automatic car wash- will it scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run through the touchless wash, then bring it home and do a waterless wash using ultima waterless wash and 4 microfibers. I follow that up with a quick coat if blackfire crystal seal every half dozen washes.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you all say "touchless" you are talking about the automatic car washes that go around the truck but use no brushes? I go to the handheld wand car wash here, foam pre-wash, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, then pull out the big microfiber towel and dry it off. Would it be safe to wax by hand then?

What you described is a touchless wash. I would NEVER EVER wax or even dry a vehicle with a towel after going through a car wash. A vehicle needs a proper wash, followed by a clay bar if necessary, before waxing. Read my post above for an easy wash routine.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you all say "touchless" you are talking about the automatic car washes that go around the truck but use no brushes? I go to the handheld wand car wash here, foam pre-wash, high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, then pull out the big microfiber towel and dry it off. Would it be safe to wax by hand then?

You're scratching the **** out of your truck. Stop drying it after you wash. You're just dragging dirt around on the paint.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a friend who recently bought a nice newer model F250. He has a unlimited use membership with one of the local car wash shops in town, swirling brush drive through type. He takes his truck through several times a week, sometimes turning around and going right back through it twice. I cringe when I hear this. But, his truck is white and not easy to see imperfections.

alexalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've taken my car a few times to an automatic car wash and it wasn't nearly as bad as people make out. It doesn't clean as thoroughly and can't reach some tight spots. I prefer manual wash for my metallic friend and usually use Toronto Car Detailing service.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've taken my car a few times to an automatic car wash and it wasn't nearly as bad as people make out. It doesn't clean as thoroughly and can't reach some tight spots. I prefer manual wash for my metallic friend and usually use Toronto Car Detailing service.

It's doing damage to the clear coat for sure, it can be hard to see unless in the correct lighting but it's there. If you have to use one, use a touchless setup and following it up with a spray detailer while drying it.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lol at this thread.....its a TRUCK guys. I use mine as a truck...not a show car. Unlimited washes with club at local wash for two years ( living here sometimes many times a week) No problems, I machine wax before winter, paint still looks like new.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the people who live in areas with snowy/salty roads, avoid the high pressure washes in the winter months...

All that salt is frozen on your vehicle. As soon as you warms it up and hit it with high pressure water, you're forcing it into gaps between body panels where it normally wouldn't be able to reach. Same with the under body sprays, pushing salty water further up where it normally doesn't get to.

Don't wash your car/truck until spring, after the rain has taken the salt off.

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I go to a car wash that uses the soft cloth to wash instead of brushes. I have a monthly unlimited pass that does a basic wash with the undercarriage wash. No waxes or special BS. I prefer to wash by hand. I work at a coal fired power plant and there is a large steel mill next to my work. So industrial fallout, coal dust, fly ash, and who knows what else gets on my truck. It nice having a good automatic near by so I can wash all of the nasty stuff off my truck after work when it's bad. Over 3 yrs now with my current truck and the paint still looks good. Any little swirls get buffed out.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol at this thread.....its a TRUCK guys. I use mine as a truck...not a show car. Unlimited washes with club at local wash for two years ( living here sometimes many times a week) No problems, I machine wax before winter, paint still looks like new.

That saying has lost its meaning. You could say it back in the day about an old farm truck that you picked up for a couple grand, but trucks have taken over as the family hauler for most and when you pony up $35k-$50k, people want their trucks looking nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Agreed^ most people on here put a lot of time and money into their truck. After I saw how many scratches the self serve car wash brush put all over my black truck, I never went there again. I'll go through the laser touchless car wash to get dirt and salt off. Mine gets driven to a lot of muddy, dusty job sites so it's hard to keep clean

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You must not have a black truck...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed^ most people on here put a lot of time and money into their truck. After I saw how many scratches the self serve car wash brush put all over my black truck, I never went there again. I'll go through the laser touchless car wash to get dirt and salt off. Mine gets driven to a lot of muddy, dusty job sites so it's hard to keep clean

Agreed on brushes...ours has none. I have time and money in mine, but again I didn't buy a show/mall crawler truck:roflsquared:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Agreed on brushes...ours has none. I have time and money in mine, but again I didn't buy a show/mall crawler truck:roflsquared:

Mine ain't no show truck, but since its black, it's worth it to be careful. It shows EVERYTHING. I'm sure other colors aren't as bad to deal with

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will an automatic car wash scratch my paint? (Its a new truck)I like to wash by hand, but my truck picks up dirt really fast, and i like to have it clean. I know it might not make a really noticeable scratch, but just wondering.
Stay away. I have ceramic coat and the detail shop advised against it. Better to get our hand washed if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I use my PW as a truck- towing, hunting, daily driver, dump runs, etc. I've always kept my vehicles and motorcycles in nice condition. Every one that I've sold off I got compliments on how nice and well taken care of they were. I plan on keeping this PW for a very long time, and if/when I decide to upgrade it down the road I know the next owner will say the same thing.

I live in AZ where it's possible to have a rust free vehicle for decades. The flip side of that is the punishing sun. Keeping the paint protected goes a long way in keeping a vehicle nice for a very long time here.

My last beater truck I still washed regularly even though the paint was chipped and dinged in places and I backed it into a tree in the mountains once and I just laughed it off. I guess its in my blood. I've always thought about owning small a detail business when I retire. Hmmm...

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Local dealership has a free one you can run through whenever they are open. Has a pressure washer hose to spray off the wheels and tires and undercarriage, then a basic non brushless car wash. I usually go when it isn't busy and spray my tires and rims with cleaner and blast the rest of the truck with the hose. The I blast the wheels and tires and go through the car wash. It probably leaves some swirls but they are hard to see. I have a new house, 3 kids, and work 6 days a week most weeks, so a proper wash isn't going to happen.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I work in the car wash industry and I can tell you with certainty, your laser washes, and other touchless washes are doing more harm than you realize....most of the time, more harm than a properly maintained/equipped friction wash. ALL touchless washes use ACID to clean your cars....and most goes as far as using hydrophloric acid. Not good. Friction technology and chemicals (lubricating soaps) have come a long way. If a friction wash has new wraps, with good materials, you should be pretty safe to wash. It all depends on how well they maintain their car wash and its equipment/ wraps.