Intakes and Exhausts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTC5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently purchased a new '17 PW. I am a little disappointed with the factory exhaust. Looking to get a new intake and exhaust. I don't like any droning at highway speeds.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone try the aFe intake and their Mach Force-XP exhaust?

Thanks in advance for the help

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm not a fan of open top intakes like aFe, or K&N. You don't get cold air, you get engine bay air and they give off a lot of throttle noise under load.

I have the S&B enclosed CAI that uses the factory external cold air access through the right fender.
Vararam is also highly regarded by RF members that have one.
I've also heard praise for Volant.

As far as exhaust, you don't need to go big time Cat-back.

The factory piping is stainless and its the right diameter unless you're adding serious boost. The factory muffler is large, chambered and way too quiet. It is however bolted on, and every replacement is going to be shorter than that pig. You can buy pre-made direct bolt on replacements with the same quality stainless piping by Mufflex (using a 14, 18, or 24" Maganflow) and Flowmaster now has a bolt on kit too.

I have the Mufflex 24" inserted into the factory system (resonators still in place) and the 5" Chrome tips which give it almost a side pipes sound.
I recommend Moe's Performance, an RF Preferred Vendor-----link-->

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I vote for the S&B intake but the exhaust....well, if you swap out to a system with no resonators it's gonna drone.

What I'd do is replace the muffler with your preferred brand (I like Magnaflow) but leave the resos on and see how you like it.

jlilnc14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4l
I just ordered Black Widow Race muffler. I'll let you know how it sounds after. There's 2 clips on youtube of the black widow on 2017 power wagon. Sounds good. I'm going to leave the resonator on.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Definitely keep the resonators until you know what the muffler does.
Funny thing is some of the mufflers out there are smaller than the resonators...! :crazy:

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey to add on to your thread, I have a new tradesman with the 5.7. Single exhaust. Just looking for a muffler to give me a little more sound, not loud and annoying just better than stock. Not too expensive.
Do you guys have any suggestion?
I have a welder to put it in myself and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickPic83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
looks like everyone covered the bases for exhaust. the stock piping is fine its the restrictive muffler that needs to go. mufflex is a great inexpensive option. I have it on my truck and im happy with it. I actually used the delete pipe kit and cut in a black widow race venom in it. sounds great but is a little quiet for me. thinking of either cutting out the resonator or taking the muffler out.

as far as CAI there are many options and most will do about the same performance wise. as far as actually pulling in hot or ambient air I did some testing on this. there is truth to both sides of that argument. while the truck is sitting still it will pull in hot engine bay air when you first accelerate. once the vehicle starts moving ambient outside air will make its way into the engine bay and you will pull in the outside (cooler) air.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still had light drone when mds kicked in with my resonator still on after intake and exhaust swap. You might need to prepare to be able to turn off mds.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I went with a Volant unit,

Looks nice and has the 100,000 mile filter , also offers a scoop option although you have to buy it separate for like $ 100.00 bucks

I had a singel out the side but went with 14" magnaflow with custom stainless dual out the sides, sounds really good and only cost me $ 350.00 and everything is welded so don';t have to worry about leaks :)

Attachments

• 200 copy.jpg
    200 copy.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 84

JJAGGY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hEMI
Don't use Mufflex!!!

I have a 2016 Power Wagon and I recently purchased a mufflex kit with the magnaflow muffler. The kit seems nice but it leaks like a bitx$! I have an exhaust leak at both connections. I called Mufflex and they told me that I didn't follow the instructions. Anyway on the inlet connection I torqued the clamp down using my 700ft lb impact and it still leaks. I tightened the outlet as well which uses the stock clamp from the tail pipe. Even after multiple adjustments and tightening it down to the point I normally would not recommend, the thing still leaks! So I have a nice newer truck with 15k on it that now has an exhaust leak in two spots. Please do yourself a favor and buy either a real cat back system or go to a local shop and have them weld in an aftermarket muffler.

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can't you you just weld in the mufflex magnaflow kit?

I was just about to buy this.

HamboneHEMI12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought magnaflow and paid 120 to have it welded up.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres only 2 intake options available for the 6.4L, K&N and AFE. why people are suggesting anything else is beyond me. i wouldnt waste my money on the k&n. AFE looks like a nice unit, just more money then i would spend on an intake personally. exhausts i would probably go for something like the mufflex kit, i hear it does drone a bit though. id suggest reading through the 6.4 exhaust thread. lots of info in there.

forte

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power wagon
Engine
theres only 2 intake options available for the 6.4L, K&N and AFE. why people are suggesting anything else is beyond me...

Judging by everyone's engine info, I'd guess posting in the wrong sub-forums.

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm trying to get a little more sound from my PW. And why not enjoy a little rumble: after all it is a hemi and the PW is just bad ass.

I'm new to dodge and PW. I've looked at the mufflex kit and read so many reviews of exhaust leaks.

I'm looking at the aFe intake, header and exhaust. Not many reviews or sound clips out there.

Would this void a warranty?
Would I need it tuned after this?
How loud is this going to be, will I violate some sound ordinance?
What will happen to my gas mileage?

Anything else I should be considering or suggestions?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm trying to get a little more sound from my PW. And why not enjoy a little rumble: after all it is a hemi and the PW is just bad ass.

I'm new to dodge and PW. I've looked at the mufflex kit and read so many reviews of exhaust leaks.

I'm looking at the aFe intake, header and exhaust. Not many reviews or sound clips out there.

1) it could. if a mod can be proven to be the cause of a failure, then yes. its not likely with an intake or exhaust though. a tuner more then likely would.
2) its not needed, but if you want to take advantage of any performance gains this is how you do it.
3) all depends on where you live. i doubt the mufflex would be an issue though, if thats what your referring to. its not that loud.
4) realistically, it will probably go down. if you like the way it sounds, your going to put your foot in it more. if you have self control, then it may remain unchanged. i wouldnt expect any gains though.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

1) it can void it. Unless it directly caused the issue you should be fine but not all dealers will be ok with it.

2) if you do short headers you shouldn't need a tune. If you do long tube you will need a tune. Either way a tune will make the most of your mods

3)it won't be so loud you get tickets

4)mileage could possibly go up or down. Depends on right foot.

We offer a few options. If we can help you let me know. We offer forum discounts as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, I decided to go with the black widow race venom muffler center to center 3.5 " and will use the mufflex muffler delete and will splice in the black widow and have it welded. It's in the mail now.

Clips sound pretty knarly without being obnoxious.

Night RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on how much money you are willing to drop in the exhaust, corsa has no drone. I have it on my 17 Sport/Night and love it even though it was a pretty penny.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I decided to go with the black widow race venom muffler center to center 3.5 " and will use the mufflex muffler delete and will splice in the black widow and have it welded. It's in the mail now.

Clips sound pretty knarly without being obnoxious.

That's my exact setup. I like it but want it a little louder. That's probably my truck on YouTube that u saw..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk