breaking? The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about going ahead and replacing mine with stage 8 as a preventative measure. Good idea or not necessary? If I go an swap them and one is already broken would it be covered under warranty to have it removed?

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
stage 8's are for headers and will be too short i know they make some manifold bolts but i dont think they make them for the hemi . go to a hardware store and get some grade 8 bolts but as long as its under warranty they should fix them. if the bolts dont break before the warranty is up id say your not gonna have an issue. pull the fender wells out and the tourque spec is 23 ft lb's.

tuned by jay greene

miguelherrera4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine broke at 82k and replaced with grade 8 bolts if given the chance to do over I'd upgrade before they broke because they had to weld a nut to my broken stuff to be able to extract it from the block and ended up being more expensive plus the reason I didn't want to do myself . Id change em before they do break. And if they break under warranty they'll just replace them with the same junk ones. Only to happen again out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Or possibly get the lifetime warranty and not worry about it or most other things...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The issue isn't just the bolts, it's the horrible design of the manifolds :roflsquared:

All that crap should be replaced if you dont want any issues down the road.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a new '17 Sport with 9k miles on it. Is there still a problem with the bolts breaking? The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about going ahead and replacing mine with stage 8 as a preventative measure. Good idea or not necessary? If I go an swap them and one is already broken would it be covered under warranty to have it removed?

I am in the same boat as you. My opinion is they can replace under warranty if it becomes an issue and after I will switch them out with shorty headers and stage 8 bolts (not for power just to fix the issue). Unfortunately Rams are not the only ones with this problem, I have heard Chevy does and I know Ford does as Ford refuses to use stainless steel bolts on theirs and they rust and break.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am in the same boat as you. My opinion is they can replace under warranty if it becomes an issue and after I will switch them out with shorty headers and stage 8 bolts (not for power just to fix the issue). Unfortunately Rams are not the only ones with this problem, I have heard Chevy does and I know Ford does as Ford refuses to use stainless steel bolts on theirs and they rust and break.

The issue is the aluminum head and a cast iron manifold. They expand/contract at different rates, which can cause the bolts to break. The factory bolts have been upgraded a few times but we still see the problem on 2014+ trucks. It's not as common but we still see it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
better bolts? all that tells me is that it will either take longer for them to break, or something else is going to crack.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
better bolts? all that tells me is that it will either take longer for them to break, or something else is going to crack.

The head/manifold aren't going to crack. The bolts are the weak link and it's always the studs on the ends of the manifold that break. They're not going to redesign the manifold/head to try to reduce the issue. Cost far to much for that. Upgrading bolts is the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.